Ask me anything about fat/weight loss....

Options

Replies

• Robyn120
    Robyn120 Posts: 249
    Options
    bump to read later...
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    bump
  • outtanms
    outtanms Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    bump
  • strandedj
    strandedj Posts: 128
    Options
    Hi- I am new to machines and have been using Planet Fitness's 30 minute express program. I have been doing it Wed and Sat. I don't really enjoy it and don't seem to increase the amount of weight. I do feel sore the next days. Do I have to increase to 3 times a week? I do cardio nearly every day for at least 30 minutes with a day of rest per week. I do hope to lose weight but want it to be a lifestyle I can live with. Thanks for your input;)
  • mrs_dwr
    mrs_dwr Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • bray2160
    bray2160 Posts: 12
    Options
    Personally, I like P90X more than any other weight loss product because it's convenient. I can use it at my leisure and it's probably one of the only programs that I've actually seen work. I know people who are currently on the system and have lost tons of weight. Their bodies are more defined as well.

For those of you who may be interested in getting in shape, you can get P90X for $65 at http://www.squidoo.com/where-can-i-buy-p90x also read the comments in the guestbook section to see that this place is legit.
  • jendool
    jendool Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    bump for later:smile:
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Should I NET my BMR or eat up to it?

Elaborate. If you just ate up to your bmr everyday, you would still lose in the long run so long as your counting was spot on. Bmr assumes you're not doing ANYthing. So time you move out of bed, brush your teeth, and walk to the car, you're already ahead of it.

Well, I burn 600 calories a day. Should I stick to my BMR (1493) or eat back those 600 calories? I net at 900 if I don't eat back my calories from exercise- I don't eat them very often. THANK YOU!!:flowerforyou:

A 900 deficit from what I've experiened on myself and clients is WAAAY too low. Eat back some of your calories. I'd reco about 300 more so that you would be around a 600 calorie deficit.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    I am a 19 year old female, 106.5 lbs, and a distance runner. Not running right now, but cross train for more than an hour a day, usually burn over 400-600 calories through moderate to intense cardio a day plus alternating days of resitance training and yoga, and a lot of walking to get around town. Most if not all of my deficit comes from exercise as opposed to bmr, and I eat back some of the calories burned, but I'm not sure how many to leave as a deficit to lose the most weight from fat and not muscle.

Great question! So long as you don't go drastic on your deficit(like 750+), you are getting a lil more than your daily protein requirement, and you are still lifting consistently and intensely, you have a great chance of sparing most of your muscle until you get to extremely low body fat percentages. Me personally, I go 250-600 for a deficit. I start off slow, and start increasing the deficit as I start to plateau.
  • sabawden
    sabawden Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    thanks for answering all these questions! very informative!

my question is jhave you had any clients with thyroid problems, and if so, how was their routine different for losing weight? im asking b/c i've been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid and im finding weight loss more difficult now despite eating relatively low cals (1500) and burning about 500-600 cals/ day. unfortuately my doctor hasnt given much guidance for my weight loss goals!

thanks!!
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    :happy: Great thread. Thank you!
  • fitsharon
    fitsharon Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • megacy
    megacy Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to do a triathlon. In the past, running itself was never a problem, I enjoy running. And biking itself is never a problem, I enjoy biking even more so. However, putting the two together is where I have an issue. A few minutes into running after riding my bike, my legs are leaden and I struggle with keeping my stride as well as speed. I've done other activities right before running and this doesn't happen. Swimming, tennis...
    Any ideas what's going on? I talked to a runner friend, and he said maybe we're (happens to him too) not built for triathlons. What? How can someone not be built for a triathlon? I always meant to ask him what he meant by that. Never got around to it, then I moved.

