Ask me anything about fat/weight loss....

Options

Replies

• tris2002
    tris2002 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i have what looks to be lordosis (never diagnosed), my back has been like this since i was very young: my lower back curves in very far and causes my stomach to push out. The other day i even got asked if i was pregnant! I was pretty discouraged because ive been working on loosing weight and am down about 17lbs total since march! I know i still have quite a bit to loose (shooting for a minimum of 13 more) but i was looking online and they recommend things like straight leg dead lifts---I have never done a dead lift in my life and don't even know where to begin. Any suggestions on exercises i can do in my home to strengthen my glutes and hamstrings and stretch the hip flexors and quads-they say thats what i'm supposed to be doing but being new at all this its kind of like speaking a different language.
  • ermickel
    ermickel Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My turn to ask a question! I am a month in 4 pounds down and 10" off overall. I am working out 5 days a week doing the 30DS and adding free weights here and there. I have logged EVERY bite and stayed at or under 1200 everyday. I am surprised how slow the weight loss is. I don't eat low fat or processed foods and I try to keep my carbs reasonably low. On days when I have BIG excercise burns I may eat up to about 1500 cals. Am I not eating enough or should I be watching fat intake more???

Any thoughts would be helpful :smile:

Need yer stats first, hon. Congrats on the weight loss so far though! Depending on where you start, YES!....weightloss can be very slow! If you're starting a hundred plus pounds overweight, it is going to be a lot easier than for a person that is trying to lose that last 5 pounds. Makes sense though. The further you go in basically anything, the harder it is to get to the next rung of the ladder.

Sorry I am 44, 5'8 and want to lose another 15 lbs. I think my age unfortunately is starting to make the weght loss side harder!

Yes, age is a factor, but 44 is still VERY young. Look up Elaine Goodlad, Tosca Reno, Gina Ostarly....all easily and well into their forties with bodies that most twenty-somethings would kill for.
    True 44 is VERY young I agree ;) I am taking a months worth of tracking to my nutritionist this morning. I bet she contradicts everything written on here...I'll let you know!
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Here's my issue - I'm male, 5'10" 169lbs. I've been eating anywhere between 2000 - 2200 calories a day. I haven't lost anything in over three weeks (no weight, no inches around my gut). I'm really not looking to lose weight per se, but decrease the fat around my belly and inbetween my armpits and pecs. I only do weight training, and it's 3 - 4 days a week. Is the 2000 - 2200 range my maintenance level? Is that why I've basically stalled? I can see some compositional changes in my body, but not much. Should I reduce my calories a bit and see if that helps, and then slowly bring them back up again when I get to the point that I want (so I can put on more muscle)?

This question gives me a chance to elaborate a little on metabolism and calculators. The calculators are generic. They don't take into consideration things like genetics, body fat percentage, and lean body mass. So if somebody asks me if X is their maintenance level, my next question is is are you losing or gaining, and then are you exercising. I have a different maintenance for different things. If I don't do anything my maintenance is about 2,750 personally. If I add in lifting, it increases to 3,250-3,500....if I add dance in it, god forbid kickboxing and yoga, my numbers start going through the roof for maintenance. But this is just me. If you're not losing, then you're consuming too much for your given activity level. How long have you stalled?....if it's been three weeks and nothing, then yes, I would go to 2,000 flat for the next week and see what happens then. I would also as usual look into how precise you're being with the calorie counting in. Always be looking for hidden calories yeh.

It's been exactly 7 days since I've taken your advice and I've lost 1 lb, a half inch from my gut, and a half inch from my waist.

Great job yeh! Keep up the awesome work! :)
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    I'm a 246lb female, hit a 6 month plateau after using mfp macros, changed to 40c\30f\30p. I lost good amounts for 3 weeks, then got a 2.4lb gain, and 0.7lb gain last 2 weeks. I'm exercising most days burning an average of 700 cals. I eat 1500 cals, my dietitian says to not eat exercise cals back as I'm still so heavy. (I was on best rest for a few months, being ill then sugery until 6 weeks ago) the only exercise I'm doing is hiit walking. Could I be gaining muscle or is this gain fat? Could 30% protein be too high for some?

Zara :-)

If you're spot on with the 1500 a day, then yeh, you're most likely experiencing some muscle gains. Too early for you to sweat something though. Be patient yeh.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    I've got a question...This is my 2nd week on mfp. I did very well last week with an 8 lb loss. This week, nothing so far. I've checked very detail of my menu and activity and there has been no change significant enough that I should be stalled already. I've been under my calories by no more than 20 cal. and not over by than 10 cal. Unfortunately, I am a daily weigher just because I love to see those numbers go down even if it's by a lb. Now for my question...Have any of you experienced a stall after an initial pretty big loss? Should I change anything?

