Ask me anything about fat/weight loss....

Options

Replies

• abookreader2
    abookreader2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    :)
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Just one more questions! Do you think weights training or any other activity might improves my chances of toning up my thighs....I know I can't spot reduce fat but any tips would be helpful :) I don't want my thighs touching! Ahhhhh :explode: :explode:

Keep losing body fat and eventually you'll get there. In the words of Mark Rippetoe: No such thing as firming and toning, only stronger and weaker. :D

Funny but realistically has some truth. If you do a ton of thigh work, but don't lose the fat on top of them, your legs WILL BE BIGGER! You can do all the thigh work in the world, but if you're not losing body fat, then they are not going to "tone up." Get me?....
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    MotorCityFemmeFatale Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    What are your qualifications?
    I'll be the first to say that qualifications don't always mean correct knowledge. Though I'm not totally sure of the OP's, I haven't disagreed with anything yet (well maybe with the exception of the word "TONED") he's posted and I'm a certified pro. Believe me when I say there are many certified instructors who aren't very knowledgeable and use so much "broscience" that circulates through the fitness industry. Doesn't sound like he adheres to any of it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Ah yes broscience. It keeps the industry rich yeh. That reminds me: I have to go take my thermogenic, get my 6-8 meals a day, my preworkout, my intraworkout, my postworkout, my creatine supplement, 300 grams of protein, and then do Muscle & Fitness' ab workout so that that I can lose weight and not go into starvation mode. Wait!....I haven't eaten in two hours, I'm already IN starvation mode!! :D

Wow, you are behind schedule ... you need to catch up! :tongue:
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    At this time in my life, I have hypothyrodism, had a full hysterectomy last year, turning 50 at the end of the month. I weight more now than I ever have, 162 lbs at 5'1". MFP set me at 1200 calories, like most women on here. I started working out about 2 months ago. My problem is I don't know what to eat. Weight watchers puts you at points so it doesn't matter what it is as long as you count it. If I go low carb, I find myself starving and can't stay with it. I can't eat broccoli and hummus every day, YUK. What is your advice on how to incorporate a good meal plan that is just part of the life style and not a 'diet'? I want to learn 'HOW' to eat.

So long as you're losing and you're healthy, eat what you want. A donut doesn't make you fat, constant overeating does. Obviously I'm not telling you to go on a whiskey and oreos diet so long as you're losing. Eat healthy for the most part, but don't be afraid to treat yourself occasionally either. Be smart, track your progress, reevaluate when necessary, but still enjoy life.
  • SkippingQueen
    Options
    I get you :) ...Okay! I'm gonna try it your way and just let time and exercise take care of my bootylicious thighs....doesn't make sense but anyway...thanks :)
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    awesome thread! I've read all of it (gasp!) and a lot of my questions are already answered. Here's one though:

I've been intermittently going to the gym for quite a while now, focusing more on endurance and core (sedentary job, had back pains, old knee injuries). Then, in January this year I finally decided to seriously try losing weight by giving the counting calories a go: and so far so good! As you say, it's all about the deficit. PS: I don't do cheat days. I try to stick to my net calories every day.

However - and here's question 1 - for the past 2 months my gym has been advising me to not do almost any out and out cardio as that pumps oestrogen levels which in turn increases fat storage in the hips area. Instead I've been doing a LOT of lunges, squats and TRX, some of it timed (=set of 20 lunge-jumps, 20 pull-ups, 20 push-ups as fast as possible. my record is 1 min 30 for the set) which does up my heart rate. It's just a bit counter-intuitive to cut out the obvious cardio. What's your take on this? Since I've kept my net deficit I'm still losing consistently so it's not a complaint, I'm just curious.

Question 2 is echoing the lady with arm problems: I've always hated my upper arms. objectively looking, my thighs are worse but I just don't care as much about the thighs. Now that I've lost weight, the arms are slimmer, but I wonder if it's helped by the (lots of variations of) lifting light/moderate weights above my head. So not really triceps but the whole shoulder area, and besides, it seem logical that if I do that the fat would flow down, lol. Is it just perception or does that really help with shaping the arms?

