what to do with cottage cheese?

Options

Replies

• neederan
    neederan Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I like to mix cottage cheese (large curd if possible) with greek yogurt (or light sour cream) and top with Frank's Hot sauce.
    It's my version of dip for Buffalo wings..of which I am not an expert. To me the cottage cheese takes place of blue cheese.
    Hot sauce is good with cottage cheese. I used to put Ketchup on it..don't knock it until you try it.
  • LeahMyGies
    LeahMyGies Posts: 1
    Options
    Love cottage cheese! Use it for lots of things--great as a side or snack mixed with fresh or canned fruit. (I love peaches, pears or pineapple.) Also mix it with cut-up tomato, sliced green onion, red pepper. Or use it as a dip with sliced green onion (including the green part) and/or garlic (minced or powder). Then I dip celery, cucumber, broccoli, red pepper, any veggie. Even chips as an alternative to higher fat chip dips. Be creative--cottage cheese is pretty versatile!
  • kinsellae
    kinsellae Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Plain cottage cheese makes me gag! If I eat it I have to have it topped on a baked potato or in a green salad instead of dressing...or with frittos!
  • Dare2BThin
    Dare2BThin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Pineapples, peaches, and other fruit are my favoite!
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    BUMP so I can keep that mac and cheese recipe!
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Bump. Love all the ideas!
  • ErynGilmore
    Options
    Add fruit, at first I thought it was gross but some makes it good. I like pineapple or strawberrys.
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I make baked mac & cheese with it. It's a lighter & healthier version and I swear no one every knows and there is never any left overs.

I also, put it in pasta bakes...it melts nice & creamy.

Wow, mac and cheese?? Do you happen to have a recipe or is it just a case of replacing the cheese? :)

2 cups cottage cheese
    1 cup Light sour cream
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    Garlic powder and pepper to taste
    2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    7 ounces cooked pasta

Directions
    Mix the cottage cheese, sour cream, egg, garlic salt and pepper. Add cheddar cheese. Add macaroni and stir until coated.

Transfer to a greased baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.

About 230 calories a serving. Serves 8

you're my hero! thanks!

No problem :smile:

Hope you enjoy it!!
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Bump!

I usually eat it plain or with a sliced peach.
  • beggaboo2000
    beggaboo2000 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Made cottage cheese quiche last week, 2 eggs, 300g cottage cheese, a pack of baby spinach, half a leek, half a red onion, 2 closed cup mushrooms & baked at 180 for 40 mins.

It was the business. I cooked it in a cake tin with baking paper lining & it helped keep the quiche solid once it was removed.

I refridgerated it straight away in the paper. The next morning the paper peeled away easily & I was left with a perfectly set quiche.

Totally yumm & I will be making more tonight.
  • margie957
    margie957 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Make a Double O from Hungry Girl site. I love it.
  • aroseib
    aroseib Posts: 1
    Options
    My mom used to place a leaf of lettuce on a plate then put a scoop of cottage cheese on top and top with a pineapple ring. Can use any type of fruit you like on top.
  • Hattieross
    Hattieross Posts: 17
    Options
    Make low fat egg salad!

Take (4) hard boiled eggs and combine with 3/4 cup low fat cottage cheese. That's your basic egg salad.

Then add your favorites; chopped celery, minced onion or chives, dill, squirt of dijon mustard and eat open faced on a slice of whole wheat bread or in a whole grain tortilla wrap with lots of lettuce or as a side scoop on salad.

Delish!
  • Tapricias
    Tapricias Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I substitute cottage cheese for ricotta cheese in lasagna. or 1/2 and 1/2
  • BreakingUpWith75lbs_Cass
    Options
    Add one tsp of peanutbutter mix it in sounds weird but its very good!
  • lilmzzgreeneyez
    lilmzzgreeneyez Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i came on here and was just about to post looking for cottage cheese recipes lol. thank to this thread i have a ton already written up to look into lol.
  • lori8431
    lori8431 Posts: 68
    Options
    eat with diced fresh tomatoes and green pepper, salt and pepper. Very good.
  • valeriek14
    Options
    bump-these are some great ideas!
  • awilke03
    awilke03 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    garlic lemon pepper seasoning sprinkled on is really good! & I can't wait to try the baked Mac & cheese! so excited to try all the new ideas - peanut butter, smoothies ... maybe a peanut butter cottage cheese smoothie mmmm :happy: