Do you donate blood?

Options

Replies

• rininger85
    rininger85 Posts: 131
    Options
    I've started to donate whenever we do our blood drive at work... I don't particularly like needles but figured if I ever need blood I would hope someone else would donate so that's why I started... I'm also o neg so they come after me like vampires trying to get my blood... I have done double red the last two times.... the first time I did double red was a bad experience cuz they didn't know how to use the machine so they were wiggling the needle in my arm and joking about it which I wasn't pleased with... but I reported it to the red crossand had people coming out of the woodwork appologizing to me... so decided to give them one last chance and the last time I donated went good so they redeemed themselves
  • shcap
    shcap Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do! I had wanted to give blood for a long time, but was afraid of needles. My fear gradually went awayand then my dad had to have emergency surgery and he was given a lot of blood. I decided then I would donate. I have given every two months for the past year and hope to give for the rest of my life (as long as they will take it!). Such an easy way to give.
  • foxy2311
    foxy2311 Posts: 179
    Options
    I do when I can. My work has a blood mobile come twice a year, however I've had two tattoos in the past year so am unable to.
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I donate every 8 weeks if I can. Sometimes my iron is too low. I work in a hospital so we have a drive every 8 weeks and it's conveniently located.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I've tried. Twice. The first time they wouldn't allow me to donate because I was under the weight limit. The second time, I had used drugs, so my blood was bad.
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    I can't...as a Brit living in the USA, they will not take my blood for an indefinite period due to mad cow disease. I used to give blood all the time in England.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I donate regularly. I have a rare blood type, so they won't leave me alone anyway.

I hate the needle, but I've recently started giving double red donations (twice as many red blood cells, but they put the rest back). It keeps the Red Cross off my back for 16 weeks about donation, and the needle is smaller.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I can't...as a Brit living in the USA, they will not take my blood for an indefinite period due to mad cow disease. I used to give blood all the time in England.

As one of the Brits in our office puts it, "I cahn't.. I have mad cow disease..."

She still volunteers with them, though.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I'm O-, so I probably should. Does it take a long time? I literally can't sit still for more than a couple minutes.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I haven't in a while - I need to do that before I get inked again.
    I'm also on the bone marrow registry, for what that's worth...
  • janehen12
    janehen12 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I tried but they couldn't find a vein in my. Mine are really deep set apparently, normally takes them a good few attempts to get blood out of me for tests n stuff. Only one person has ever got it first time! Cried when they turned me down, I HATE needles so it took a lot of building up.

Gonna keep going back though, just incase one day they find it. Despite a fear of needles, my fear of getting a bit of blood out is nothing compared to fearing losing a loved one..
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I have donated before, but the past couple years I've been on a piercing/tattoo kick, so I haven't been able to. But, my year is up this month from my last tattoo, so hopefully I can soon!
  • BeckiCharlotte13x
    BeckiCharlotte13x Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I do :D I started a few days after my 17th birthday. I'm going today to give my 4th. (My mum has done over 50). I don't like the fact that I can't run or exercise or anything that day, makes me proper dizzy and lightheaded haha! I like that it's such a rewarding feeling and I feel justified to eat a little more than normal!
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    i dont donate to scared of needles :(
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    nope. I had hepatitis and can no longer donate blood or organs.
    end of story
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I used to donate regularly. I liked to watch the needle sticking into my arm. I had gotten my two gallon pin. And nutter butters...yum! I only ate them when I donated.

Then we got all crazy about mad cow. And eliminated anyone from donating who had lived on a military base in Europe. I finally got someone to explain why...it's because US military bases in Europe contracted their beef imports from the UK in the 80s and 90s.

The Red Cross have told me, they don't think they'll ever have the technology to screen blood for mad cow properly. So they'll probably never lift this ban. No more blood donating for me...I'm A-
  • blmr85
    blmr85 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have a couple times. Last time I did they blew my vein... not a fun experience. Red Cross always calls me because I have a blood type they need and sometimes they offer me gift cards : )
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I don't donate whole blood. I sell plasma twice a week.
    Personally, given what they charge for blood, I think donors should get some $ out of that, too.
  • nomena
    nomena Posts: 165
    Options
    I'm sadly not allowed to donate blood due to the medications I take, but I'll give with my friends and support them when they do!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'll be on the couch at 6.30 this evening giving my armful of B- (just 2% of the population) :glasses: