why do women seem to want WHO they can't have?

Options
So from MY PERSPECTIVE it seems that women always seem to want the man who's taken. All of a sudden the once invisible guy has a girlfriend and then he's hotsh!t.

What's the deal? I mean from an evolutionary perspective it makes sense (If another woman is with him then maybe she has access to information regarding his ability to provide for his future offspring so you're more likely to want to mate with him as well). But damn aren't we EVOLVED?

One of my male friends jokes (but not really joking at all) that the best way to pick up a girl at a bar or someplace like that is to arrive with a female. It instantly draws more attention to him I guess.

Now don't get me wrong...I'm not saying there aren't men who do the same thing and go after taken women BUT I think it's more prevalent in women FROM WHAT I'VE OBSERVED. I've never seen men trying to go after their best friend's GF but I have seen women do it! In fact, 2 of my closest friends SCREWED one of our other best friend's now husband. True story and quite sad that she still married him KNOWING what he did.

Isn't there a CODE FOR WOMEN? It seems that guys are more likely to back off when a girl is taken and respect the other guy in that way. Maybe it's just me though.

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Women, for the majority, seem more fond of Drama.
  • Adelphia
    Adelphia Posts: 176
    Options
    Sorry if that's your experience, but both genders are perfectly capable of being ****ty people.
  • Argent78
    Argent78 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I was like that when I was younger.... and before finding the true love! Now... I don't care, I'm happier having what I have :)
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Nope...it works both way. This guy I met at college pursued me for like a year, and slowly I developed feelings for him. However, I was just too young for him and very inexperienced with dating, so I pushed him away. He has a girlfriend now, but every few months or so he tries to "reconnect" with me and even asked me to be with him or come visit. Because I know he has a girlfriend, I will never go there with him. And I see it totally opposite. I have had guys hit on me when they had girlfriends. Some women will do it, but 'I see it more with men than anything else. In general, people may subconsciously want what they can't have.
  • DarkNebula84
    DarkNebula84 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Sorry if that's your experience, but both genders are perfectly capable of being ****ty people.

^Agree! :wink:
  • AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Maybe that's been your experience, but that's not always the case. Speaking from an evolutionary perspective, if a man has solidified a mate, that means he's more successful at reproduction and providing for a family. These are still hardwired into our DNA, despite our evolution. Remember that song "No Scrubs".... yeah, that's a modern-day expression of the fact that females seek a mate with resources.
    I, personally, don't find men other than my husband appealing, regardless of their relationship status. I mean, sure, I can appreciate a handsome guy or a sexy actor, but I don't pursue anyone.
    And, for some people, male or female, the thrill of the chase and "catching" someone and pulling them away from their current mate might be a motivator.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    We really don't need yet another post by a woman (or anyone else for that matter) putting women as a group down by insisting that the majority of women fall into some specific pattern of behavior.

We all need to stop degrading women and men. We need to stop stereotyping. Seriously.

I don't want WHO I can't have. I don't know many women or men who do. Are there some out there with a penchant for chasing the taken man/woman? Sure. You'll find them. But I seriously doubt they're more prevalent in one sex vs. another.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    It works both ways. People just always want what seems unattainable.
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Seriously!!! Some women see it as a challenge to be able to get guys that have girlfriends. These are the type of women that add the "B" in "itch"!!
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    It's my main mission in life to bang all your husbands and boyfriends.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    It seems that guys are more likely to back off when a girl is taken and respect the other guy in that way. Maybe it's just me though.

Uhh sorry but I don't think that is true. I experience it many times when I was single, I was literally "invisible" & no one seems interested to even approach me but now that I have a boyfriend all of a sudden, guys appear from nowhere & start to flirt with me. They even say things to me like "As long as you're still not married, there is still a chance". So I guess its just human nature to want the things in life that we know we can't have.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I do not hunt on someone else field but then again I want nothing to do with a guy that would leave his SO for me...... he can't be trusted
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Seriously!!! Some women see it as a challenge to be able to get guys that have girlfriends. These are the type of women that add the "B" in "itch"!!
    agreed!
    Options
    We really don't need yet another post by a woman (or anyone else for that matter) putting women as a group down by insisting that the majority of women fall into some specific pattern of behavior.

We all need to stop degrading women and men. We need to stop stereotyping. Seriously.

I don't want WHO I can't have. I don't know many women or men who do. Are there some out there with a penchant for chasing the taken man/woman? Sure. You'll find them. But I seriously doubt they're more prevalent in one sex vs. another.

well that is YOUR opinion and you're entitled to it. if you don't like the thread then stay away from it.
  • flapperchic
    Options
    I think some of it may have to do with a comfort level. I don't know about how this applies to just meeting someone in bars, but speaking about long-term friendships, it seems that once the guy is taken (we'll go with this scenario, but it's applicable in the reverse, I'm sure), they tend to relax around females and spend less time "trying to impress" because they already have someone (who they DID spend their time on impressing). They also at this point, don't tend to be so much bothered with women trying to impress them. Women can sense this and once the guy allows himself to be himself and stops trying to make her into something that she's not, then the super-attraction starts.

At least that's been my experience with it.
    Options

i agree that both do sh!tty things from time to time--but this ONE BEHAVIOR seems TO ME to be more prevalent in women than men. I've never seen men trying to go after their best friend's GF but I have seen women do it!
  • EBFNP
    Options
    It seems that guys are more likely to back off when a girl is taken and respect the other guy in that way. Maybe it's just me though.

Uhh sorry but I don't think that is true. I experience it many times when I was single, I was literally "invisible" & no one seems interested to even approach me but now that I have a boyfriend all of a sudden, guys appear from nowhere & start to flirt with me. I guess its just human nature that we all want the things that we know we can't have.

^^ This! I've even lied to men about being in a relationship, and many do not care..There are women who don't care about relationship status, but I would say it works both ways def.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options

i agree that both do sh!tty things from time to time--but this ONE BEHAVIOR seems TO ME to be more prevalent in women than men. I've never seen men trying to go after their best friend's GF but I have seen women do it!

Guess what my current bf is the ex-friend of my ex-bf (they're enemies now but our relationship has nothing to do with that, were both serious) & we met while I was still with my ex & he started to flirt to me also although the reason for the break-up with my ex has nothing to do with him (my now bf). Also I had one ex-bf who was a friend of an ex too. So you see it works both ways, not just for women. Its just that we are more vocal & emotional than men that's why you noticed this being more prevalent to women.
  • EBFNP
    Options
    I think the OP is taking a small sample size and making a generalization...No bueno, IMO!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

Agreed.

I don't know any women who like taken men nor have any made attempts at my husband.