Stupid things people say when they hear you're dieting

Options

Replies

• MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    I actually got asked if I was losing weight to attract someone. I've been happily married for 29 years and was changing my diet due to a cholesterol concern and lost 30 pounds. Apparently according to this individual if you lose weight in midlife you are looking for someone else.....Not!!!!

When my husband sees me window shopping skinny clothes on Amazon he makes me promise not to leave him :(

I tell my husband if we both lose weight then his Ex-wife will be jealous!! LOL...then we both promise to each other that even when we are H-O-T-T that we will still lvoe each other!! LMBO!!!!!
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    You cant eat CAKE, you are on a diet!!!!!!
    then I lose 1.5 a week while they lose *kitten* all eating just salad hahahaha
  • FrostyFour
    FrostyFour Posts: 262
    Options
    I actually got asked if I was losing weight to attract someone. I've been happily married for 29 years and was changing my diet due to a cholesterol concern and lost 30 pounds. Apparently according to this individual if you lose weight in midlife you are looking for someone else.....Not!!!!

When my husband sees me window shopping skinny clothes on Amazon he makes me promise not to leave him :(

I tell my husband if we both lose weight then his Ex-wife will be jealous!! LOL...then we both promise to each other that even when we are H-O-T-T that we will still lvoe each other!! LMBO!!!!!

Hahaha, I think of this all the time ;) His ex wife is big, wanted his kids but he refused to have them with her, now we have 2 kids... hee hee hee
  • neti_call
    neti_call Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I didn't see
    "Have a piece of cake/pizza/whatever. It's fat free! *wink wink*"
    "This ice cream/pasta/cookie has ZERO calories! Just for you!"

I hate them when they think this is funny.

I love when someone says "See, it's healthy!" And I take the box from them "Let's see... 1000mg sodium per serving... serving size 1 tablespoon? WTF?"

Exactly! Or they say "Only 100 calories a serving!" but don't bother to notice there are 3.5 servings per box that they are finishing off alone.
    OR - mil eats "Fruit Snacks" because she says they are healthy because they say FRUIT! I shiz you not!!
  • C_June
    C_June Posts: 48
    Options
    "How did you do it?" I counted calories and exercised. "Ohhh" in the most disappointed tone ever.

^^^ This exactly. They ask how you are doing it and then roll their eyes and zone out when it's not just a magic pill or something.

This? Made me LOL. Exactly. What we should say is "Yes, it was a magic pill! I can get you one, too, for $$$$$, COD!" :tongue:

every response anyone gives, ever. same people who think taking diet pills means you can eat whatever you want and it will still make you lose weight.
  • C_June
    Options
    That's exactly what my husband does ))) he'll be like , why r u so angry all the time, calm down , eat something !!! Very helpful:grumble:

if your blood sugar is low it WILL make you very cranky, so hes not necessarily wrong.
  • glosettes
    glosettes Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I hear this all the time. To add this this they scoff at you
  • juliee274
    juliee274 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I didn't see
    "Have a piece of cake/pizza/whatever. It's fat free! *wink wink*"
    "This ice cream/pasta/cookie has ZERO calories! Just for you!"

I hate them when they think this is funny.

I love when someone says "See, it's healthy!" And I take the box from them "Let's see... 1000mg sodium per serving... serving size 1 tablespoon? WTF?"

Exactly! Or they say "Only 100 calories a serving!" but don't bother to notice there are 3.5 servings per box that they are finishing off alone.
    OR - mil eats "Fruit Snacks" because she says they are healthy because they say FRUIT! I shiz you not!!

Or those people who say "Oh, I know....I eat salads all the time but I can't lost weight!" Maybe because your salad is swimming in creamy dressing, cheese and bacon!
  • C_June
    Options
    heh. My mom and dad on Skype last night

Mom : So when you get here, give me a list of whatever you don't/cant eat and i will get just those things for you
    Me : No ma, you don't have to shop separately for me, i will manage fine with whatever you have :)
    Mom: *in an annoyed tone* Yes but i don't want you to make a fuss when you get here!
    Me: No ma, it will be ok, i'm not picky.
    Mom : yeah...you never were...which is why you're this way now!

i say let them get the things you prefer. we have to do our own shopping when we visit my husbands mother because she eats like crap. she thinks because she doesnt have her pantry loaded with COOKIES or CANDY, that its ok for 10 bags of potato chips, 14 loaves of bread, and 10 lbs of pasta to line her cabinets.
  • jenslife82
    jenslife82 Posts: 229
    Options
    this is the type of diet my son will be on when he can eat solids. he will not ever know what mcdonalds tastes like. even if it requires lying to parents and telling them he is diabetic. We live in a day and age where we know more about health than ever before, there is no excuse for children going up obese in todays world.

This is what I'm going to do when I have a baby someday. I'm practicing making all these healthy foods not just for me but for my future husband and children so we may live a healthy life together. Such a difficult concept right? I think getting my boyfriend to eat better is going to be the hardest part, he loves his wings and mozzarella sticks. :laugh:

My 5 year old daughter has never tasted soda, and almost exclusively drinks water and milk (but mostly water when it's warm). She loves apples and grapes and one of her very favorite foods is a sweet potato, just baked with nothing on it. While she is still a fairly typical 5 year old that loves the occasional treat of mcdonalds chicken nuggets (with apple slices!) or chocolate chip cookie, I try to make sure that our daily choices are nutritionally sound and we sometimes play a game where she thinks of foods and asks me if they are good for her or not.
    This is awesome :) good for you, and her!
  • Drawberry
    Drawberry Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    "Go eat a sandwich"

The sales clerk in the store told me this when I found out this company doesn't make bras small enough for me any more. And so I don't sop there any more.

