Do you donate blood?

Options

Replies

• catfish9
    catfish9 Posts: 138
    Options
    I want to donate, but tattoos and pericings.

Also, I've had sex with men that have had sex with men.

And we all know all gay men have aids right?
    no?
    it's not the 80s anymore?

Ah okay...but for some reason, gay men aren't allowed to give blood. At least in the UK. Oh wait - they changed it this year, you can give blood if you abstain from sex for a whole year.
    Yaaaaaaaaaay for no sex so that you can get stabbed with a needle and drained of blood!

but srsly, I'd like to donate blood, when my tattoos are a year old. And hopefully they change the rules so me and my best friend can go together by the time that happens (:

That rule infuriates me! I absolutely understand them deferring folks with confirmed illnesses, but they work under the assumption that everyone who has had sex with a male who's had sex with another male is a risk. I think it's a lifetime deferral in the US. It isn't fair, and nearly stopped me from donation on principle. Then I thought about it, and decided that that wasn't fair, either.
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    for all you A's out there.. they ask you for platelets I assume.. some crazy stuff donating platelets.. not for the faint of heart
    My Dad donates platelets, and he was a direct match for someone once. Important stuff!
  • ChubbyStudent25
    Options
    no, I would be one of those people that they would call ALL the time to donate (I'm O+), and every single time I have to get an IV placed, they blow my veins...EVERY time.

if they promised to not harass me to donate, I may be more inclined to donate.

WOW, this is EXACTLY the same thing I've experienced. I have itty bitty veins that "roll"- I've asked if they could use smaller needles (they DO have them, use them for the double red blood cell donations) but they say NO- can't accommodate me.
    I've tried anyhow, and my arm has been so painful from the bruising that I've missed a day's work the next day as a result.

If they say they can't accommodate you than say never mind and leave.
  • Squeeks70
    Squeeks70 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Not only are you saving lives by donating your blood, you burn an average of 600 calories! It's a good thing all over!
  • Luvmesumkenny
    Luvmesumkenny Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    ♥ I wish I could donate... I have passed out EVERY time I have gone to give blood =(
    I'm terrified of needles =(
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Not only are you saving lives by donating your blood, you burn an average of 600 calories! It's a good thing all over!
    Except they give you a cookie for doing so
  • Alzzak
    Alzzak Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    O neg, and nope I like my blood to stay where it is... inside me
  • katemme
    katemme Posts: 191
    Options
    Please remember if you don't qualify it is not because someone is out to get you or dislike you because of lifestyle choices it is all about the health and safety of the RECIPIENT not the feeling of the making the donation. We need to insure a safe blood/plasma system. In the past we had a very unsafe supply and still there are times when "Bad Blood" slips through. I am very passionate about insuring we have a safe supply because my family relies on a safe supply for our very lives. There is 30 thousand units of purified, dried blood product sitting in my fridge right now. Is it safe? I have no idea but we are tested at least once a year for hiv and hep.
    If you have time there is a good documentary netflix "Bad Blood a cautionary tale"
    http://badblooddocumentary.com/

watching it right now!! i love a good documentary.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I used to give blood regularly for many years as did my late wife, Our blood was designated unwanted due to our time spent in England and the Mad Cow business, plus since that time my five years in Iraq, Checked just a month or so ago when the hospital I work in had a blood drive still don't want it.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I think it's wonderful people donate. I gave blood once but passed out for some reason and had to drink a ton of koolaid to come back. I won't go through that experience again. Glad to those that do though. :happy:
  • munkey418
    munkey418 Posts: 139
    Options

sad day! its simple painless and makes a big difference!
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I can't donate since I lived in the UK for 5 years around 1980 so I may or may not have the mad cow.
  • MNguerita
    MNguerita Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I do! Actually hoping to get more in too since I found out we can get wellness points for other drives, and not only the ones held at work.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Yep. I do a double red every 16 weeks.
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I used to, then needed transfusions when I got sick 2 years ago, because of that they won't let me donate anymore.

But I am SOO thankful to every person who donates! You really do save lives every time!
  • sageville
    sageville Posts: 3
    Options
    I just gave for the first time in March. I can't believe it took me this long. I have now become addicted!! There's something about lying there knowing something that you give is going to save a life. I can't wait until my 56 days are up so I can go again. If you haven't tried it, think about it. It's so easy and it means so much to someone out there.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I've donated blood twice. the first time went so smoothly i did it again. the second time they used my other arm to find the vein and it hurt a lot at first, sooooo I think i subconsciously have not gone back for that reason alone. i hate pain, but i know our blood supply is always low (so they say) and I have a universal blood type (o-) i believe, so i will deff get back into it. fave part is when it's over, haha. not a bad experience, just cause.
  • js25698
    js25698 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    YES!! I donate whole blood and also platelets. Received a 10 gallon award last year. People can't live without donations and you never know whose life you may save. Only a small percentage of eligible donors actually give. I wish more people would donate.
  • Alzzak
    Alzzak Posts: 89 Member
    Options

sad day! its simple painless and makes a big difference!
    Sad?
    painless?

If it was painless then, why are so many people afraid of needles?

Besides, I don't think they would take mine.... for the simple fact, I haven't even seen a doctor in 10 years (no insurance)
  • smileymel27
    smileymel27 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    YES!!!

My goal is 30 donations before 30 years old.

My next one is my 10th, and I'm 27... so we shall see.