Stupid things people say when they hear you're dieting

Options

Replies

• Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    This one came from my DAD.

I was showing him my progress pictures, being so proud of myself and what I have accomplished so far. He looks at the "before" pictures and says "Wow. I don't remember you being that fat. I guess I was in denial that I had a small whale for a daughter" as he laughs. He thinks he's funny.

That's not cool. My brother probably would have said something similar. >.<
  • Salvi30
    Salvi30 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    "Don't over do it"
  • colson72687
    Options
    I work with mostly men at a Sheriff's Department and the guys who work in my individual office don't help my self-control on eating out a lunch. In fact, my boss is in pretty good shape and has that metabolism where he can eat whatever he wants, even in his early 50s and still be healthy. Whenever I say I'm dieting and trying to eat better or any comment relating to it, the next morning it will never fail that my boss brings in either cookies, donuts, or some sort of dessert item for the office. Thanks guys! :) lol so I know how this feels!
  • erikapereira
    erikapereira Posts: 196
    Options
    People the most important thing is learn how to ignore all that negative vibes. They are just jelous that we are determined and they dont.

Example mostly from my partner:

I can eat rice and past, I dont need to lose weight. After that I rub his belly and smile :)

You are doing the excersice wrong, you dont know how to do it. I just keep doing my thing and completly ignore the comment.

I started doing excersice with my sister in law and she was always bringing chinese food, sodas, french fries??? WTH? why u bring all that crap??? or sometimes she buy groceries and send home french fries, cinamon bread, etc. She sabotage me. I stopped doing excersice with her V.V
  • JACKYGETNMYBODYBACK
    JACKYGETNMYBODYBACK Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    my cowrker told me - we supposed to be this size we're big boned- i told her no sweetie we're fat
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    My husband's Nana constantly tells me that I need to cook and feed him more, because he's "wasting away".

My husband has lost about 15-20 lbs since we've been married becuase I cook healthier food (not less food) than his mom and Nana spoiled him with, and becuase his job requires him to walk a lot more than his previous desk job did. He is still in the upper range of "Healthy" for his height, and is by no means wasting away.. I think he looks great!

His mom and nana will pack boxes of "home cooked" (read:fried) foods, cakes, cookies, and snacks and attempt to send them home with us when we visit. "Well, even if YOU don't want them, *husband* and *son* will need them!" No, no one "needs" your heart attack in a box!

I also get "I'm so sorry" "poor thing" when they see me making healthier choices than what they are serving.. whole grain toast instead of biscuits for breakfast, a boiled egg instead of deviled, chicken breast instead of ham (I generally help them in the kitchen, so I "tweak" my meal a bit). But, I don't need anyone to feel sorry for me.. I'm happy about this, I'm trying to get healthy!

Omg, my gram does the same thing with my husband. He is 125 lbs. and he eats like a pig. When I see him eating like a pig, my cravings go into overdrive, and I want what he has. So I have asked him to change his eating habits for the better with me, to make it easier on me now, and easier for us when we have kids. Because I know our kids will see mommy eating veggies and grilled chicken, and daddy scarfing down chips and ice cream, and they will want ice cream. When I was talking about this new program I'm in with my gram and mom, my gram basically threw a fit that I was expecting my husband to eat healthier too. She is adamant that because he is skinny he doesn't need to watch what he eats, because apparently if you aren't overweight cholesterol, saturated fats, and excess sugar won't affect your body. Soon she's gonna get told to put her comments where the sun doesn't shine. I love her, but the woman has no sensor, doesn't think before she speaks, and is down right rude.
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    "OMG! What diet are you on?" ME: "Oh just eating healthy and exercising"

i always get crickets or head tilts or eyes rolled like no on earth has ever lost weight just by being a healthy person. They think you have to have a gimmick to lose.
  • kesteele
    kesteele Posts: 127
    Options
    my fiance said this yesterday when we were deciding what to eat -- now I've gotten to where I can handle myself out to eat. And he narrowed it down to mexican and asian; and then said well let's eat mexican because I know you've been going to the gym and you probably wouldn't want to do a buffet....You should have SEEN the look I gave him!!!!! Needless to say I got babied the rest of the night because he was sorry he said that. HA
  • katejenkins1
    katejenkins1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Awww, I miss pancakes. I haven't had them in a looong time. We also haven't used the waffle iron in forever. We need to make a low cal waffle mix or something. hmmmm....

I bet you could add in a % of whole wheat flour in the batter..... I think you have given me a something to work on! :smile:
  • kahlee2000
    kahlee2000 Posts: 77
    Options
    These comments used to really bother me -- as well as the looks that went with them! Especially when I started and I couldn't even stand for more than 2 minutes. But I carefully selected a handful of people that I knew would support me (My bro -- he's my greatest cheerleader) and now my response is let's see how successful you are at it.

I see these comments for what they are -- I have done something that they haven't been able to. (And even if it isn't weight loss -- I guarantee it is something!) And now instead of getting shook up over it I just laugh when they get that shocked look on their face and tell me that my loss numbers are in "The Biggest Looser" category!

Yes, yes they are -- and man do I feel great! ;)
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat meat where do you get your protein from? Ah...from LOTS of whole plants, nuts, & beans. Do you think cows eat meat in nature to build muscle(meat)? I know the food factories feed the food animals meat as well as concrete, wood shavings, and other yummy stuff to "build them up"! they don't have a choice, but luckily I do!
  • FrostyFour
    FrostyFour Posts: 262
    Options

Is there some law that says your MIL has to be like that?!?!

The worst part is she actually thinks she's helping. :grumble:

Oh I know. It took me 2 months to get MIL to stop buying me stuff.

"I got you stuff to help with your diet! Cup o noodles, butter for your toast, some brownies,..."

did you say "yeah just go ahead and store them right in the garbage."?

Haha I went through the house, bagged up all the crap and left it on her bed. Hee hee she comes out and says "Subtle"
  • grex1949
    grex1949 Posts: 130
    Options
    this is the type of diet my son will be on when he can eat solids. he will not ever know what mcdonalds tastes like. even if it requires lying to parents and telling them he is diabetic. We live in a day and age where we know more about health than ever before, there is no excuse for children going up obese in todays world.

This is what I'm going to do when I have a baby someday. I'm practicing making all these healthy foods not just for me but for my future husband and children so we may live a healthy life together. Such a difficult concept right? I think getting my boyfriend to eat better is going to be the hardest part, he loves his wings and mozzarella sticks. :laugh:

My 5 year old daughter has never tasted soda, and almost exclusively drinks water and milk (but mostly water when it's warm). She loves apples and grapes and one of her very favorite foods is a sweet potato, just baked with nothing on it. While she is still a fairly typical 5 year old that loves the occasional treat of mcdonalds chicken nuggets (with apple slices!) or chocolate chip cookie, I try to make sure that our daily choices are nutritionally sound and we sometimes play a game where she thinks of foods and asks me if they are good for her or not.
    This is awesome :) good for you, and her!

Good for you! You are taking your parenting responsibilities seriously.
    The habits many of us are trying so hard to break were formed when we were children. "Finish all the food on your plate! Children are starving in China!" (Why were those starving kids always from China in my house? I guess I'll never know.)
  • Anastasia_97
    Options
    The worst people tell me (list).

- You lose weigh quickly. Are u sure you're doing it safe? - I eat 1300-1700 kcal ...-

- Why don't you eat this pizza/french fries/other ****? Come on. Eat it!

- Mmmmm....this chocolate is delicious.

Like wtf?!? Don't they want to help me???? : |
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    "OMG! What diet are you on?" ME: "Oh just eating healthy and exercising"

i always get crickets or head tilts or eyes rolled like no on earth has ever lost weight just by being a healthy person. They think you have to have a gimmick to lose.

I had the same expression said to me but with a hopeful "Jenny Craig?" added. When I told her I was eating healthy and exercising I was told that was boring and was dismissed even though I had already lost 15 pounds! Yeah, it's boring being a size 4 & 6 instead of a size 16. The thrill of shopping is just so dull with just any old thing will fit me now! NOT! = D
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Guy I haven't seen in a while (as he gives me a weird eyeball): How much weight have you lost?
    Me: 20 lbs
    Guy: That's freaky. I know a guy that just kept losing weight and he looks sick now.

Um, thanks?

On a good note, I was making chicken tacos the other night and checking out the calories in a small tortilla and my husband said, "Stop looking at that!" I said, "That's how I lost the weight in the first place." He said, "Good point. Forget I said anything." and gave me a hug.

It's so nice to be supported. :)
  • beckijay29
    beckijay29 Posts: 16
    Options
    My other half loves me regardless, but i'd like to be a bit healthier tbh
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    How about "how can you afford that eating healthy is so expensive I cant do it"

love this one ..... we have halved our food bill since moving to 100% healthy diet for us and the kids eat mostly what we do .... we cook double and triple portions and freeze them in case we are in a hurry one night, it saves going for bad choices ....
  • Roseanna38
    Roseanna38 Posts: 1
    Options
    "When I see it, I will believe it.."
  • SunShyneBright
    Options
    "Yeah, I need to lose weight too." - The skinny co-worker who has no extra fat on her body.
    "I gave up trying years ago." - The overwieght co-worker who is miserable.