Ask me anything about fat/weight loss....

Options

Replies

• ERIKARJ
    ERIKARJ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    HELLO!!
    I´ve lost so far 20 lbs.. i have left like 4 but thos dont go away..!!!
    mfp TELS ME TO EAT 1200 CALORIES PER DAY and i do, i didn give myself 1 one week of rest.. and i eat about 1800 cal each day; then started over last week on my 1200 cal.. kept the cardio for 30 min and strenght for another 15 or 20 min... and ab work.. i exercise about 1hour and 20 minutes, resting 2 days a week... and thos 4 lbs never seem to go away.. i drink at least 10 water glasses.. and.. i think i dont eat bad... what should i do?
  • kelbee23
    kelbee23 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    I'm 41, 5'5", and currently 136 lbs. I've always been very active (love working out ) but needed to lose the last 20 lbs. after having 2 kids -- I finally kicked it tracking my food on here.

I hit my goal of 132 lbs. right after New Year's, but I've been yo-yoing over the same 5 lbs. for the last 5 months.

I was eating about 1,500 calories / day + exercise calories, and then bumped it up to 1,800 (+ exercise cals) when I reached my goal because I was training for a 1/2 marathon, and I was working out 5-6 days a week, sometimes burning over 1,000 calories on longer runs. I also started incorporating 2 days of circuit training w/weights.

I recently cut back to the 1,500 + exercise cals after the bottom of my weight range kept slowly inching higher (now instead of 132, my low is usually 135 or 136). I've done a lot of the BMR / TDEE calorie calculators, and still feel like I'm struggling to find my "magic #" per day to stay at my goal weight.

Is this "magic #" just different for every person? How do you determine where your clients should be calorie wise?

I also don't wanna get too hung up on the #s...advice?

With my clients I usually start them off on a reco. For men usually 2,000, for women 1,200. From there I reevaluate at the end of every week to see how their body is responding. If they're losing too fast, I'll bump their calories up. Too slow, and I'll decrease them again or up their activity factor. I've talked earlier about how fickle the metabolism is, and how unique each of our bodies are. Usually toward the end with them I start having them incorporate weekly refeeds, and then when they are usually a month out from goal, I start increasing their calories each week to see how strong I can get their metabolism without adding back fat.

For you I would recommend the same. Take it slow and easy. Track what you're eating, and slowly start decreasing the amounts till you start losing.
  • Pearl0105
    Pearl0105 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This is a Fantastic thread... Loads of information... most of my questions are being answered. Thanks for taking the time to help us!!! And might I add what an eye candy you are!......:blushing:
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Whew! Alright, guys...I'm gonna take a break for a while. Great questions yeh. I'll be back later today and again tomorrow morning though. Enjoy your day and keep the questions coming if you have them. I'll do my best to answer. If I don't have the answer, I can most likely point you to somebody in the industry that does. Cheers yeh
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    REST WEEK?

Okay so I've been lifting and doing cardio at least 5-6 days a week since the beginning of the year. I'm going to Mexico at the end of this week.

Do I take it as a rest week and not do any weights/cardio or do I try and get something in while I'm there? I'll be swimming, walking, snorkeling, etc but should I get in an actual workout or take it as a rest week? I ask because its an all-inclusive so I will be drinking a lot of alcoholic drinks.

Your thoughts?

Completely up to you. At this point most of you probably get that I'm about moderation. Rest weeks are sometimes a GREAT thing for diet and exercise. Usually after I take a week off, I might have put on a pound, but my energy levels and motivation is through the roof the next week back. But if you on this all-inclusive and you're missing your workouts too much, then by all means, have some fun yeh!

Thanks for your feedback!
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have no question. Just wanted to say that GOOD GOD YOU ARE INCREDIBLE TO LOOK AT. :)

Co-sign
  • Ltmatthewhoyt
    Options
    So i have been using myfitnesspal for about a week. So far so good. I add all the food and exercise as I should. When I exercise it calculates additional calories for intake. I am trying to lose weight. I am currently 230 and am 6'1".
    Can you explain why I should increase my intake and if its beneficial to eat those added calories.
    Thanks!
  • lucasthoennes
    lucasthoennes Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Never posted before but I gotta say...

