Want better results???? Ditch the elliptical and......

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• speedy740
    speedy740 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    If u don't turn up the intensity on the elliptical then yes it's not as effective. But in the same breath if you go for a stroll on the treadmill you are in the same boat. You are only going to get back what you put into it.
  • Rai007
    Rai007 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    never seen one!! but looks interesting
  • betterrunfaster
    Options
    The elliptical made my knees hurt as well. I just wanna give it away! And to make it so bad I really wanted and had to have it.

Me too! Everyone looks at me oddly when I say that, but the elliptical really makes my knees ache. Whereas running outdoors doesn't. Weird.

From what I've read thats because your feet are held in a stationary position, in other words you don't have the flex we use when running. For others it's no problem, for me, if I don't have a complete range of motion, it is.
  • mustangmach
    Options
    I'm new here, but I'm going to put in my two cents. I've been exercising at a light to mid rate of intensity for decades. I have a bad knee that's missing the ACL, and over the years, I'm sure my cartilage is disintegrating. Recently, I've found it harder to fight off weight, and am investigating different trainers to enhance calorie/fat burn. To keep it short, my gym has these Arc trainers that are supposed to be 'no impact', but the back and forth motion actually causes my knee to grind slightly. I have much better luck, with no grinding, using an elliptical or step motion. I'm thinking of getting the Bowflex Max trainer for home. The motion isn't really elliptical, but the size of the machine, and the more normal rotation of the knee joint, instead of a force sliding back and forth, seems to be a better bet for me.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    They have a machine at my gym called jacobs ladder. Basically, it is a moving ladder that you climb forever.

That thing looks evil. Nobody has ever touched it since I've been there.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I love the step mill!!

I'm a runner, but on my days that I do cross training or strength training, I like to warm up with 10 minutes on the step mill AS FAST AS IT CAN GO. If I'm in a mood, I'll go 20 minutes. Talk about crazy hard calorie burn! I think those 10 minutes are harder than an hour on the elliptical.

I haven't used the elliptical in probably a year and a half. I just don't think it's effective for me, but I wouldn't knock it's use for someone else. You never know what someone else's fitness goals/health history/injuries may be.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    I agree. I never feel anything on the elliptical except discomfort in my hips, even with resistance on high. But get me on a flight of stairs? Yeesh.
  • kailibertsch
    kailibertsch Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm new here, but I'm going to put in my two cents. I've been exercising at a light to mid rate of intensity for decades. I have a bad knee that's missing the ACL, and over the years, I'm sure my cartilage is disintegrating. Recently, I've found it harder to fight off weight, and am investigating different trainers to enhance calorie/fat burn. To keep it short, my gym has these Arc trainers that are supposed to be 'no impact', but the back and forth motion actually causes my knee to grind slightly. I have much better luck, with no grinding, using an elliptical or step motion. I'm thinking of getting the Bowflex Max trainer for home. The motion isn't really elliptical, but the size of the machine, and the more normal rotation of the knee joint, instead of a force sliding back and forth, seems to be a better bet for me.

I have the Max Trainer. I like it. It gets me sweating for sure!
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    LOL I had an elliptical. Was great for hanging up wet towels after swimming ;)

Hated using it. 3 minutes and my knees HURT. Not ache, but down right HURT.

Sold the elliptical, joined a gym, and started the treadmill. I LOVE the treadmill.

What's the Step Mill and how is it used?

So I'll join you on the anti-elliptical band wagon :)

I hate the elliptical. The movement feels very unnatural, and my feet go numb. I've tried several types that the gym has (because it's taking over the cardio section-they don't even HAVE stair climbers anymore!). I'll stick with the dreadmill and the step mill any day.