Ask me anything about fat/weight loss....

Options

Replies

• TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Is it possible to lose fat & gain muscle at the same time? Also is it OK to eat on a deficit during weight lifting days & on a surplus on off-days? I'm having problem with this one.

Yes, if you're new to the game. After that is becomes VERY hard. For me at this stage of the game, it's next to impossible.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Hi....do u have a copy of a good 1200 calorie meal plan to follow?

No. And even if I did, I wouldn't give it to you. I don't believe too much in meal plans. Case in point: The Atkins Diet. HIGHLY effective at helping people lose weight. Me, I have a sweet tooth though. If you gave me one of their meal plans, I would be ripping my hair out by the end of the week. I NEED CARBS!! See where I'm goin' here?....
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    I'm on keto but my weight hasn't moved (up or down) for the past 3 days - despite increased cardio (treadmill).
    Any idea what's happening and what I should be doing?

Need to know your stats first. Could be anything at this point.
  • SkippingQueen
    Options
    Hey!

I was wondering would you be able to guide me in the right direction :) ...I'm 5'8 and currently 123lbs (approx 9stone)....In the last month I have started eating very healthily and working out. I go jogging very early before work and after I come back, I have egg whites and whole wheat toast / porridge.....I would have a healthily enough lunch....a salad....and a small dinner....I have been doing my best to avoid carbohydrates such as white bread, chips, pasta, etc....After work I do a half hour of speed rope...My lower legs have toned a bit, but I am having trouble removing the weight from my thighs and my hips. Help a lady out :sad:
  • tweetybaby69
    tweetybaby69 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    I am a 32 year old 5ft6 in woman. I'm around 154 pounds. I'm also a group exercise instructor so overtraining probably pertains to me. My question is, I've been trying to lose 5-10 lbs for over 2 years and even after teaching 10 classes a week nothing really budges. I bought a BodyMedia FIT and my TDEE is around 2900 on average. Some days 2800, some over 3000. I haven't gone any higher than 2200 as a max really for a long time in fear of regaining weight. As a woman would taking 500 calories off a 2900/3100 day (23-2500 calories) be too much for me to eat? Is this what is stopping me losing weight? Would 2500 be too much food or could not eating that amount be what's keeping me from dropping? Thanks!

That does sound like a bit much. Try 1,800 spot on for a week and then message me with your results. That will tell me everything I need to know. Either your metabolism has just stalled out, or you've just been way overestimating for too long. I'm thinking the latter. That can be changed easy enough. A stalled metabolism is no big deal either. Only take usually 2-4 days to reset it.
    Just so I'm clear. If I burn 3000 a day and eat 1800...that would give me a daily deficit of 1200 calories. Is that deficit way too low? Thanks!!!

Yes that is way too low, but 3,000 calories burned a day is a bit much for me to believe honestly. You could always just do a simple reset to find out though. Give yourself two days of eating slightly over maintenance. Then slowly start reducing the calories on a weekly basis until you start losing, then you'll know where you stand. Back in the day I was drastically overestimating my activity based on what generic cardio equipment was telling me. Gave me a lot of grief and trouble until I finally said to myself, ok this can't be right. I haven't loss anything in two months.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Best way to burn inner thigh fat?

Not possible to spot reduce fat. A caloric deficit burns fat from all over your body though.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Not sure if this has been answered yet, but do you have to eat 100% clean of the time to get results/lose fat? I stay within my calorie goal of 1500 and work out, but if I want ice cream and it fits into my calories, will it really have an effect? I know it might sound stupid but I look at diaries of people with great bodies and it's kind of all over the place - some people eat fast food all the time and some people eat nothing but chicken and vegetables.

Don't think you have to eat "clean" just to lose weight. You can overeat and gain weight on clean food just like anything else. You can also LOSE weight eating junk so long as you're burning it.
  • maryduggins
    maryduggins Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Best way to burn inner thigh fat?

