Ask me anything about fat/weight loss....

Options

Replies

• jwuchef87
    jwuchef87 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    alright, I do have a question. I'm trying to lose 1 1/2 lb a week...currently doing 3 days of cardio, 30 min and averaging about 300-350 cal per workout (according to the machine not MFP). I just started 30day shred this week as well. MFP had my calorie intake as 1390 but I stopped losing and changed my activity level and it went up to 1560. What exactly should my calorie intake be to ensure I'm losing without starving myself or at least, if the 1560 is current, should i be eating back the calories I burned? i'm reading too many posts on here about eat more to weigh less and all this stuff and i went from motivated to super confused and hesitant. Any help would be appreciated!
  • tomhancock
    tomhancock Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I want to thank you, this is probably the single best fitness thread I've read online. Also you aren't advocating any of the loony stuff you sometimes see on MFP. I'm so tired of reading that if you plateau, you should increase your daily calories, when that defies science and common sense. So thank you.

OK, - I am 5'9" 30 year old male, weighing 189. I would like to weigh around 155-160, when I was in college you could see my abs at that weight. I am doing 20-30 minutes of cardio 5 times a week and doing weight training, nothing crazy, mostly weight machines at my gym, 10-30 minutes a day, average of 5 times a week. I'm eating a little under 1500 calories a day total, not eating back exercise calories. I'm losing weight doing this, fairly happy with the results so far, I've only been counting closely for a couple of weeks.

My question regards re-feeding. After reading some articles about metabolic rate and leptin levels I'm curious about this. Should I do it considering my goals, how much should I eat when I do it (generally), and are there any certain foods to avoid or eat when re-feeding?

Basically I'm asking for an explanation of re-feed. Thanks in advance, you are really helping a lot of people out here!!!
  • WorkitoutBev
    WorkitoutBev Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to this site (started Monday) and I need help in get rid of my the fat around my waist. Any suggestion as to what should I be doing in the gym, I started that as well. Thanks!
  • tomhancock
    Options
    One other thing, what do you think of the weight loss shakes, like GNC's Total Lean, or similar products?

I've been using it as one of my five small meals throughout the day and it keeps me full for a long time considering its only 180 calories. It does have 30 grams of carbs, next time I buy a shake powder I'm going to pay more attention to that!
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    alright, I do have a question. I'm trying to lose 1 1/2 lb a week...currently doing 3 days of cardio, 30 min and averaging about 300-350 cal per workout (according to the machine not MFP). I just started 30day shred this week as well. MFP had my calorie intake as 1390 but I stopped losing and changed my activity level and it went up to 1560. What exactly should my calorie intake be to ensure I'm losing without starving myself or at least, if the 1560 is current, should i be eating back the calories I burned? i'm reading too many posts on here about eat more to weigh less and all this stuff and i went from motivated to super confused and hesitant. Any help would be appreciated!

Ok, once again, there IS logic to eat more to way less, but it has to be applied. Diet down to lose weight metabolism eventually drops while pounds are loss. Eat more than you're used to, metabolism goes up and weight is added back. BUT if we're eating more and still netting a deficit on the weekly and monthly, we WILL lose in the long run. If I was in a 400 cal deficit 5 days a week, and then in a 200 cal surplus for two days a week, I'm still in a deficit for the week! Now depending on where you are on your cut, eating more may not be the best or most efficient idea. I personally only use it with my clients as needed. If you're steadily losing at a good pace, then why increase cardio, why decrease calories, why have a day over maintenance?....Keep it simple. Just slowly eat less until you start losing at the desired rate. When you stall out, either increase your activity and or decrease your calories a bit more till you resume fat loss.

As for the starvation thing. This is the biggest laugh me and my friends have. Starvation mode?....Seriously? I assume when I did that three day detox last month I must have been in starvation mode because I had nothing but water the first two days. Oh no! I'm dying! Metabolism is going to go down eventually regardless when you diet. As I said in the last post, it takes more calories to maintain a 180 pound person(all things equal) than a 150 pound person. You obviously want to try to keep your metabolism as high as possible throughout your cut, but this comes more so than anything by just not doing drastic things to your system like doubling your activity in a week, or cutting your calories down to a third of what you normally consume in one day.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    6'0" male, 44 Years Old, 207 pounds, large frame

I have lost 55-60 pounds overall, 48 since jointing MFP. I have been stuck between 205-207 (as low as 201 after working out) for 8-9 weeks. I have increased my activity, and recently increased calories to lose 0.5 lbs/wk rather than 1.0 lbs/wk - (Daily goal is 2270 cals, up from 2035 cals / daily when trying to lose 1 lb/wk). I have had to take 4 maintenance days over the past month without working out because my knees are starting to bark back at me.

