Ask me anything about fat/weight loss....

Options

Replies

• TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Another question;

I am 5"5, 182.5lbs, 18 years of age and have 35 more lbs to lose.

I do currently exercise, but I am sporadic. Sometimes, I'll have weeks when I go to the gym every other day. Then some weeks, I won't go at ALL.

However, I work 4 days a week at Starbucks. It's active work, and I only get to sit down for max 40 minutes (which is split) per 8hr or more shift.

When calculating my TDEE, I put it as lightly active - is this right?

Secondly, my TDEE is apparently 2303. I subbed 500 to get 1803. This is what I am on now. Is this okay? Will I almost definitely lose with this number?

If I eat 1803 today, burn 400, how much of that can I eat back, if any?

Also, for last week, I had a deficit of 5110 calories. But I lost 2.5lbs. How is this possible?

Could be water weight. Could be calories not tracked as accurately. It's never gonna be perfect. When I read nutrition facts, usually they are in whole numbers or fives. You don't really see 33.8 calories per serving very often. This is where you once again have to learn YOUR body, and get your trial&error points in with experience.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Hi! I just want to make sure I understand this clearly. MFP set me to 1200 cals a day to lose 2lbs a week. My TDEE is 2800 and my BMR is 2100. So basically I should eat 1200 and not eat exercise cals back netting me about 700 cals a day? Is that what you're advising or are you assuming 1200 is after a cut we took from our calculated TDEE? Full disclosure...I'm a card carrying member of the Eat More to Weigh Less group here on MFP. I may be completely wrong and the result you've gotten speaks for itself but netting 700 cals a day seems like a bad idea, long term, to me. Thank you for your time!

Oh GOD no!! Do NOT net 700 calories a day or you'll be a stick figure by the end of the month! That's just a WEE bit more than a 500 calorie deficit.

Thank you! This is what many ladies here are doing (netting insanely low) and what they're asking you. At 1200 do I eat my exercise calories back? Good Lord YES! You have wonderful advice and thank you for helping us!

My pleasure! Happy to help yeh! :)
  • yallahs1
    yallahs1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have had an operation on my knee and because of it I cannot do the activities I was doing before the surgery at present......Could you suggest any exercises I could do while sitting at home.
  • onmyway1101
    onmyway1101 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am currently on a high protein, (30 grams for breakfast, 20 grams for lunch, and 20 grams for dinner) low carb (about 20-30 grams per day)... I have lost 10 pounds in the first week.... What is your take on this type of lifestyle???.... I got this plan off the 4 hour body.

Who cares about my take! If you're losing and happy, then keep rocking out on it. If you're miserable then it's probably not the plan for you. Sounds like you're doin' pretty good so far though. :)

Thanks so much!
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    First - thanks for doing this!

My question: I started out at 330 lbs and since December I've lost 33 of them. I do strength training 3 days a week and cardio on those days plus 2 more for a total of 5 days at the gym (for about 1 hour each day.) I was losing 2-3 lbs a week and I was eating between 1500-1900 calories depending on my workout for the day.

Then at the end of March I decided to alter my strength training a little bit and do less on the machines and more with my own body weight and/or dumbbells. More squats, step-ups, push-ups, crunches with a medicine ball, and arm work with dumbells. It felt great and was so much harder than my normal workout. But my weight loss came to an abrupt halt. I even started gaining. After 4 weeks of hovering betwee 299-305 I stopped doing those workouts and went back to what I had been doing, thinking maybe I had too much of a calorie deficit to be strength training that hard and would need to up my calories to build muscle but not end up losing fat. Being the weight that I am, I feel like I need more weight loss right now.

Now I am into week 7 since my last weight loss and I still haven't lost anything. I've tried a week of eating more and I've tried taking a week off of working out, but that didn't do anything one way or the other. I fluctuate between 299-306 every couple of days. My food has not changed and I still work out 5 days a week. Is there something I can do to jump start my weight loss again? I am afraid of tinkering with my routine without knowing what I'm doing.
    ^^This

Answered.
    Sorry, I initially missed the response. Thanks!
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    I'm looking to lean out a lot more. I am 5'2 @ 115lbs and I'm looking to drop another 5-7lbs. I work out every day and it looks like this:

30 minutes hard cardio -- running 3x a week and another machine the other days -- followed by about an hour of weight training. I focus on one muscle group/day alternating legs and abs every other day. I do this for two reasons: 1) I work out with my husband and that's what he does and 2) I can focus more on the muscle group that I am working. I lift heavy and I aim for 3x10 but sometimes the reps are more 10, 8, 6 with it getting more difficult to lift towards the last rep on each set.

In the afternoons I incorporate two very brisk walks - 4mph pace in an area that is very hilly. Sometimes I'll switch out the walk and do a jog (we have a dog who is very hyper and needs to be walked twice a day so taking this out of my routine isn't an option).

Eating:

I am for 1,200 cals/day since I want to drop weight. I typically don't eat back my exercise calories (sometimes I do). I don't typically eat sweets, don't drink soda, don't eat fast food etc. and I imbibe in alcohol on the weekends. Pre-workout I have a protein bar (home made not a crappy processed one) and post-workout I make a protein shake.