1. If your doctor has given you the go-ahead on cardio, then I don't see any harm in doing it. Who doesn't want a healthier heart yeh.

2. It all is part of the bigger equation. You could stick to straight weight training to get your deficit and eventually it would give you the arms you want. One of my role models in this industry said it best: You got basically four tenets, and they are all of equal importance. You have your nutrition, your lifting routine, your cardio routine, and your rest/recovery. You want them all working for you if possible.
  • speediejane
    speediejane Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    great info thanks
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    What are your qualifications?
    I'll be the first to say that qualifications don't always mean correct knowledge. Though I'm not totally sure of the OP's, I haven't disagreed with anything yet (well maybe with the exception of the word "TONED") he's posted and I'm a certified pro. Believe me when I say there are many certified instructors who aren't very knowledgeable and use so much "broscience" that circulates through the fitness industry. Doesn't sound like he adheres to any of it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Ah yes broscience. It keeps the industry rich yeh. That reminds me: I have to go take my thermogenic, get my 6-8 meals a day, my preworkout, my intraworkout, my postworkout, my creatine supplement, 300 grams of protein, and then do Muscle & Fitness' ab workout so that that I can lose weight and not go into starvation mode. Wait!....I haven't eaten in two hours, I'm already IN starvation mode!! :D

Wow, you are behind schedule ... you need to catch up! :tongue:

LMAO! It's already too late for me....I'll probably be dead by lunchtime. ;D
  • juliagulia624
    Options
    bump
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Great info! Thank you very much!!!
  • Reeny1_8
    Reeny1_8 Posts: 277
    Options
    Bump-Kudos to OP, fantastic thread!
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    bump for later - I read up to page 9 and really should do some work now! Thanks for all the great info :-)
  • Deetermined
    Options
    I am new to this what is caloric deficit
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    bump for later - I read up to page 9 and really should do some work now! Thanks for all the great info :-)

Happy to help yeh.

On a side note: I just want to say to everyone, it ALL works if you're consistent. Atkins, Zone, Southbeath, 5-3-1, P90X, Insanity, Starting Strength, 5X5, Powerbodybuilding, The Classic Method, H.I.T. Just get something track what you're trying to get to on the regular, and reevaluate when necessary. 95% of it is just being consistent, and showing up. Supplements, nutrient timing, eating breakfast, low-carbs, they all help....but they are only 5% of the big picture. People had great bodies in the 80s. Be smart, embrace the path ahead, embrace the hard work, enjoy the journey, track & reevalute, stay safe above all, and enjoy your life.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5 feet 9 inches male, weight 265 lbs, I box for about 3-5 hours a week plus I walk about 10 miles a week and I use stationary bike often also (1 hour or so per week). I am currently consuming 2200-2400 calories and NOT eating back my exercise calories (MFP started me at 1700 calories). I increased my average calories and not eating back the workout calories to be consistent with my food intake.

Question is: is 2200-2400 calories too much for a guy like me? My BMR is at 1800 I believe last time I checked but I'm kinda scared eating all these calories since alot of time I have to force feed myself these calories unless I eat outside.
  • jackiecroberts
    jackiecroberts Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say this is the best thread I have ever read!! Thank you SO much for taking the time to answer all of our questions. You my dear are AMAZING!!
  • ebonijo2
    ebonijo2 Posts: 73
    Options
    I know you are asking him questions is about wrist, my suggestion, is to one stop doing dips. Speaking from experience having recently fractured my wrist, and previously having had elbow surgery on the same arm (as well i work in physical therapy) doing dips right now for you is not going to help with the pain. Your wrist can not handle the pressure right now. (Honestly if the pain is severe to the point you can’t do it there is an underlying problem you need to have checked out) But if not I suggest you do other exercises that work your triceps that does not put pressure on your wrist.
  • megacy
    megacy Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to do a triathlon. In the past, running itself was never a problem, I enjoy running. And biking itself is never a problem, I enjoy biking even more so. However, putting the two together is where I have an issue. A few minutes into running after riding my bike, my legs are leaden and I struggle with keeping my stride as well as speed. I've done other activities right before running and this doesn't happen. Swimming, tennis...
    Any ideas what's going on? I talked to a runner friend, and he said maybe we're (happens to him too) not built for triathlons. What? How can someone not be built for a triathlon? I always meant to ask him what he meant by that. Never got around to it, then I moved.