Not possible to spot reduce fat. A caloric deficit burns fat from all over your body though.

well poop. Just going to have to keep on keepin' on I guess ;P
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Bump! Great thread. Interesting questions and excellent answers!

My question is, i'm going away in six weeks and want to look toned and mildly ripped by then. I started PT sessions last week and was a little disheartened that I lost weight but no inches. I know it takes time but do you think I can realistically see results in six weeks time?

Definitely. Especially depending on how hard you wanna go at it and how much you wanna lose. In six weeks you could lose 10 pounds easily if you're dedicated. As for loss of weight but no inches....probably replaced some body fat with muscle mass. That's a GOOD thing yeh!
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    You are wonderful...thanks for the the answers!!!

I slowed down back in Oct with my weightloss. I was losing at least 1 pound a week for months. I'm 5'1 and stuck @ 133. My goal weight is 120. I have tried 1500-1600 calories ....went back down to 1300 ish a day. I workout (heavy lifting, running, crosstrain ) 5 times a week. (I have a back injury right now so I can't do anything ;(

My question....how do I know how many calories to eat? what would you recomend?
    The first 60 pounds seems to fall off...why has it gotten so hard now?? help!!!!
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Hi - thank you so much for all of this, I am blown away by the advice and will have to take a few hours out to read it all.

My question is, I am new to exercise, I have a weakness in my back from a car accident (over 15 years ago), what is the best exercise I can do to work my core/abs please as I am holding body fat there (not sure if you need to know, but I'm female).

Thank you! :happy:

First things first. Get a doctor's approval to start a core training program before ANYthing. The last thing you wanna do is injure yourself, and abs/core/lower back injuries go hand in hand. Play it safe.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    This might be a silly question, but I barely have time to go to the gym. I do about 20 minutes of walking every day, and I want to lose 20lbs. Will this lifestyle enable me to lose weight and get toned?

Also, I have a max calorie goal of 1360 and I stay within it, but sometimes I feel very hungry trying to stick to it. Any suggestions for healthy, filling meals?

Thanks!

Yes depending on how you define toned, and whether or not you're consistently and truly in a deficit.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I've got 10lbs to go and started using a hrm. I workout 6 days a week, cardio & strength training. So my ? is do I want to be at fat burning most of the time or fitness? Thanks :)
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for doing this, by the way!
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Think it's amazing that you decided to help out!
    I have a (quick) question - I'm 30 yo, 5'8", currently weigh 170lbs (30 lbs to my GW).
    Regular exercise (mostly cardio), starting to prepare my body for future triathlons.

Caloric consumption: approx 1,100/day (I do, however, eat the calories I burn)

I'm not losing weight fast at all, but still I'm not sure whether I'm eating too little.

Thank you!

If you've been consistently losing, then keep doing what you're doing. A little stall is fine. If more than two weeks go by and nothing has been loss, then reevaluate.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Good Morning, Is there a HRM that you would recommend or what features should we look for in one? Thanks

I assume you mean heart rate monitor. No, none that just pop into my head. I personally just use the talk test. If you can carry on a conversation fairly easy, then you're most likely at or under 140. If you can carry on a conversation, but you wouldn't want to, then you're probably around 160-170. If you can't yell 'Jane, get me off this thing!!', then you're at 180+.
  • BigCat175
    BigCat175 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SkippingQueen
    Options
    Hey!

I was wondering would you be able to guide me in the right direction :) ...I'm 5'8 and currently 123lbs (approx 9stone)....In the last month I have started eating very healthily and working out. I go jogging very early before work and after I come back, I have egg whites and whole wheat toast / porridge.....I would have a healthily enough lunch....a salad....and a small dinner....I have been doing my best to avoid carbohydrates such as white bread, chips, pasta, etc....After work I do a half hour of speed rope...My lower legs have toned a bit, but I am having trouble removing the weight from my thighs and my hips. Help a lady out :sad:
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Hey!

Stubborn fat. Keep on losing....as your overall body fat goes down they'll start looking better and better to you. Be patient, keep tracking, and stay consistent.