Edit to say, I was on my bike every day, rode my bike instead of driving a car. And running was about 5-10 k 2 or 3 times a week.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    I am a 32 year old 5ft6 in woman. I'm around 154 pounds. I'm also a group exercise instructor so overtraining probably pertains to me. My question is, I've been trying to lose 5-10 lbs for over 2 years and even after teaching 10 classes a week nothing really budges. I bought a BodyMedia FIT and my TDEE is around 2900 on average. Some days 2800, some over 3000. I haven't gone any higher than 2200 as a max really for a long time in fear of regaining weight. As a woman would taking 500 calories off a 2900/3100 day (23-2500 calories) be too much for me to eat? Is this what is stopping me losing weight? Would 2500 be too much food or could not eating that amount be what's keeping me from dropping? Thanks!

That does sound like a bit much. Try 1,800 spot on for a week and then message me with your results. That will tell me everything I need to know. Either your metabolism has just stalled out, or you've just been way overestimating for too long. I'm thinking the latter. That can be changed easy enough. A stalled metabolism is no big deal either. Only take usually 2-4 days to reset it.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Ok probably a huge repeat Q. but you said anything so....Ok I am a girl...I have ALWAYS had BIG...like 15" around arms...no matter what size I have ever been.....I got them down to 14" right now by lifting weights every other day...3 to 5 pounds depending on what type of lifting I am doing...I also do 20 push ups every other day (that is sadly all I can do...and that is up from only being able to do like 5 in the beginning, don't laugh at me...lol.)...at least 30 minutes of cardio every day...except Sundays......I am starting to gain to much muscle i think...I just want them smaller d*mn it! Any suggestions?

Focus on weight/fatloss. I guarantee you will like your arms better if you lose 10 pounds of weight. Think what it would look like if each arm just loss two pounds each....See what I'm getting at? :)
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    How bad is diet pop for your body? I gave up drinking regular coke and began drinking diet..I drink 4-6 cans per day. Does it slow down my metablolism? Thk for your help.

Not bad at all on a body composition standpoint. Not the best thing for overall health though. Have too many of those things and they'll reek havok on your kidneys yeh!
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Alright, I'll bite. I'm looking to lose some body fat/build some lean muscle

Tell me if I'm in line with the numbers.

27 yr old female, 170 lbs, 5'3.5 tall, work out with weights 3 days a week (45 minute sessions) and like 2 days of cardio (at about 30 minutes a session)

My BMR is 1550, TDEE is 2400
    I'm eating 1900 calories a day on days that I don't strength train and adding about 200-300 extra calories on the days that I do strength train.
    Macros are 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat.

Anything you would change?

I've been testing this out for about a month, but I'm always up for suggestions :)

Sounds good, but are you losing?.....If you are then don't change a thing. When you stall a bit decrease the calories by about 100-200 less a day, or up the cardio just a bit. Overall a very well rounded plan.
  • janjancc
    janjancc Posts: 8
    Options
    Bump!
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Fat loss question: I'm 5'7" with 23-24% bf at about 147-149 lbs. I lift weights 4-6x's a week fairly heavy. I added muscle and now I'm ready to cut. Eventually get down to around 19% bf. Is there truth behind eating more to burn fat? I'm having a hard time figuring out how much I should be eating to effectively burn fat but not deprive myself.

There is definitely truth to eating more to burn fat, you just have to know when and how to use it. Bumping calories to spike a metabolism is wonderful. Refeed are good. An occasional cheatmeal is good. Constantly eating more than you're burning is bad. That is the science of weight gain. You can shuttle more excess calories to building muscle if its a slight caloric surplus, but you will add SOME amount of body fat regardless. And if you bump them up substantially, you're going to add a lot of bodyfat. Back to your question, definitely truth behind it....but you have to know what you're doing with it. If you're not losing, then you're obviously doing it wrong. Hope this helps
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest I didn't read through the now 13 pages of messages yet

But my question is what's this about eatting back your exercise calories. Everytime I do I gain weight. I even tried it even for a week and I gain. I know not everyone body's is the same I get that.

I just want to do this the right way and a way that I can maintain long term. This is lifestyle not diet.