First of all....EIGHT pounds lost in a week, probably a LOT of that was water weight unless you were starving yourself and working out like a maniac. As far as losing every week, don't expect that or you're gonna be let down a LOT. Stalling out in a week?.....highly doubt it. Need more stats but I'm betting something is extremely off here and not being done correctly.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    i have what looks to be lordosis (never diagnosed), my back has been like this since i was very young: my lower back curves in very far and causes my stomach to push out. The other day i even got asked if i was pregnant! I was pretty discouraged because ive been working on loosing weight and am down about 17lbs total since march! I know i still have quite a bit to loose (shooting for a minimum of 13 more) but i was looking online and they recommend things like straight leg dead lifts---I have never done a dead lift in my life and don't even know where to begin. Any suggestions on exercises i can do in my home to strengthen my glutes and hamstrings and stretch the hip flexors and quads-they say thats what i'm supposed to be doing but being new at all this its kind of like speaking a different language.

Assuming cleared by a doc for activity, I definitely recommend ballroom dance. Proper frame and alignment are EVERYthing in it. After a year of it, you'll start noticing just how badly most people look with their natural postures vs a dancers extension in the spine.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    You mentioned that you do a bulk then cut cycle. I like this method as well, and have done it in the past with good results. I am not an expert though, and I have some basic questions.

When bulking how many extra pounds do you put on before deciding to cut? How long does it take you? After gaining said weight, how much of that is usually fat and how long do you spend cutting to get rid of it?

What would you say are some good bulking goals for an amature(me) who has some experience successfully bulking and cutting?

5'8"
    160lb
    12-15% bf

Thanks.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    You mentioned that you do a bulk then cut cycle. I like this method as well, and have done it in the past with good results. I am not an expert though, and I have some basic questions. When bulking how many extra pounds do you put on before deciding to cut? How long does it take you? After gaining said weight, how much of that is usually fat and how long do you spend cutting to get rid of it?

What would you say are some good bulking goals for an amature(me) who has some experience successfully bulking and cutting?

5'8"
    160lb
    12-15% bf

I usually do about 2-3 months on, 2-3 months off. I'll bulk up 10-15 pounds tops, and then it once again usually only takes me about 2 months to cut because I don't let myself go over 10% on the body fat. The slower I go with the bulk, the less fat I usually put on. Back in the day I use to dirty bulk, but didn't like that I was putting on so much fat. Now I just clean bulk slightly overmaintenance so I usually start off at around 3,000 and work my way as high as 4,000 towards the end. Not everyone subscribes to this though because it IS ultimately up to the individual. I like the fact that it keeps me fresh. My rewards during the cut are seeing the physique get dialed in more and more. And my rewards for the bulk is I can take some time off of watching the diet as much, enjoy the extra calories and strength/energy increases, and I can still look good just not AS good as when I'm cutting. Good questions though. For you, I would say the same if you want to bulk and stay lean. Slowly start increasing the calories just enough to put on about a half a pound a week(making SURE you meet your protein requirements first of course), and then readjust them up as your metabolism starts catching up. Shoot for 170 and then try to cut to 158 and see what you think of your body then.

Thanks.
  • ejechols
    ejechols Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Bumpity, bump, bump
  • DB_1106
    DB_1106 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can explain this to me because no one else on here can.

Why is it ok for gastric bypass patients to eat 300-400 calories per day for weeks following surgery, and then consume about 1000 on a regular day months after surgery but everyone else says to eat the magical 1200 calories minimum per day? These people drop tons of weight fast and quick with no stalling.

Doesn't this throw the whole BMR/TDEE scenario out the window? Does having a smaller stomach make the science behind eating above 1200 calories a day different?

The math doesn't add up.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I usually do about 2-3 months on, 2-3 months off. I'll bulk up 10-15 pounds tops, and then it once again usually only takes me about 2 months to cut because I don't let myself go over 10% on the body fat. The slower I go with the bulk, the less fat I usually put on. Back in the day I use to dirty bulk, but didn't like that I was putting on so much fat. Now I just clean bulk slightly overmaintenance so I usually start off at around 3,000 and work my way as high as 4,000 towards the end. Not everyone subscribes to this though because it IS ultimately up to the individual. I like the fact that it keeps me fresh. My rewards during the cut are seeing the physique get dialed in more and more. And my rewards for the bulk is I can take some time off of watching the diet as much, enjoy the extra calories and strength/energy increases, and I can still look good just not AS good as when I'm cutting. Good questions though. For you, I would say the same if you want to bulk and stay lean. Slowly start increasing the calories just enough to put on about a half a pound a week(making SURE you meet your protein requirements first of course), and then readjust them up as your metabolism starts catching up. Shoot for 170 and then try to cut to 158 and see what you think of your body then.

Thanks.

Okay, thanks for replying. My first bulk was dirty, and I had a helluva time cutting, but I was able to do it. I want to cut a few more pounds before I start to bulk again(clean this time). Gotta take care of some stubborn fat areas first, so I'm going to try my hardest these next few weeks to get under 10%.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    OP, my turn for questions? :) Thanks in advance.

I was eating 1200 calories for a few monthes last year and lost first 10 pounds. Then I added long distance walking like 5 miles a day to the routine eating about the same maybe a couple of hundreds more then my loss stalled. Throughout the year, my weight silently creeped back up, like a pound per month although I am still eating the same way (yes I do log them). My daily intake average about 1400 calories, high in protein, low in carb and sugar, only chicken, fish and turkey meats.

A couple of monthes ago, I got so frustrated so I decided to add WT to my routine. I use 2* 5 pound dumb bells, and my routine is 25 minutes each time with 12 rep of each move. Then I "gained" back all the 10 pounds I lost by dieting alone. My waist only looks smaller in the mirror but it actually measures more so was my butt. All my pants that used to fit loose now very tight. Then I researched and understood that I might have to increase cardio. So a month ago I added a hour of running to each day, 4-5 miles speed. I also bumped up my intake to maintenance level 1600 calories per MFP, without actually tracking the exercise which I find very inaccurate in their database. My diet is still majorly protein and complex carb such as brown rice and whole wheat bread. I don't even cook with any type of oil...

And this moring, my weight broke the record high in my whole life...What did I do wrong? This is really really discouraging...Please help.

You hit it on the head. You started eating more than you were expending through activity. I've said this a million times in here. As you diet down you are going to have to readjust calories down as you lose weight! A 150 pound person does NOT need as many calories to maintain them as a 170 pound person(all things equal).

Thanks. But I don't think I got you were trying to tell me here. I said I was losing when eating 1200 calories, and that's the maximum I can cut down to. Then I stopped losing. So I added cardio and eating 1600 calories which is my maintenance level. I don't eat back calories sinc 1600 minus exercise should give me a deficit. So you are saying that I should go down further than 1200 calories? and still exercise?
  • albayin
    Options
    While waiting I read through some of the replies...it sounds like OP has suggested to most people to lower the calorie intake while keeping the exercise...My problem is when eating 1200, I didn't have the energy/strengh to exercise; when eating 1400 calories I was not losing, and now eating 1600, I am gaining...Guess I just need to go back to 1200 without exercise at all?

Of course your energy levels are going down! YOu're on a sub-calorie diet! My energy and strength go down too when I am cutting, it's only natural. They'll go right back up though when you stop your cut and go back to a maintenance.

Confused again. Cutting down gives me no energy and not losing either. Backing it up to maintenance is not making me losing either. Per your next reply to my post, you were saying I am eating too much? Thanks. but sorry about the confusion.
  • Lisabel
    Lisabel Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Is there ANYTHING I can do to firm/tone my inside thigh area?
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Maybe you can explain this to me because no one else on here can.

Why is it ok for gastric bypass patients to eat 300-400 calories per day for weeks following surgery, and then consume about 1000 on a regular day months after surgery but everyone else says to eat the magical 1200 calories minimum per day? These people drop tons of weight fast and quick with no stalling.

Doesn't this throw the whole BMR/TDEE scenario out the window? Does having a smaller stomach make the science behind eating above 1200 calories a day different?

The math doesn't add up.

You can lose on 300-400 a day, you can lose on 1200 a day, you can lose on 3000 a day so long as you're truly burning more than you're expending. I don't can't think of ANYbody I would personally reco something that low though as 300-400, but I've also never worked with someone straight outta gastric either. I HAVE worked with someone who had ballooned back up after gastric and I didn't cut his calories anywhere close to a 300-400 a day allowance. That's my two cents on it.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    OP, my turn for questions? :) Thanks in advance.

I was eating 1200 calories for a few monthes last year and lost first 10 pounds. Then I added long distance walking like 5 miles a day to the routine eating about the same maybe a couple of hundreds more then my loss stalled. Throughout the year, my weight silently creeped back up, like a pound per month although I am still eating the same way (yes I do log them). My daily intake average about 1400 calories, high in protein, low in carb and sugar, only chicken, fish and turkey meats.

A couple of monthes ago, I got so frustrated so I decided to add WT to my routine. I use 2* 5 pound dumb bells, and my routine is 25 minutes each time with 12 rep of each move. Then I "gained" back all the 10 pounds I lost by dieting alone. My waist only looks smaller in the mirror but it actually measures more so was my butt. All my pants that used to fit loose now very tight. Then I researched and understood that I might have to increase cardio. So a month ago I added a hour of running to each day, 4-5 miles speed. I also bumped up my intake to maintenance level 1600 calories per MFP, without actually tracking the exercise which I find very inaccurate in their database. My diet is still majorly protein and complex carb such as brown rice and whole wheat bread. I don't even cook with any type of oil...

And this moring, my weight broke the record high in my whole life...What did I do wrong? This is really really discouraging...Please help.

You hit it on the head. You started eating more than you were expending through activity. I've said this a million times in here. As you diet down you are going to have to readjust calories down as you lose weight! A 150 pound person does NOT need as many calories to maintain them as a 170 pound person(all things equal).

Thanks. But I don't think I got you were trying to tell me here. I said I was losing when eating 1200 calories, and that's the maximum I can cut down to. Then I stopped losing. So I added cardio and eating 1600 calories which is my maintenance level. I don't eat back calories sinc 1600 minus exercise should give me a deficit. So you are saying that I should go down further than 1200 calories? and still exercise?

I'm saying if you're losing then don't change a thing, but if you aren't then for some reason you are not expending more than you're consuming on a regular basis. That can be because of many things; inaccurate counting, lowered metabolism, hormonal levels, etc.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Is there ANYTHING I can do to firm/tone my inside thigh area?

Burn the fat off it. No such thing as "toning". All you're really doing is reducing the body fat and replacing it with a little bit of muscle. Fat jiggles, muscle is tight. Lose a pound of fat off each inner thigh and those legs little be a lot tighter and um "toned."
  • albayin
    Options

I'm saying if you're losing then don't change a thing, but if you aren't then for some reason you are not expending more than you're consuming on a regular basis. That can be because of many things; inaccurate counting, lowered metabolism, hormonal levels, etc.

The reason I changed at the first was after first 10 pounds lost by eating 1200, I stalled for over several monthes without loing a gram even I was still counting every the same way. Then I was suggested to add cardio to "boost" metabolism...But it appreantly didn't work. Guess I just need to find it out in my own hard way. :) Thank you for replying anyway.
  • Panthers89
    Panthers89 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    6'0" male, 44 Years Old, 207 pounds, large frame

I have lost 55-60 pounds overall, 48 since jointing MFP. I have been stuck between 205-207 (as low as 201 after working out) for 8-9 weeks. I have increased my activity, and recently increased calories to lose 0.5 lbs/wk rather than 1.0 lbs/wk - (Daily goal is 2270 cals, up from 2035 cals / daily when trying to lose 1 lb/wk). I have had to take 4 maintenance days over the past month without working out because my knees are starting to bark back at me.

I feel great, my endurance has increased while running, and overall cardio exercising 6-7 days week, ranging from 5-7 miles, running / jogging between 1-3 miles daily.

My wife says that I look like I am getting "skinnier" and "more muscular". I have done this weight loss entirely of cardio exercises - running, treadmill, walking, elliptical.

Which way do I go for these last 5 pounds? Back down to 2020 cals or stay where I am at and increase my exercise?

Thanks in advance for your suggestion.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options

The reason I changed at the first was after first 10 pounds lost by eating 1200, I stalled for over several monthes without loing a gram even I was still counting every the same way. Then I was suggested to add cardio to "boost" metabolism...But it appreantly didn't work. Guess I just need to find it out in my own hard way. :) Thank you for replying anyway.

Still missing what I'm saying. If you're not losing, then you are not consistently burning what you are consuming. That 1200 that worked to get then 10 pounds off will need to be reajusted as your metabolism lowers as you diet down. It doesn't take AS MANY calories to maintain you at the new body weight. When I start a client on a cut. I usually start them fairly high in calories....these calories are adjusted down at different points along the way because of this. Person starts off 50 pounds overweight, just the smallest reduction in calories will get them to moving. 25 pounds out they are requiring a LOT less than when they were 50 pounds overweight. Ten pounds out they require a lot less than when they were 25 pounds overweight. Adding back activity and or decreasing your calories are just tools we have to produce the deficit. Let's go on an extreme example though: Many will think that because a small deficit will make them lose a little weight, a huge deficit will help them lose a lot. This is true in the beginning, but the body is resilient. It WILL find a way of coping with the stress of that drastic caloric drop. This is where many new to dieting stall out soon because they THINK they should still be in a deficit, but realistically they aren't anymore because their metabolism has dropped so much that what once was a deficit is now maintenance. Understand?....Hope this clears up everything for ya. :)