Belly Button Rings--Trashy or Cute?

Options

Replies

• CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I don't find a purpose in them, but then again I know many people wouldn't find purpose in the tattoo on my arm.

As for the trashy/cute debate, it depends on the person. If the person is trashy, the piercing will follow. If the person isn't, then the piercing won't be trashy. It's the same thing with any piercing or body mod--you designate how it looks. If your ears are pierced everywhere but you keep yourself looking well (aka clean and not like you rolled out from a weed patch) then it won't be so off-putting but if your hair's a million colors, fried to hell and back, and you wear torn up clothes and pounds of eyeliner trying to look edgy or whatnot, it'll knock you down a few pegs on the respect totem.

If you want one, get it. If you don't like it later you can always take it out even if the hole remains. That's the joy of piercings, you're not stuck with them in the same sense as a tattoo unless you've stretched your ears; you can take out the ring/post/whatever and yeah you have the hole but it's not noticeable but if you get a tattoo and regret it, you're stuck with it and it's gonna be visible.

^ Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • Flemstica
    Flemstica Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I thought mine was cute but now that I don't wear it anymore I hate the scar. Just something to consider.
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    they're cute!

but warning: they aren't the easiest piercing to care for :frown:

This is so true. I had a lot of problems with mine when I first got it. I cleaned it every day and still it was a major problem.

Agreed, they aren't the easiest to care for and if you do get it, then make sure you eat before. I passed out after they did mine. However I love it and think it's cute. I don't wear all kinds of dangly bling, if I wear something dangeley in it, it's very simply and pretty. Not those crowns and cherry's and all of that junk. Maybe cute to someone younger then me who isn't a mom, but I'm personally ok with simple and cute,
  • ashmarie484
    ashmarie484 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I think the right one is cute, I wanted one for a "treat" when I reached my goal weight, but, I have heard too many rumors of people getting them snagged. There are those who have no problems, like my sister, but, I have also had a friend who caught hers on a table and ripped it sideways and we ride horses and many have caught the ring on the horn, even after putting a band aid over it. I am still worried about getting one but not a complete no.

It depends on the ring. The skin where mine is pierced is thin. I need a super tiny (short) barbell because the one I have now is almost 2 cm longer than my piercing and it DOES get caught at times. I found a shorter one that i am going to try out and possible even an actual slave-navel hoop.

Also, on occasion, my pants come up to my belly button when I sit, but no-one's pant should typically be over their belly button to get caught...

Was the skin thin before or after you got the piercing? A lot of the times if it got thinner afterwards that means your body is rejecting it and it will actually come through your skin. I got mine a couple years ago, it barely hurt and didnt take me a long time to heal. Everyone is different, my sister had to have hers repierced twice. Good Luck :)
  • caroleslaststand
    caroleslaststand Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to get one and I'll be 60 or older by the time I'm done losing weight. I don't intend to show it to the world - it's for me and someone else to enjoy. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. If you want it - do it. A piercing is much cheaper than a tatoo and, in a sense it's reversible (like taking off your earrings). Just make sure you get it done by a professional piercer who uses a tool that actually removes the plug of skin from the hole and doesn't just tear a hole in your skin.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I think they are a bit out of style now. I dunno....used to like them but don't anymore. Or maybe I have just outgrown them...

That being said, if you want one get one! You only live once. Don't let other people's personal opinions hold you back!
  • Wen37
    Wen37 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for years, and I think it’s cute. However, if you are going to get one before a vacation I suggest you NOT do that! I have about 5 piercings and this one took by far the longest to heal & it’s not a comfortable process. You will be more consumed with making sure your taking care of it/ it’s not hurting than enjoying your vacation.
    [/quote]

Yep. I agree with this. Mine took forever to heal and I was miserable. It's worth it now but if I was you I would wait until you get back from vacation.
  • kellyyjean
    kellyyjean Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Cute. Love mine. Had it for many many years. Hubby like it too, didn't at first.
  • BobinNC66
    BobinNC66 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    OK I give up, anyone care to help me with posting pics on the message board, I have tried every html code I know of and googled tutorials but this doesn't look like its working.
  • AmberLee2012
    AmberLee2012 Posts: 540
    Options
    I had mine done when I was in my early twenties and it was fun for awhile. It took a really long time to heal though and by that I mean almost a year. I took mine out last year before I turned 30. I was kind of bored with it and I didn't change out the rings like I used to when I was younger and showed it off more.
  • sissyjeng
    sissyjeng Posts: 5
    Options
    I had my belly button pierced about 10 years ago, I absolutely loved mine but it took at least 8 months to heal. I took my out when I got pregnant with my baby girl and have not put it back in. I want to get my re-pierced, but knowing how long it took to heal I won't be doing it before my trip to the Bahamas! Good luck!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I think they're cute! it is my prize for when I hit my goal weight :smile:

I think it all depends on your age and style though.

Some people just can't pull it off.
  • taylmarie
    taylmarie Posts: 161
    Options
    I think they are a bit out of style now. I dunno....used to like them but don't anymore. Or maybe I have just outgrown them...

That being said, if you want one get one! You only live once. Don't let other people's personal opinions hold you back!

^^^ this. I used to wear one, I took it out when I got pregnant and now I just feel like it's not in style anymore? Though I am no expert on style lol. And I don't think it's trashy but I think it can kind of look trashy if you wear a crazy dangle sparkly one depending on your age. I would say keep it simple, like a little crystal or hoop and you're good to go.
  • wofford16
    wofford16 Posts: 63
    Options
    I had one and I loved it, of course when the last baby came I had to take it out and I haven't put it back in. When I get down to my ideal weight I am getting another one and I will be 40 this year so I will sport my belly ring along with my two toe rings :wink:
  • Hollirot
    Hollirot Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I think they're really cute. That being said, I had my done at my thinnest and then got pregnant, so I took it out & now I have a huge scar/hole above my belly button. Which just makes my stomach look worse with all the stretch marks I now have from the pregnancy. If I could go back in time, I wouldn't have gotten it done.
  • paulyarwooduk
    paulyarwooduk Posts: 109
    Options
    I don't look at a belly button piercing and think "wow that looks sexy" but then I don't think the opposite either. I had mine done years ago and I regret it now because I now I have scarring that I can never get rid of.

As for healing; well, mine didn't hurt at all when it was done and it didn't hurt at any time afterwards. I just cleaned mine regularly and it healed really quickly.

If it's something you really want then don't let anyone stop you but think about it seriously first.
  • bestbassist
    bestbassist Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Neither trashy nor cute, just trendy and silly.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I have one and I love it.

I also agree with the people who have said to NOT get it done before vacation. The last thing you want is to have it become infected and ruin your time.
  • coloradocami
    coloradocami Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I love mine...never think of it as trashy because I have control of if and when other see it. It's covered most of the time and when it's not...my hubby loves it!
  • Jennicia
    Jennicia Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    TOTALLY CUTE! I wish I could wear one! I think they look the hottest on flatter tummies!