This is the greatest thread I have ever read on this site in the three months I have been on here.

Big mahalo to you sir!!!!!
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I'm 41, 5'5", and currently 136 lbs. I've always been very active (love working out ) but needed to lose the last 20 lbs. after having 2 kids -- I finally kicked it tracking my food on here.

I hit my goal of 132 lbs. right after New Year's, but I've been yo-yoing over the same 5 lbs. for the last 5 months.

I was eating about 1,500 calories / day + exercise calories, and then bumped it up to 1,800 (+ exercise cals) when I reached my goal because I was training for a 1/2 marathon, and I was working out 5-6 days a week, sometimes burning over 1,000 calories on longer runs. I also started incorporating 2 days of circuit training w/weights.

I recently cut back to the 1,500 + exercise cals after the bottom of my weight range kept slowly inching higher (now instead of 132, my low is usually 135 or 136). I've done a lot of the BMR / TDEE calorie calculators, and still feel like I'm struggling to find my "magic #" per day to stay at my goal weight.

Is this "magic #" just different for every person? How do you determine where your clients should be calorie wise?

I also don't wanna get too hung up on the #s...advice?

With my clients I usually start them off on a reco. For men usually 2,000, for women 1,200. From there I reevaluate at the end of every week to see how their body is responding. If they're losing too fast, I'll bump their calories up. Too slow, and I'll decrease them again or up their activity factor. I've talked earlier about how fickle the metabolism is, and how unique each of our bodies are. Usually toward the end with them I start having them incorporate weekly refeeds, and then when they are usually a month out from goal, I start increasing their calories each week to see how strong I can get their metabolism without adding back fat.

For you I would recommend the same. Take it slow and easy. Track what you're eating, and slowly start decreasing the amounts till you start losing.

THANK YOU!
  • justdoit_steph
    Options
    Awesome thread - Thanks!
  • iRebel
    iRebel Posts: 383
    Options
    Should I NET my BMR or eat up to it?

Elaborate. If you just ate up to your bmr everyday, you would still lose in the long run so long as your counting was spot on. Bmr assumes you're not doing ANYthing. So time you move out of bed, brush your teeth, and walk to the car, you're already ahead of it.

Well, I burn 600 calories a day. Should I stick to my BMR (1493) or eat back those 600 calories? I net at 900 if I don't eat back my calories from exercise- I don't eat them very often. THANK YOU!!:flowerforyou:
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Nice thread! I'll definitely be checkin' this out later
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    What this site needs is a bookmark facility! It's all here, but it's getting to be a Big Read.
    :flowerforyou:
  • xcrunnergirl13
    xcrunnergirl13 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am a 19 year old female, 106.5 lbs, and a distance runner. Not running right now, but cross train for more than an hour a day, usually burn over 400-600 calories through moderate to intense cardio a day plus alternating days of resitance training and yoga, and a lot of walking to get around town. Most if not all of my deficit comes from exercise as opposed to bmr, and I eat back some of the calories burned, but I'm not sure how many to leave as a deficit to lose the most weight from fat and not muscle.
  • ejechols
    ejechols Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    bump
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I am a 32 year old 5ft6 in woman. I'm around 154 pounds. I'm also a group exercise instructor so overtraining probably pertains to me. My question is, I've been trying to lose 5-10 lbs for over 2 years and even after teaching 10 classes a week nothing really budges. I bought a BodyMedia FIT and my TDEE is around 2900 on average. Some days 2800, some over 3000. I haven't gone any higher than 2200 as a max really for a long time in fear of regaining weight. As a woman would taking 500 calories off a 2900/3100 day (23-2500 calories) be too much for me to eat? Is this what is stopping me losing weight? Would 2500 be too much food or could not eating that amount be what's keeping me from dropping? Thanks!
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later