Ask me anything about fat/weight loss....

Options

Replies

• TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    "...timing is like 5% of the bigger picture which is ARE YOU GETTING YOUR NUTRITION. ..."

Thanks, exactly what I wanted. We read so much (of differing information) that it makes us afraid we're doing something out of ignorance that actually hinders our progress.

In your opinion, what is the optimal macro ratios/percentages for fat loss first? (And then muscle building second?) I'm trying to do both, of course, but being realistic that the being overweight part needs to be addressed first and foremost.
    Thanks again!

Not really a such thing as optimal. We're all unique. Take two people: Same gender, same weight, same height....metabolic speed between the two could vary substantially depending on body comp(bodyfat percentage). Also depending on HOW a person lives their life would change things too. Once again, all things equal, say one person does 20 minutes of walking each day, while the other trains with weights twice a day and does sprint intervals each day. If I was to give a generic reco though, 40/30/30 is decent. Proteins to carbs to fats. Doesn't matter though if you're not burning what you're taking in. And some people who are not AS concerned about muscle, they could afford a 30/40/30 ratio if they wanted and still lose so long as they're not eating too much.
  • carbail
    carbail Posts: 13
    Options
    Bump
  • blessedwifeandmom
    Options
    Wow, thanks so much for doing this. You may have already answered my questions. I haven't read through all of your post yet. I will ask any way and feel free to copy and paste your response from another.

I am 39 years old, 5'6" I weighed 152 when I started and I way 135lbs right now, so I have lost 17 pounds since Feb 1. I would love to weigh 125lbs so I have 10lbs to go. I try to eat 1200 calories a day but sometimes I don't eat that much and I do cardio 5-6 days a week. My average burn a day per my fitbit is about 2000-2200. So I am in a deficit of almost 1000 calories at least 5 days a week. Sometimes on the weekend I have a splurge/spike meal or two but sometimes I stay in my range even with the spike meal.

My weight loss has definitely slowed down some. I weigh and measure everything that goes in my mouth and according to my calculations I should have reached 130 already with my deficit. So should I start watching my macros more? If so what would be a good split.

What are your thoughts on the the splurge meal.
    Should I start lifting heavy to loose the last 10 or stick to cardio and lift heavy once I'm leaner.
    Should I up my calories or keep them the same?

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm going to the beach in a month and I want to look the best ever for my hubby :)

Thank you so much for taking time out of your day for us all. You are inspiring.
  • linmill11
    linmill11 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Wow, thanks so much for doing this. You may have already answered my questions. I haven't read through all of your post yet. I will ask any way and feel free to copy and paste your response from another.

I am 39 years old, 5'6" I weighed 152 when I started and I way 135lbs right now, so I have lost 17 pounds since Feb 1. I would love to weigh 125lbs so I have 10lbs to go. I try to eat 1200 calories a day but sometimes I don't eat that much and I do cardio 5-6 days a week. My average burn a day per my fitbit is about 2000-2200. So I am in a deficit of almost 1000 calories at least 5 days a week. Sometimes on the weekend I have a splurge/spike meal or two but sometimes I stay in my range even with the spike meal.

My weight loss has definitely slowed down some. I weigh and measure everything that goes in my mouth and according to my calculations I should have reached 130 already with my deficit. So should I start watching my macros more? If so what would be a good split.

What are your thoughts on the the splurge meal.
    Should I start lifting heavy to loose the last 10 or stick to cardio and lift heavy once I'm leaner.
    Should I up my calories or keep them the same?

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm going to the beach in a month and I want to look the best ever for my hubby :)

Thank you so much for taking time out of your day for us all. You are inspiring.

Could be a lot of things that have slowed you, but so long as you're still losing, don't change anything just yet. At your height and weight, you're starting to approach an area where it's definitely going to be slower and this is where consistency is going to pay off the most. I'm fine with you doing a splurge meal, but don't go crazy of course. I've seen people undo an entire week's worth of hard work in one day! If you're netting a good deficit at the end of every week, better yet if you're losing still, that's what matters. At that point, you could once again increase the cardio a little throughout the week, or decrease the calories a little more. In my opinion, a 1,000 calorie deficit IS a bit much on the daily. Might wanna actually increase your calories in daily by 200 for the next week and then reevaluating. If you do this though, DON'T increase the exercise or you won't get the definite answer you're looking for. Hope this helps yeh.
  • ambalitav
    ambalitav Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi! I would love to be in Atlanta and hire you as my trainer :)

I'm 31, current weight 224. I've been on MFP for about a month now. Been keeping a strict diet & log-in, don't exceed over 1200 calorie count a day, healthy meals, snacks, low salt intake, all water, no soda, I don't drink coffee, cardio at least 5 times a week....and NO results!! Well, I shouldn't say no results...but very little results - like 1lb a week. Really?? Come on!! Despite the fact that I'm overweight, I don't feel overweight. I am a pretty active and outgoing person; play sports, walk, ride my bike, etc. Not to mention the time spent in the gym. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Does my body need to be detox? If so, what's the best way/product??

Your feedback is apprecaited. Thank you!!!
    Ambar
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Hi! I would love to be in Atlanta and hire you as my trainer :)

I'm 31, current weight 224. I've been on MFP for about a month now. Been keeping a strict diet & log-in, don't exceed over 1200 calorie count a day, healthy meals, snacks, low salt intake, all water, no soda, I don't drink coffee, cardio at least 5 times a week....and NO results!! Well, I shouldn't say no results...but very little results - like 1lb a week. Really?? Come on!! Despite the fact that I'm overweight, I don't feel overweight. I am a pretty active and outgoing person; play sports, walk, ride my bike, etc. Not to mention the time spent in the gym. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Does my body need to be detox? If so, what's the best way/product??

Your feedback is apprecaited. Thank you!!!
    Ambar

Hmmm....a pound a week huh? But what if you did loss that every week for the next year?.....Sounds like success if you ask me. First thing is I would look into hidden calories. Dissect your diet as much as possible. What are your stress levels like? This can effect things too. Are your protein requirements getting met on the regular? These are things to look into, but before anything PLEASE don't get caught up into the impatience of it. Nothing wrong with ambition, but a pound a week is definitely not too shabby yeh! :)
  • moe5474
    moe5474 Posts: 162
    Options
    This thread is A-mazing! Question for you...

Why is that I can create the same 500 calorie deficit through either only diet or only exercise, and I only lose when that deficit is created through diet alone? If I create the 500 calorie deficit through exercise (weights and HIIT) the scale won't budge and neither will the measurements. Everything will get firmer, but I won't lose inches.

But if I skip the gym and just cut 500 calories through diet alone I lose about one pound per week.

I know working out is good for you, but this awful cycle makes me want to skip the gym :( Am I doing something wrong? I don't always log my calories specifically through MFP, but always log them on my computer. I also weigh and measure everything I eat for fear that I'll underestimate my portion sizes.

My stats are below for reference.

26 y.o. female
    5'9
    large frame
    23% body fat
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    This thread is A-mazing! Question for you...

Why is that I can create the same 500 calorie deficit through either only diet or only exercise, and I only lose when that deficit is created through diet alone? If I create the 500 calorie deficit through exercise (weights and HIIT) the scale won't budge and neither will the measurements. Everything will get firmer, but I won't lose inches.

But if I skip the gym and just cut 500 calories through diet alone I lose about one pound per week.

I know working out is good for you, but this awful cycle makes me want to skip the gym :( Am I doing something wrong? I don't always log my calories specifically through MFP, but always log them on my computer. I also weigh and measure everything I eat for fear that I'll underestimate my portion sizes.

My stats are below for reference.

26 y.o. female
    5'9
    large frame
    23% body fat

Lol. It's gonna come from activity and diet regardless! Walking to your car burns calories, and I assume you eat food everyday which is consuming calories. I have clients who don't touch cardio at all. Hell, I don't really accept for dance and the occasional treadmill bout if I go heavy on the martinis. They are all just tools. You can create a deficit by cutting back on your calories, by increasing your activity, or by a combination of both. Weightlifting, running on the hamster wheel, dancing, yoga, mountain biking, kickboxing....they're all just tools/options you have to getting where you want to be.
  • aplusgeek
    aplusgeek Posts: 49
    Options
    Working out for 6 weeks 30 - 60 min 4 -5 days a week. Limiting processed carbs. Not seeing any weight loss. I am a 41 year old female. I am 5'1 and weigh 160. Have been trying to loose weight and am so discouraged. I try to keep my caloric intake around 1400 a day.

Any ideas?

Hmmm....might be hidden calories, water weight, dieting for too long without a break, stress, etc. I'd really examine the diet more at first though. Coffee is a culprit to many people. Salads also. Creamers and dressings can get ya in trouble VERY fast. Also might wanna reduce the calories another hundred a day for the next week and see what happens.

Hey man, quick question. You say coffee is a culrprit, but you mean with the additions people put in, right? I drink 2 cups a day but no sugar or sweetener and just a tad of skim milk. I think this way coffee actually helps with your metabolism.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Working out for 6 weeks 30 - 60 min 4 -5 days a week. Limiting processed carbs. Not seeing any weight loss. I am a 41 year old female. I am 5'1 and weigh 160. Have been trying to loose weight and am so discouraged. I try to keep my caloric intake around 1400 a day.

Any ideas?

Hmmm....might be hidden calories, water weight, dieting for too long without a break, stress, etc. I'd really examine the diet more at first though. Coffee is a culprit to many people. Salads also. Creamers and dressings can get ya in trouble VERY fast. Also might wanna reduce the calories another hundred a day for the next week and see what happens.

Hey man, quick question. You say coffee is a culrprit, but you mean with the additions people put in, right? I drink 2 cups a day but no sugar or sweetener and just a tad of skim milk. I think this way coffee actually helps with your metabolism.

Of course. Black coffee by itself is pretty good for you so long as you're not goin' overboard. Lol. I don't do black coffee though. I basically ask for a cup of creamer with a shot of expresso in it. :D
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    I'm a 5 feet 9 inches male, weight 265 lbs, I box for about 3-5 hours a week plus I walk about 10 miles a week and I use stationary bike often also (1 hour or so per week). I am currently consuming 2200-2400 calories and NOT eating back my exercise calories (MFP started me at 1700 calories). I increased my average calories and not eating back the workout calories to be consistent with my food intake.

Question is: is 2200-2400 calories too much for a guy like me? My BMR is at 1800 I believe last time I checked but I'm kinda scared eating all these calories since alot of time I have to force feed myself these calories unless I eat outside.

I'm also 5'9 and for losing with your activity levels 2200-2400 looks pretty good. I wouldn't go lower than 2000-2200 though unless you hit a stall.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5 feet 9 inches male, weight 265 lbs, I box for about 3-5 hours a week plus I walk about 10 miles a week and I use stationary bike often also (1 hour or so per week). I am currently consuming 2200-2400 calories and NOT eating back my exercise calories (MFP started me at 1700 calories). I increased my average calories and not eating back the workout calories to be consistent with my food intake.

Question is: is 2200-2400 calories too much for a guy like me? My BMR is at 1800 I believe last time I checked but I'm kinda scared eating all these calories since alot of time I have to force feed myself these calories unless I eat outside.

I'm also 5'9 and for losing with your activity levels 2200-2400 looks pretty good. I wouldn't go lower than 2000-2200 though unless you hit a stall.

Awesome! Thanks for the input man and thankyou for doing this, you've helped alto of us folks :)
  • shaylo80
    shaylo80 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Is the expectation that we eat our exercise calories? If I have a 1200 calorie diet, and I exercise and burn 500 calories (hypothetically) am I supposed to eat 1700 calories that day? Or just the 1200 and the extra 500 burned is just an extra bonus?
  • tripod271
    tripod271 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am an obese female. Through walking and eating healthy for the past 3 months, I have taken off 42 pounds. Would working out in a gym right now be premature (i.e., should I take off more weight first)? I have 150 pounds to lose. What do you think?
  • keaani34
    keaani34 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to help us here!
  • sjwhite7
    sjwhite7 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Is the expectation that we eat our exercise calories? If I have a 1200 calorie diet, and I exercise and burn 500 calories (hypothetically) am I supposed to eat 1700 calories that day? Or just the 1200 and the extra 500 burned is just an extra bonus?

Keep it simple because it is going to change as you progress and get leaner. Track your daily calories in vs out. Start at a baseline of calories, and slowly decrease them until you start losing. The MFP app is a GREAT tracker, but it isn't foolproof of course. We're all unique and adjustments will need to be made along the journey. Once calories have been decreased to the point that you start losing, keep the exercise and caloric intake the same until you start to slow. At that point increase the activity a little and or decrease the calories a little.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    I am an obese female. Through walking and eating healthy for the past 3 months, I have taken off 42 pounds. Would working out in a gym right now be premature (i.e., should I take off more weight first)? I have 150 pounds to lose. What do you think?

I assume you're meaning strength training at the gym. Would DEFINITELY help out in the long run. More muscle means more calories burned because it needs more calories to maintain itself. Go for it! :)
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to help us here!

You're quite welcome yeh. Cheers