what to do with cottage cheese?

Options

Replies

• ecove
    ecove Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, a packet of Splenda and fresh fruit is my favorite.
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I make baked mac & cheese with it. It's a lighter & healthier version and I swear no one every knows and there is never any left overs.

I also, put it in pasta bakes...it melts nice & creamy.
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I use it instead of natural/greek yoghurt or soya milk :flowerforyou:
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    TOPIC: what to do with cottage cheese?

Throw it away... that's not food ;-)
  • LHudson53
    LHudson53 Posts: 126
    Options
    I have a 3-step method:

1. Buy it because it's healthy
    2. Put it in the back of the refrigerator because it's gross
    3. Throw it out when it grows hair
  • SadieToughLady
    Options
    I eat it with peaches and strawberries. I make a breakfast of strawberries, walnuts, and cottage cheese.
  • jreimund
    jreimund Posts: 64
    Options
    wow lots of yummy ideas here! never knew it was so versitile! I like mine plain with salt and pepper :)
  • IokiOcto
    IokiOcto Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Any fruit will do, I usually eat mine with Apple sauce. Also have a recipe for deviled eggs that uses it. I also like it in salad.

Makes me want some NOW!
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Chop up half a cucumber. Mix with 1c cottage cheese. Add salt and pepper.

I usually eat it plain though, with a few dried figs.
  • jenlouise4
    jenlouise4 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have it on crackers and with an apple for lunch. Or (probably oddly) plain in a sandwich if I'm taking a packed lunch!
    i've seen a lot of people really don't like the taste much but I really like it. Don't really feel the need to buy those ones with added ingredients like pineapple or chilli.
    I was just glad to find something that I really liked that's also seen as healthy :D
  • SuperSneaky
    SuperSneaky Posts: 43
    Options
    Sometimes I use it as a salad dressing and sprinkle a little paprika on it.

Sometimes I make it a breakfast by mixing 1/2 cup of cottage cheese with 1/2 T (real) maple syrup and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
  • JeffJohnson26
    JeffJohnson26 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I always mix 1/2 cup of the fat free cottage cheese into my veggie smart pasta sause. Then add whole wheat pasta or pour it over grilled chicken breast.
  • jenlouise4
    Options
    I make baked mac & cheese with it. It's a lighter & healthier version and I swear no one every knows and there is never any left overs.

Wow, mac and cheese?? Do you happen to have a recipe or is it just a case of replacing the cheese? :)
  • JoyousJustine67
    JoyousJustine67 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i use it to replace mayo in tuna salad sandwich :) and i eat it with tomato and/or pepper i love spicy seasoning on it as well --- just some of my things i do with it ...............
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I LOVE it with cantaloupe :-)
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Drop spoonfuls of it out of the window...and watch the reactions of the people who thinks a bird just pooped on them.

I'm terrible..I know!!
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    on rice cakes. Or mix some protein powder through.
  • AbbyHoopi
    AbbyHoopi Posts: 48
    Options
    I eat it plain, but my sweetie and I also like to make a cheese dip out of it for a special treat. I just warm it slowly and add a bit of 2% or fat free cheddar and a little homemade salsa. It's creamy and feels like cheating without as many calories as regular cheese dip.

OMG! that sounds soo good and I was just talking about a lower fat cheese dip to use with Mexican food!!!! Do you have an exact measurement you use?? I bet I could chop some jalapeno in that and its like spicy cheese! MMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options

Wow, mac and cheese?? Do you happen to have a recipe or is it just a case of replacing the cheese? :)

2 cups cottage cheese
    1 cup Light sour cream
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    Garlic powder and pepper to taste
    2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    7 ounces cooked pasta

Directions
    Mix the cottage cheese, sour cream, egg, garlic salt and pepper. Add cheddar cheese. Add macaroni and stir until coated.

Transfer to a greased baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.

About 230 calories a serving. Serves 8
  • jenlouise4
    Options

2 cups cottage cheese
    1 cup Light sour cream
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    Garlic powder and pepper to taste
    2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    7 ounces cooked pasta

Directions
    Mix the cottage cheese, sour cream, egg, garlic salt and pepper. Add cheddar cheese. Add macaroni and stir until coated.

Transfer to a greased baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.

About 230 calories a serving. Serves 8

you're my hero! thanks!