How long did take you to lose 30 pounds

Options

Replies

• ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Hi I am an Aussie so I think in kilos, but it took me three months to lose 30 pounds - and it wasn't difficult. Just walking a bit more, playing on the Wii, cut out sugar and milk in my coffee, and started putting in my food I planned - then juggled things around took things out if they were too much; made sure I ate pretty much to my goal each day.

I too was heading for ONEderland and it was a great feeling when I got there; my next goal was to get out of obese BMI - done; now heading toward my main goal of 70 kgs (currently 81.8 - 180 lb - down from 98 kgs - 216lb). Log in every day; drink your 8 glasses of water; log everything and be true to yourself. Good luck, you will get there :smile: I wish I had know about MFP years ago.
  • gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    When I started back in November, I had a total of 115 lbs or so to lose. I lost 38 lbs in 13 weeks. I completed a 90-day workout program. I think I lost 30 lbs in about 10 weeks. I ate between 1300-1650 calories per day, based on the day; at least once a week, I ate a higher amount of calories (allowed a day to splurge). For context, I am 37 years old.

I wouldn't worry that much about how long it takes you. If you focus on the principles of getting healthier (e.g., eat healthfully, exercise regularly), you'll lose weight and get to that initial 30 lbs (Onederland) goal. That is one lesson I've learned. In the end, when you look back on your progression, it doesn't matter how long it takes you. It only matters that you're working towards the goal.

Good luck!
  • viviennemayer
    Options
    I've started the process last November right before Thanksgiving. I made appointments with a therapist, nutritionist and started going to zumba classes 2 to 3 times a week. I was actually considering gastric bypass surgery or the lapband and wanted to see if I could do it on my own first. I started losing weight consistently but only a little at a time. Then I joined a fitness challenge sponsered by our local hospital with a friend the end of January. The last day was April 28th. Since begining the challenge I've added weight training and have participated in about 5 5k runs. I walked but am now jogging a little. I'm eating way better, haven't given anything up just eat a lot less of the bad stuff and in more moderation. Breakfast was the hardest thing for me to start eating, but once I did, the weight has just kept dropping. Good luck and just don't quit. It's worth the future shopping trips. I now don't hate trying clothes on and I still have about 50 more pounds I'd like to see gone. :)
  • Celeste86
    Celeste86 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    As of today I have lost 33lbs and it has taken me exactly 10 weeks! Good luck!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    21 weeks - officially hit 30lbs down today.
  • crazedcujo
    crazedcujo Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Took me about 5 months.
  • Malgorzata79
    Malgorzata79 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It took me about 3 months. I worked out 5 days a week. And watched my calories. As of August 2011 I have lost 51 lbs.

Remember the slower you take the weight off, the better chance you will keep it off.

Email me if you would like to talk.
  • Alpine005
    Alpine005 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Don't get caught up in self imposed time tables.

Set your calorie goal, log everything, stay under your daily goal and enjoy life. Don't worry about how long it will take.

Set it and forget it!
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I started at 265.8 and it took me just under 3 months to lose the first 30lb. 3 months later I'm 5lb away from losing the next 30 :smile:
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I lost it in 3 months at one point. 45 mins zumba 5 x day and 30 mins walking, plus 60mins + of walking the other 2 days, 1500 calories and mostly clean eating x
  • dbutorac
    dbutorac Posts: 120
    Options
    3 months & 3 weeks or there abouts.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    It took me 6 months for my 30, it's frustrating to lose slowly especially when you are working your butt off, but I know that I have a medical condition that works against me, so I try not too stress and just stay the course, I know that hard work WILL pay off eventually.
  • bmuff
    bmuff Posts: 64
    Options
    I started Feb. 1st, I've lost 32 lbs.
  • mzkezh
    mzkezh Posts: 74
    Options
    bump
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    7 days
    forgot to add. I quit soda pop cold turkey.
    Really?
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    It took me 4 mos.
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    It has tree taken me about 4 months to lose 32 pounds.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    My ultimate goal is actually losing 110 pounds overall. But, right now I am just trying to be in "Onederland" and i need to lose about 30 pounds to reach it. so I like to know how long did it take for some and what were you doing to achieve this.

It depends on how you want to do it and a lot more factors, but I can tell you that I lost my first 30 (of the 85 I've been working on for over a decade now, on and off) the hard way - eating less and exercising more. It took over a year, and involved fasting and overworking myself to injury and a lot of really stupid things.

If you haven't started yet, just upping your water should give you a nice start on the first few pounds. From there, you should be able to stick to a 2-pound-a-week (1000-calorie-a-day deficit) schedule so figure 15 weeks, or about 4 months, give or take. You can accelerate it by increasing your deficit, but my personal experience is that it's generally counterproductive. You might be able to accelerate the first 30-40 pounds, maybe, but it'll probably be a discouraging experience.
  • MortySnerd
    MortySnerd Posts: 1
    Options
    Don't give up. I'm 65 and want to lose 70 lbs. I been at it for ten weeks and lost 21 lbs (5 the first days). But things are slower now, less than 2 lbs. a week. I have wieghed everyday and some times three times a day to try and learn what I can about wieght loss. ANYTHING that will help keep me focused. Strenuous exercise can cause short term gain but long tern wieght loss, but better health all the way around. Stay at it girl, one day at a time.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    7 days
    forgot to add. I quit soda pop cold turkey.
    Really?

yes really. I was almost 500 lbs. when I began. larger people lose weight really fast at first. it slows down though. :frown:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!