Ask me anything about fat/weight loss....

Options

Replies

• tinksmommy2006
    Options
    Ok probably a huge repeat Q. but you said anything so....Ok I am a girl...I have ALWAYS had BIG...like 15" around arms...no matter what size I have ever been.....I got them down to 14" right now by lifting weights every other day...3 to 5 pounds depending on what type of lifting I am doing...I also do 20 push ups every other day (that is sadly all I can do...and that is up from only being able to do like 5 in the beginning, don't laugh at me...lol.)...at least 30 minutes of cardio every day...except Sundays......I am starting to gain to much muscle i think...I just want them smaller d*mn it! Any suggestions?
  • jclengerich
    Options
    How bad is diet pop for your body? I gave up drinking regular coke and began drinking diet..I drink 4-6 cans per day. Does it slow down my metablolism? Thk for your help.
  • RussetBrunnette
    RussetBrunnette Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DoingItNow2012
    DoingItNow2012 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Wealth of info. Bumping to shares and to see all of the other answers that will be coming. I am currently experimenting to see what works for my body. My ultimate goal is to see six pack abs. Would be nice to enter a figure competition one day, but right now, just want to see six packs.
  • Karalopolous
    Karalopolous Posts: 574
    Options
    Alright, I'll bite. I'm looking to lose some body fat/build some lean muscle

Tell me if I'm in line with the numbers.

27 yr old female, 170 lbs, 5'3.5 tall, work out with weights 3 days a week (45 minute sessions) and like 2 days of cardio (at about 30 minutes a session)

My BMR is 1550, TDEE is 2400
    I'm eating 1900 calories a day on days that I don't strength train and adding about 200-300 extra calories on the days that I do strength train.
    Macros are 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat.

Anything you would change?

I've been testing this out for about a month, but I'm always up for suggestions :)
  • Khadines
    Khadines Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mrau719
    mrau719 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Fat loss question: I'm 5'7" with 23-24% bf at about 147-149 lbs. I lift weights 4-6x's a week fairly heavy. I added muscle and now I'm ready to cut. Eventually get down to around 19% bf. Is there truth behind eating more to burn fat? I'm having a hard time figuring out how much I should be eating to effectively burn fat but not deprive myself.
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    i do a lot of walking, at least 2.5 hours per day (15k or 9 mile) unfortunately there is no way around this as its the school run. i have my activity level set as sedentary and count the calories burnt. i also try to do at least 3 sessions of Jillian Micheals per week, jogging 3 times per week, and try to do half an hour on my exercise bike everyday, but that's because i was recommended it to strengthen my knee muscles (dodgy knee from an accident 23 years ago)

my questions are.... should i change my activity level, is this much walking counterproductive to my weight loss, and in the long run am i messing with my metabolism

im 35 and since January 2011 i have lost 79 pounds
  • anoroc751
    anoroc751 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Who was this guy? Like a super hero appearing out of no where to help out and than, in a flash, he's gone again.

Thanks for all the time you put into this. You are the "Main Man"!!!!!1
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    BUMP !
  • Kia148
    Kia148 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • FloridaJenn
    FloridaJenn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MOS3
    MOS3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Just started running and read that it doen't burn as much fat as walking. What's your take on that?
  • moe5474
    moe5474 Posts: 162
    Options
    bump
  • teenasbody
    teenasbody Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    This thread is AMAZING you are the best for this

THANKS
  • TheBigBoots
    TheBigBoots Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks for being so generous with your time and knowledge! Not only is this great info, your willingness to do it is really inspirational. Very much appreciated!
  • secretgirl4611
    secretgirl4611 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    480mg of sodium bad?? cuz I had 2 slices of my chicken meat at 20 calories per slice.. But the sodium scares me now :/
    heres the link to what i ate:
    http://fosterfarms.com/products/product.asp?productcode=15003

also, um water weight I had gained about 4 pounds of it in 2 days well when I ate bad junk food..(that im gonna try to stay away from now all wk)
    now the scale says I lost it after I wrapped up my stomach and sweated alot.. HOWEVER, ALL I DRINK IS WATER AND I AIM FOR 8 CUPS A DAY..
    Um, am I gonna gain the water weight once I keep drinking my water again today ?
  • wk9t
    wk9t Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Loving this thread and learning a lot!

Now for my question. I am a 64 year old male and when I was in my 20's & early 30's I worked out religiously and was in decent shape. For whatever reason one day I just stopped working out and really let myself go. In September 2011 I weighed 254 lbs ( I'm 5' 9" ) and was badly out of shape ... then my doctor dropped a bomb on me when she told me I was pre-diabetic. That was my wake up call. In October 2011 I found MFP and I have logged in every day since then and really kept myself on track. I've lost 55 lbs so far!

In December 2011 I joined a gym and I now workout 3 - 4 days a week.. I generally do 15 min of cardio and weight train heavily (for me) for 60 minutes. Since joining the gym I have dropped my body fat from 38% to 27%. My goal is to get to 20%. Do you feel this is a realistic goal given my age?

BTW, I had originally set my goal weight at 185 lbs. I am now at 198. As my body fat percentage drops I have noticed my weight loss has slowed, but I am still losing inches and starting to notice muscle gain. I have now realized that a certain number on the scale is not as important as the body fat percentage.
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    What is the best way for me to loose fat and gain muscle at the same time as a woman?
    Cardo - 3 hours atleast a week
    Weights - 3 days a week
    Cals 1350 (dont eat back but eat pretty clean)
    I am 135 pounds and 5'6.5''
    I lost 17 lbs and now working on muscles but still need to loose about 5 lbs of fat.
    THANK YOU :bigsmile:
  • ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    bump for later reading