And this was followed up by you sending a strongly worded letter ending with the insistence that this employee be fired as they clearly have no social abilities what so ever?

I have the opposite problem, I am large chested and whenever I go to a run-of-the-mill department store the employee's (and fellow shoppers) decide to look me up and down with an amused look. How about helping me find a goddamn bra instead of standing there snickering >:I !?

One time while at a department store I was looking for a larger than average bra. DD The clerk told me I might try Lane Bryant. That really pissed me off. I've never had to go there before. My size might be scarce but I can usually find a few. I looked anyway and found several bras at that very department store. Rude, just rude.

I actually don't mind going to plus-size stores for my bra's simply because I can get a much cuter bra there that actually FITS! I have two bra's that are size 38C and are so ill-fitting i constantly keep pulling the side of the cups back over my breast. I have two bras that are 34D's and are so loose they basically fall off my body no matter where I tighten anything. Plus size stores like Torrid have the cute lacy bras I like and will actually...you know.hold my boobs up! Even if I find a right sized bra at a department store I always have a problem with them fitting just the right way :/

It might not have been a comment meant to suggest you where overweight, or picking fun at you. I can see how it would be a very sensitive subject and even if the intent wasn't to make fun of you-it could easily come across as a jab about your body.
  • xPOOKiEx
    xPOOKiEx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    "You're skinny, why do you eat healthy?"

Duh---I'm skinny because I'm eating healthy and exercising....
  • MelanieSpicegurl
    MelanieSpicegurl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I hate it when they say :
    You are doing so well !!!! ( After salad and fish for dinner )
    ... an hour later ...
    Oh .. we are running up to Krispy Kreme .. guess you don't want anything huh ... ???

O.o Uhhhhhh ....
  • mcarden86
    mcarden86 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    "How can you eat that HEALTHY food, don't you get sick of depriving yourself" :huh: :noway:

Nope that's how I got fat in the first place

THIS.
  • C_June
    Options

Is there some law that says your MIL has to be like that?!?!

The worst part is she actually thinks she's helping. :grumble:

Oh I know. It took me 2 months to get MIL to stop buying me stuff.

"I got you stuff to help with your diet! Cup o noodles, butter for your toast, some brownies,..."

did you say "yeah just go ahead and store them right in the garbage."?
  • C_June
    Options
    I literally just got called a food nazi, by a co-worker; In front of my daughter while she handed her a brownie the size of her head.

because you told her that it wasnt ok to give your child that much brownie?
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I reach for a treat and my mom will ask: Should you be eating that??

LOL

And I say (again and again and again): Yes, mom, I can eat that...because I am alotting for it in my daily calorie allowance...I am making room for it by watching what I eat 80% of the time...... I eat healthy most of the time but leave room for some fun/error too! It is a LIFESTYLE not a diet...

She doesn't get it. She comes from a generation where losing weight means thinking you have to live on cabbage soup and veggies.
  • purpleflowersofdeath
    Options
    I hate when people tell me I'm not fat, or don't weigh as much as I say I do (good to know you know better than I do when you've never seen the scale lol)... and then they go, "OMG! You look so good! You've lost so much in your (insert body part here)!" :huh: Thought I wasn't fat guys. Worst of all is when I say I'm tryin to loose weight they tell me I don't need to, I'm perfect just how I am.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    this is the type of diet my son will be on when he can eat solids. he will not ever know what mcdonalds tastes like. even if it requires lying to parents and telling them he is diabetic. We live in a day and age where we know more about health than ever before, there is no excuse for children going up obese in todays world.

This is what I'm going to do when I have a baby someday. I'm practicing making all these healthy foods not just for me but for my future husband and children so we may live a healthy life together. Such a difficult concept right? I think getting my boyfriend to eat better is going to be the hardest part, he loves his wings and mozzarella sticks. :laugh:

My 5 year old daughter has never tasted soda, and almost exclusively drinks water and milk (but mostly water when it's warm). She loves apples and grapes and one of her very favorite foods is a sweet potato, just baked with nothing on it. While she is still a fairly typical 5 year old that loves the occasional treat of mcdonalds chicken nuggets (with apple slices!) or chocolate chip cookie, I try to make sure that our daily choices are nutritionally sound and we sometimes play a game where she thinks of foods and asks me if they are good for her or not.

That's wonderful! I'll have to keep this in mind when I have babies someday. I want them to never have to struggle with their weight as much as I have. :)
  • Navotc
    Navotc Posts: 97
    Options
    Ok, I've commented on this thread 3 times, but I have more to say. Sorry, everyone!

This one was priceless and precious, in an sweet and well-intentioned but unfortunate sort of way.

My birthday was last Wednesday. My mom showed up at my house as a surprise on Monday (after driving 2 hours one way). She had with her TWO angelfood cakes. She said, "I know you're trying to watch what you eat, so I have 2 options for you. Here's an angelfood cake ("lighter" cake) with frosting, and here's just a plain angelfood cake that you can put fruit on if you want." Thoughtful, right? I pointed to the plain one and said, "I'll take this one. Thanks, Mom." (Not that I really wanted the sugar, but you take it to be nice.) She said, "Oh, no, keep them both! They're both for you."
    In other words, I know you're watching your weight, but I just made you TWO CAKES!

This sweet woman spent over an hour making frosting from scratch and baking 2 kinds of cake and drove 4 hours round trip to deliver me sweets I didn't want because she wanted to be sure I had options for my birthday since I'm watching my weight. *sigh*