I feel great, my endurance has increased while running, and overall cardio exercising 6-7 days week, ranging from 5-7 miles, running / jogging between 1-3 miles daily.

My wife says that I look like I am getting "skinnier" and "more muscular". I have done this weight loss entirely of cardio exercises - running, treadmill, walking, elliptical.

Which way do I go for these last 5 pounds? Back down to 2020 cals or stay where I am at and increase my exercise?

Thanks in advance for your suggestion.

I'd drop back down to the 2020 you mentioned while keeping exercise constant. Also look into hidden calories and to how well you're recovering between workouts. You're in the homestretch. Keep on rockin' yeh.
  • justdoit_steph
    Options
    Why do people do the bulking and cutting? I don't understand what this does for the body? Is it just the benefit of getting a break from the dieting? Also, is this something women usually do or just guys? I don't think this is anything that I would be interested in because I have a hard enough time dieting as it is but I just find it interesting that a lot of people take this approach? I just don't understand it and am a little curious :) I mean obviously it works by looking at your profile picture :)

OK - Does lifting more weights make you hungrier than lifting smaller amounts. I know it might sound silly BUT I'm having a VERY hard time staying under my calorie goals and that is at 1500. Of course, I'm not losing because I'm constantly eating. I have started the Mark Rippitoe workout (3 sets of 5 reps lifting heavy weights - squats, bench, rows, deadlifts, military press, dips and pullups) and my jeans are getting way too tight on my thighs and butt. The scale is staying the same but I want smaller thighs but muscular. What kind of lifting program would you recommend? I want the lean but athletic look. Should I just stick with the cardio (which I absolutely hate) until I get to my goal weight and then add in weights? THANKS!
  • tomhancock
    Options
    bumping back to the top, because this should never die.
  • philfinallyfit
    philfinallyfit Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

I'm a mid-50's male, around 5'8" and started on 1580 calories one week ago, and am also running 2 miles per day. I started at 237.0, and weighed 234.4 at the first weekly weigh-in. I am not eating back my calories. My question is this: did I start too low? I mean could I have achieved the same result on 1800 or 2000 calories? I used to eat a ton more, which is why am overweight.

My concern is that, following your advice, I could easily need to diet down a few times along the way, and I wonder if I cut myself off an opportunity to have lower threshholds available in which to diet down, vs. having already begun at a fairly low amount. That said, I have already begun, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to this site (started Monday) and I need help in get rid of my the fat around my waist. Any suggestion as to what should I be doing in the gym, I started that as well. Thanks!

Yep. Diet, exercise, and consistently burning more than you're ingesting.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    One other thing, what do you think of the weight loss shakes, like GNC's Total Lean, or similar products?

I've been using it as one of my five small meals throughout the day and it keeps me full for a long time considering its only 180 calories. It does have 30 grams of carbs, next time I buy a shake powder I'm going to pay more attention to that!

Refeeds. Not so necessary until you're well within the 'lean' area. The body fights you more and more as you lose more and more. When I get under 6%, I throw in the refeed to basically reassure my body I'm not trying to starve it to death. You obviously don't want to go to high on a refeed though, or you just put back on body fat. I usually refeed about 500 over maintenance which still keeps me in a deficit for the week. One day never killed anything.

As for weightloss shakes?....Didn't they use to call them Slimfast in the 80s. Lol. You don't just drink something and magically wake up leaner. It's still calories in vs calories out. And me personally, that would do nothing for my appetite. I'd drink the shake and then be starving two hour later. The best is that skakeology crap out there. Yeh, let's all pay 40bucks for a shake so we can lose weight! These guys are making a killing off of all these idiots looking for magic. Nothing has changed under the blue moon. It's all about being more active, trying to eat clean for the most part, and not stuffing yourself.

Lastly I WILL say that the impatience is what kills most people. But you know what, SCREW'EM! This is the payback your body gives you for neglecting it for years and many times decades. One of my role models compares it to debt. You miss one payment and that interest goes up. You miss another and it goes up still. So you're just racking up interest and it's getting harder and harder to pay it off. The same with your body. It's not gonna come easy. You're gonna have to fight, and you're going to have to wage war a LONG time to get any serious results. If you're not 100% sure you're gonna see it through till the end, then I wouldn't even step up.

Sorry for the aside there, hon. That was NOT at ALL directed at anyone specifically, but it definitely needed to be said. People need to step up and embrace the hard long journey ahead. But I can guarantee you, making it out on the other side pays you back a hundred fold. Ask any of the survivors. Hope this clears up some things
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Why do people do the bulking and cutting? I don't understand what this does for the body? Is it just the benefit of getting a break from the dieting? Also, is this something women usually do or just guys? I don't think this is anything that I would be interested in because I have a hard enough time dieting as it is but I just find it interesting that a lot of people take this approach? I just don't understand it and am a little curious :) I mean obviously it works by looking at your profile picture :)

OK - Does lifting more weights make you hungrier than lifting smaller amounts. I know it might sound silly BUT I'm having a VERY hard time staying under my calorie goals and that is at 1500. Of course, I'm not losing because I'm constantly eating. I have started the Mark Rippitoe workout (3 sets of 5 reps lifting heavy weights - squats, bench, rows, deadlifts, military press, dips and pullups) and my jeans are getting way too tight on my thighs and butt. The scale is staying the same but I want smaller thighs but muscular. What kind of lifting program would you recommend? I want the lean but athletic look. Should I just stick with the cardio (which I absolutely hate) until I get to my goal weight and then add in weights? THANKS!

For different reasons. I get bored maintaining so I will cut for a while and enjoy being a ripped *kitten*. Then I'll bulk for a while and enjoy getting stronger while having more freedom when I diet. Plus I like adding the extra muscle on a bulk too. That's just me though. And yes, I do know females that bulk and cut, but just not as serious because most don't want to add TOO much back to their frames.

As far as hunger and lifting heavy or for reps. I can say I get a heftier appetite from reps, but that's just me. Whenever I cut though, I'm just focused on the end goal. It's easy for me to control my eating and stop. And I reward myself when I deserve it. If you want the lean athletic look, it's really just training like an athlete and reducing your body fat to nil. This can be done training like a track athlete, like a volleyball player, by lifting weights, etc.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    To the OP:

I'm a mid-50's male, around 5'8" and started on 1580 calories one week ago, and am also running 2 miles per day. I started at 237.0, and weighed 234.4 at the first weekly weigh-in. I am not eating back my calories. My question is this: did I start too low? I mean could I have achieved the same result on 1800 or 2000 calories? I used to eat a ton more, which is why am overweight.

My concern is that, following your advice, I could easily need to diet down a few times along the way, and I wonder if I cut myself off an opportunity to have lower threshholds available in which to diet down, vs. having already begun at a fairly low amount. That said, I have already begun, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

You did start off pretty low in my opinion, but as you said, if it ain't broke don't fix it. So long as you're healthy and loosing, keep rockin' with it yeh.
  • justdoit_steph
    Options

For different reasons. I get bored maintaining so I will cut for a while and enjoy being a ripped *kitten*. Then I'll bulk for a while and enjoy getting stronger while having more freedom when I diet. Plus I like adding the extra muscle on a bulk too. That's just me though. And yes, I do know females that bulk and cut, but just not as serious because most don't want to add TOO much back to their frames.

As far as hunger and lifting heavy or for reps. I can say I get a heftier appetite from reps, but that's just me. Whenever I cut though, I'm just focused on the end goal. It's easy for me to control my eating and stop. And I reward myself when I deserve it. If you want the lean athletic look, it's really just training like an athlete and reducing your body fat to nil. This can be done training like a track athlete, like a volleyball player, by lifting weights, etc.
    So, I guess you are just saying that to get the lean athletic look I can continue lifting heavy and mixing cardio in on my off days of lifting? I just need to learn how to have more control over my eating. I guess I know that is my main issue but dang it - I love food ;) Also, I have recently increased my protein to around 100 - 115 grams does this sound about right if I have 25% body fat and weigh 155? I guess another problem I have is when I try to add in all the protein and make sure I have enough iron (I'm anemic) and fiber my calories start going way above my 1500 calories allowed for the day.
    Thanks!
  • ermickel
    ermickel Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My turn to ask a question! I am a month in 4 pounds down and 10" off overall. I am working out 5 days a week doing the 30DS and adding free weights here and there. I have logged EVERY bite and stayed at or under 1200 everyday. I am surprised how slow the weight loss is. I don't eat low fat or processed foods and I try to keep my carbs reasonably low. On days when I have BIG excercise burns I may eat up to about 1500 cals. Am I not eating enough or should I be watching fat intake more???

Any thoughts would be helpful :smile:

Need yer stats first, hon. Congrats on the weight loss so far though! Depending on where you start, YES!....weightloss can be very slow! If you're starting a hundred plus pounds overweight, it is going to be a lot easier than for a person that is trying to lose that last 5 pounds. Makes sense though. The further you go in basically anything, the harder it is to get to the next rung of the ladder.

Sorry I am 44, 5'8 and want to lose another 15 lbs. I think my age unfortunately is starting to make the weght loss side harder!