Is there anything else I should be doing/not doing to reach my goal?

Wow! This is impressive. No, everything looks great. All that matters is you're getting closer to your goal. This is a very healthy and well-balanced plan at first glance. Keep on rockin' with it.
  • CrazyFly7
    CrazyFly7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Bump. These responses are very informative. If I have a question I'll definitely ask. Thanks for offering all your support/feedback to everyone!
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Working out for 6 weeks 30 - 60 min 4 -5 days a week. Limiting processed carbs. Not seeing any weight loss. I am a 41 year old female. I am 5'1 and weigh 160. Have been trying to loose weight and am so discouraged. I try to keep my caloric intake around 1400 a day.

Any ideas?

Hmmm....might be hidden calories, water weight, dieting for too long without a break, stress, etc. I'd really examine the diet more at first though. Coffee is a culprit to many people. Salads also. Creamers and dressings can get ya in trouble VERY fast. Also might wanna reduce the calories another hundred a day for the next week and see what happens.

Thanks. Don't do coffee or caffeine. Salad dressing is usually under serving size and light or FF. Will try reducing calories for a week and drinking more water.

With working out should I be drinking more than the 8 8oz glasses a day?

Thank you again.

Drink water all the time. If you're thirsty, then it's too late....you're already dehydrated. Me personally I try to get 8oz every hour. Doesn't always happen, but I always shoot for as much as I can. Note: Do NOT take this too far. Hyponatremia is deadly. Drink a lot of water, but be smart about it.
  • Phoenix_Angel
    Options
    [/quote]
    This goes back into what I call 'Tricking The Effect'. With strength training, and a smart diet, you can drastically change the game up of how you look. Large hips and but, but want slender legs....then stop training legs intensely! Skinny legs and no hips, then train hips and thighs intensely! Going after the hour glass figure but have boney shoulders? Start hitting the shoulders and upper back intensely twice a week. NOTHING will blow up over one workout. Track your measurements of what you want to get smaller, and what you want to grow larger. If something starts growing to fast or gets to big, decrease the intensity. Hope this answers your question yeh. Cheers
    [/quote]

:flowerforyou: u are a saint
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    I have 6 pounds to lose and up to 3 months to lose it. I would rather not take the whole 3 months, but on the other hand I want the weight to be as much from fat as possible. What would you suggest for a calorie deficit?

Need more info. Gender, age, weekly amounts of exercise, etc. In general for most men, I'd recommend 2,000 calories a day with 45-60 minutes of activity a day. For most females usually 1,200 calories a day with 45-60 minutes of activity. As activity increases, I would increase their calories as well to make sure the body is not taking on anything too drastic too soon.
  • yallahs1
    yallahs1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have had an operation on my knee and because of it I cannot do the activities I was doing before the surgery at present......Could you suggest any exercises I could do while sitting at home.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Just want to say this thread is a goldmine of advice and I really like your replies - short and too the point.

You're quite welcome yeh. Cheers
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    All this is dependent on the person and activity. Some people need more recovery time and others less. I have friends who train legs twice a week, but if I tried doing that, I'd be snapped up by the middle of the third week yeh! Learn your recovery schedule this might be 12 hours for one activity and or muscle, and then 72 hours for another. This might mean 80 grams of protein a day or 150. We're all different.

Roger that, thanks! :)
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    I don't particularly have a question. I just wanted to say thanks for all the information/advice. I find it very helpful!

Glad to be of service. :)
  • Panthers89
    Panthers89 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm very surprised by the little amount of fruit it takes to go over the recommended daily limit for sugars on MFP. A large banana, 10 strawberries, and a large apple maxes out the sugars on a normal day before exercising. Obviously that number adjusts for calories burned, but does the daily goal seem to be too low? With the summer coming up, I eat a lot of fruit, and make fruit salads nearly every week - it would seem that one large bowl would max me out for the day.

I'm not really worried about it because I have been active and working out, but I would welcome some input. Thanks.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Great info - I appreciate your honest answers and the fact that you are not trying to claim - as many other MFPers do - that 1 particular regime will work for 100% of the population. Thanks!!!!!

So right yeh. Many routes out there, just gotta find what train you wanna use to get there.
  • trinawynne75052
    Options
    what can i start doing for strength training? I don't want to start really hard in the beginning.
  • amara0118
    amara0118 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MystiqueASAP
    MystiqueASAP Posts: 747
    Options
    Great thread OP!
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Hi! Thank you for all of your helpful insights, I was wondering what you meant about drinking coffee being detrimental to your weight loss. Can you please elaborate on this? Thanks!

Not coffee, but how we make or get our coffee sometimes. Case in point: My favorite drink at Starbucks is like 600 calories!! If I just had black coffee, no calories whatsoever. I was going into Starbucks thinking ignorantly "Oh well how many calories could they possibly be packing me in a coffee drink."......to my ignorance the answer was a LOT! Lol. Was counting that drink for a month thinking '200 calories tops', while the whole time each of them was 600 calories!!