Edit to say, I was on my bike every day, rode my bike instead of driving a car. And running was about 5-10 k 2 or 3 times a week.

YOu just need more time. Doing your first tri is HUGE. Getting use to heavy legs the first few miles after biking is tough. Add brick training to your routine more often. You just gotta slow build up your tolerance that's all.

Thanks! I tend to just go do things without asking questions and blunder my way through. Good to know I just need to build up. Full steam ahead!

Lol. Same here. Word to the wise: Gold bond or vaseline on the inside of your legs for your tri-training. Going from swimming to biking and running....your legs will be rubbing back and forth for hours. My skin was rubbed raw by the end of my first!....and shower the next day?....Horrible. Just the steam alone would make me angry. :D

Ahh, yes, this will be an issue. Or rather, would have been...thanks for the tip!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I am a 32 year old 5ft6 in woman. I'm around 154 pounds. I'm also a group exercise instructor so overtraining probably pertains to me. My question is, I've been trying to lose 5-10 lbs for over 2 years and even after teaching 10 classes a week nothing really budges. I bought a BodyMedia FIT and my TDEE is around 2900 on average. Some days 2800, some over 3000. I haven't gone any higher than 2200 as a max really for a long time in fear of regaining weight. As a woman would taking 500 calories off a 2900/3100 day (23-2500 calories) be too much for me to eat? Is this what is stopping me losing weight? Would 2500 be too much food or could not eating that amount be what's keeping me from dropping? Thanks!

That does sound like a bit much. Try 1,800 spot on for a week and then message me with your results. That will tell me everything I need to know. Either your metabolism has just stalled out, or you've just been way overestimating for too long. I'm thinking the latter. That can be changed easy enough. A stalled metabolism is no big deal either. Only take usually 2-4 days to reset it.
    Just so I'm clear. If I burn 3000 a day and eat 1800...that would give me a daily deficit of 1200 calories. Is that deficit way too low? Thanks!!!

Yes that is way too low, but 3,000 calories burned a day is a bit much for me to believe honestly. You could always just do a simple reset to find out though. Give yourself two days of eating slightly over maintenance. Then slowly start reducing the calories on a weekly basis until you start losing, then you'll know where you stand. Back in the day I was drastically overestimating my activity based on what generic cardio equipment was telling me. Gave me a lot of grief and trouble until I finally said to myself, ok this can't be right. I haven't loss anything in two months.
    Thank you so much for your responses. I had metabolic testing done to find a BMR of 1607. My TDEE is that high because I teach 2-3 classes most days. For example tomorrow I teach 60 minute spin, walk the dog 1/2 hour, teach Bodypump and then CXWORX Which is an intense 30 min core class. My TDEE will be around 3000 since that's 3 hours of working out plus running a household. LOL! If you still think that's too high, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for all your help! edited to add that I found my TDEE using a Body Media.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    "...timing is like 5% of the bigger picture which is ARE YOU GETTING YOUR NUTRITION. ..."

Thanks, exactly what I wanted. We read so much (of differing information) that it makes us afraid we're doing something out of ignorance that actually hinders our progress.

In your opinion, what is the optimal macro ratios/percentages for fat loss first? (And then muscle building second?) I'm trying to do both, of course, but being realistic that the being overweight part needs to be addressed first and foremost.
    Thanks again!