Yes, age is a factor, but 44 is still VERY young. Look up Elaine Goodlad, Tosca Reno, Gina Ostarly....all easily and well into their forties with bodies that most twenty-somethings would kill for.
    True 44 is VERY young I agree ;) I am taking a months worth of tracking to my nutritionist this morning. I bet she contradicts everything written on here...I'll let you know!

Just as I suspected she does contradict everything on here....so confusing I swear! I gave her a printed log of everything I've eaten and burned for 30 days! She wants me to ignore calories and lower my carbs to 30g or lower a day. She also says I should have about 90g or more of protein a day which I do and as long as the fat is "real" the amount doesn't matter. I started seeing her because I was having migraines which she has totally gotten under control with diet. I think when you eat high protein low carbs your calories just naturally stay down but she says she doesn't even want me to pay attention to it!?!

Thoughts?!?
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    My turn to ask a question! I am a month in 4 pounds down and 10" off overall. I am working out 5 days a week doing the 30DS and adding free weights here and there. I have logged EVERY bite and stayed at or under 1200 everyday. I am surprised how slow the weight loss is. I don't eat low fat or processed foods and I try to keep my carbs reasonably low. On days when I have BIG excercise burns I may eat up to about 1500 cals. Am I not eating enough or should I be watching fat intake more???

Any thoughts would be helpful :smile:

Need yer stats first, hon. Congrats on the weight loss so far though! Depending on where you start, YES!....weightloss can be very slow! If you're starting a hundred plus pounds overweight, it is going to be a lot easier than for a person that is trying to lose that last 5 pounds. Makes sense though. The further you go in basically anything, the harder it is to get to the next rung of the ladder.

Sorry I am 44, 5'8 and want to lose another 15 lbs. I think my age unfortunately is starting to make the weght loss side harder!

Yes, age is a factor, but 44 is still VERY young. Look up Elaine Goodlad, Tosca Reno, Gina Ostarly....all easily and well into their forties with bodies that most twenty-somethings would kill for.
    True 44 is VERY young I agree ;) I am taking a months worth of tracking to my nutritionist this morning. I bet she contradicts everything written on here...I'll let you know!

Just as I suspected she does contradict everything on here....so confusing I swear! I gave her a printed log of everything I've eaten and burned for 30 days! She wants me to ignore calories and lower my carbs to 30g or lower a day. She also says I should have about 90g or more of protein a day which I do and as long as the fat is "real" the amount doesn't matter. I started seeing her because I was having migraines which she has totally gotten under control with diet. I think when you eat high protein low carbs your calories just naturally stay down but she says she doesn't even want me to pay attention to it!?!

Thoughts?!?

Lots of truth behind low carb. For the most part protein DOES fill you up a lot longer, and as a result, you eat less. For many, they can't eat enough on a high protein diet to meet maintenance. Having said that, you can get fat on a high protein diet just like anything else. Going deeper into it, I believe a diet should be something a person can stick to indefinitely. I LOVE carbs. If somebody tried to put me on a low carb diet I wouldn't last a week! I can definitely see where your dietician is going with her plan for you, but me personally I don't believe in low carb diets in the long run. They're gimmicky. Take a look at any olympic athlete....look at their physiques and then examine their diets....I don't think I've found one yet that doesn't take in a substantial amount of carbs on the regular. Think about parents and their kids.....How many parents are putting their kids on low carb high protein diets?.....Exactly! It goes against common health sense. That's my two cents back ;)
  • justdoit_steph
    Options

You can't make muscle out of thin air, you need food. You have to eat in surplus (bulk phase), the cutting phase is the opposite, you eat at deficit doing your best to maintain muscle mass. You can't do both at the same time, unless you're a heavier set person.
    Thanks for responding to my question on bulking and cutting :)
  • neti_call
    neti_call Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Sir, thanks for answering my other 2 questions. My next one is this:
    What's the fat/carb/protein ratio I should be using in order to drop (fat) weight? I'm 5'4", 155, BF% 32.
  • TheOfficialEpic
    Options
    Sir, thanks for answering my other 2 questions. My next one is this:
    What's the fat/carb/protein ratio I should be using in order to drop (fat) weight? I'm 5'4", 155, BF% 32.

Lol. No optimal ratio, hon. I eat the same when I cut as I do when I'm maintaining. Only difference is I just eat less. Try to eat clean for the most part, get your daily protein intake, and simply reduce the calories via fats and carbs. Nothing complicated
  • rpfitness6
    rpfitness6 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi I am just starting out on MFP. I am 45, 5' 0", and need to lose 20-25 lbs. How come it says I can only lose .6 pounds a week on a 1200 calorie diet? It's going to take one month to lose just 3 pounds. That's not fair! Is this correct?