what to do with cottage cheese?

Options

Replies

• Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have heard cottage cheese is really good but i have no idea how to use it! any recipes?

You don't "use" cottage cheese. You eat it. Just eat it. It's good all by itself.
  • Sonriendo
    Sonriendo Posts: 98
    Options
    I mixed up with scramble eggs and some basil the other day and my fam bam Loved IT.... :love: best of all they didn't even figure it out... lol until when I mention it.... :laugh:
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Spit it out and never look back at it again (unless you get a good quality cottage cheese). Do not get store brand! It takes like spoiled milk curd!
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Eat it by the truckloads is the only right answer.
  • MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I love to make banana nut protein pancakes with it!!!!

1/2 cup rolled oats
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    1/2 banana
    3 egg whites
    2 tbsp walnuts
    1 tsp cinnamon
    dash of nutmeg
    1tsp vanilla extract
    1 tbsp baking powder

Blend everything but the nuts in your blender until very smooth. Pour onto your skillet and sprinkle the nuts on top. YUMMMM!!!!
    YUMMY!! I'm going to try those this weekend!!! :-)
  • e_trexler
    e_trexler Posts: 32
    Options
    I eat it plain, but my sweetie and I also like to make a cheese dip out of it for a special treat. I just warm it slowly and add a bit of 2% or fat free cheddar and a little homemade salsa. It's creamy and feels like cheating without as many calories as regular cheese dip.

What a fantastic idea! Never thought of that before!
  • g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192
    Options
    With chopped tomatoes and crushed black pepper....mmmm...

I also put it on my spinach omelet before rolling it up.
  • stephaniekneld
    Options
    I chop up onions, celery, green and red peppers, grape tomatoes cut in half, sunflower seeds, and cilantro. Salt and pepper. Delicious.
  • Wilson929
    Wilson929 Posts: 100
    Options
    Bump Great ideas here! Saving this one for when I get some CC at home. YUM !
  • marylouise123
    marylouise123 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I just discovered about a month ago that I love cottage cheese.. I really like it plain.. I like it with fruit.. Have heard to eat it with veggies to.. The salsa & cheese one sounds great to.. Thanks for all the sharing... Might have to try a few..
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    plain or with some salt and pepper

when I didn’t watch what I ate dip it up with corn chips

any kind of fruit (drizzle a little honey if you like)

with tomatoes and a little rice vinegar

I got this from a close friend (I call it white girl enchiladas)
    take an enchilada shell and layer in seasoned ground beef (cooked) I also add in a little onion and taco seasoning to meat then add some cottage cheese, layer in some shredded cheese of choice and a little tomato, cilantro or any other add in for a enchilada rollup and do as many as you wish and lay out in a pan and cover with shredded cheese and some parmesan cheese and green enchilada sauce and bake at 350 degrees til top is bubbly and hot.
    Lower fat than sour cream

Also as an add in to a jello/cool whip fruit salad
    Let jello (larger box) set up and shred up add in fruit of choice some whip cream and about 1/2 of cottage cheese to what you use of fruit.
    There are a few off the top of my head.
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    I'm low carbing (Diabetic and lap banded) so love cottage cheese with davinci pineapple sugar free syrup. I also used it instead of ricotta in a cheesy spinach bake (which I am sure could be made lower fat if you are not on a low carb type diet by using low fat cheese and such). We omitted the butter and used pam even tho we are on Atkin's diet:)

http://community.atkins.com/Templates/Recipe.aspx?RecipeID=abf900ea-4056-e011-9663-001ec9b2b3c8&BackToFavorites=true

We also added some mushrooms and will add some plain artichoke hearts next time for more nutrients and fiber!

The way that we made it (omitting onions due to gastric issues), it only had 147 calories a slice (I"m banded so that was enough for me and my husband ate something else with it)
  • sarasmile144
    sarasmile144 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I love to add a little chunky canned pineapple (w/ a splash of the pineapple juice) into cottage cheese.. it's more like a dessert this way, and is sooo good.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    I use it in my lasagna instead of ricotta cheese.
  • rmcruzin
    rmcruzin Posts: 1
    Options
    Dr. Oz was on one day and said cottage cheese was really good with pickles. I tried it, and it really isn't bad at all...Everyone should try it :)
  • 68bushunter
    68bushunter Posts: 23
    Options
    Was never a big fan of cottage cheese, but then I tried Fiber One cottage cheese and I love it. I mix it with crushed pineapple, in pineapple juice, not syrup, and mandarin oranges. It's a great snack and loaded with protein.
  • 68bushunter
    68bushunter Posts: 23
    Options
    I love to make banana nut protein pancakes with it!!!!

1/2 cup rolled oats
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    1/2 banana
    3 egg whites
    2 tbsp walnuts
    1 tsp cinnamon
    dash of nutmeg
    1tsp vanilla extract
    1 tbsp baking powder

Blend everything but the nuts in your blender until very smooth. Pour onto your skillet and sprinkle the nuts on top. YUMMMM!!!!
    YUMMY!! I'm going to try those this weekend!!! :-)
    Sounds delicious!!!
  • stephaniekhani
    stephaniekhani Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I like it on top of Ryvita slices... the sweet red onion crackers are a particular fave!
  • ChickPea89
    ChickPea89 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I LOVE it with pineapple on Tuc biscuits.
  • KeKy4
    KeKy4 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I eat it plain or with fruit on top, oranges, pineapple, peaches.

I've also made a lower calorie buffalo chicken dip with it because I love that stuff, I just put about equal amounts cottage cheese and shredded chicken and added Frank's Red Hot. I dipped celery and wheat thins in it, it was delicious!