Running...couch to 5k?

Options

Replies

• Go1096
    Go1096 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I really would like to start that, but I have some concerns.

First I weight 280 lbs and I have had knew surgery a year ago. I would love love love to run, but I am worried that I may cause more damage to my knee since I am still so heavy.

Anyway input would be appreciated!
  • druannesh
    Options
    I think it is smart to repeat the weeks if necessary. I have fibromyalgia, so I have done several repeats of the first few weeks. But, I still find the program a fun way to convince myself to get off the couch! My stamina is slowly improving.
  • tniemeyer
    tniemeyer Posts: 321
    Options
    I just started week 3 on the treadmill. I am truly surprised at how much I am enjoying it! Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I'm officially starting it tomorrow. For the last couple weeks I've been working up to it (30 sec run intervals instead of the week 1 60 sec intervals). I feel ready to try week 1 as far as cardio goes, but I'm little worried about my knees. I've been getting weird discomfort from them, in different places (it's almost random - it's that hard to pin point). I'm hoping that as I work to improve my form, that the discomfort will improve. Crossing my fingers, because i really want to do this.
  • fwalz3
    fwalz3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 1 of C25k and am really liking it! My work does the Special Olympics Torch Run every year, usually the beginning of June. I've vowed to run it at least once before I retire. It's a little over 4 miles, from one end of town to the other.
  • Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I started on monday and aggrivated my ankle so I am off till next week at earliest I got a bit excited and eneded up starting at week 6 so I hope to have a 5 k in me by end of september
  • vhines5
    vhines5 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am signing up for a 5K on Oct 20th and will be starting the C25K program tonight. I started a couple months ago but stopped because of "relationship issues". I ditched the issues and am now looking to ditch the weigh I've added too. Wish me luck!
  • Go1096
    Go1096 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am signing up for a 5K on Oct 20th and will be starting the C25K program tonight. I started a couple months ago but stopped because of "relationship issues". I ditched the issues and am now looking to ditch the weigh I've added too. Wish me luck!

Good luck!
  • FireFae
    Options
    I did start week three yesterday and it was actually easier than I expected ... not easy though :D I'm running again tomorrow, if the weather allows ...
  • sarabara06
    Options
    I am starting week three of couch to 5k on Monday, it's going great! It kicks my butt, but that butt needs to be kicked!
  • almst50
    almst50 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 7 - it's an awesome program. I'm going to be 50 next month and after a lifetime of inactivity I decided a 5k was a goal I'd like to be able to say I accomplished (never even ran around the track once as a kid - I'm that inactive!) My first week was a jog 60 seconds/walk 90 seconds repetition, and I could BARELY make the 60 seconds of jogging! I was sure there was no way this was going to be possible for me. This past Friday I actually jogged an entire 2 miles straight - just goes to show that with God all things are truly possible. It's helped me to be able to face other areas of my life that may be painful or difficult. Now I'm learning to accept those things and push through rather than eat my way through them to numb the pain. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it as much as I am!
  • FireFae
    Options
    I'm on Week 7 - it's an awesome program. I'm going to be 50 next month and after a lifetime of inactivity I decided a 5k was a goal I'd like to be able to say I accomplished (never even ran around the track once as a kid - I'm that inactive!) My first week was a jog 60 seconds/walk 90 seconds repetition, and I could BARELY make the 60 seconds of jogging! I was sure there was no way this was going to be possible for me. This past Friday I actually jogged an entire 2 miles straight - just goes to show that with God all things are truly possible. It's helped me to be able to face other areas of my life that may be painful or difficult. Now I'm learning to accept those things and push through rather than eat my way through them to numb the pain. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it as much as I am!

That is amazing! You did it! You must fee great! I can't wait to get to that point! High-five!
  • doitforabby
    doitforabby Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    After checking out this post, I think I a going to try this ... at 325lbs I'm not sure how this will work, but I will be giving it a try.

For anyone doing this on a treadmill - do you adjust the incline at all? Thanks!
  • KarenRae66
    KarenRae66 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have just downloaded that also!! very cool...Am with ya Girl!!
  • miss_lizz
    miss_lizz Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i started training for a half marathon on monday, congrats!!
  • emmaonamission
    Options
    I started today, I'm doing it on a treadmill :) I did the first day last week actually but I thought I'd repeat it because its been about 5 days since I did it. Feel free to add me as a c25k buddy :D
  • JCKKB374
    JCKKB374 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about trying this program. I recently started jogging a little. 5 minutes warm up on the treadmill at 3.5 mph and then every time the clock has a 0 or a 5...I jog for 1.5 minutes! Yesterday I did that for 45 minutes...and I can STILL walk today!! Wondering how the C25k work and if its similar to what I am already doing?
  • FireFae
    Options
    I did 3rd week day 2 yesterday and unfortunately I couldn't keep up with the program due to my Runkeeper app freezing up on me. So instead, I decided to just run/walk however I feel necessary. My longest run was actually whole 6 minutes! I was a bit shocked after I checked out the time ... then I ran 3 minutes twice and two minutes and walked the remained of the twenty minutes (not including the 5 minutes' warm up. So I actually pleasantly surprised myself! I was also running on some really rough terrain with insane inclines ... Unfortunately I felt a bit of uncomfortable pressure in my right knee after the run :(

I won't run until Thursday and then I'm done with week 3!!! :love:

Good luck to everyone! You will all positively surprise yourselves at some point, just like I did yesterday! :heart:
  • jessc4343
    jessc4343 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I did 3rd week day 2 yesterday and unfortunately I couldn't keep up with the program due to my Runkeeper app freezing up on me. So instead, I decided to just run/walk however I feel necessary. My longest run was actually whole 6 minutes! I was a bit shocked after I checked out the time ... then I ran 3 minutes twice and two minutes and walked the remained of the twenty minutes (not including the 5 minutes' warm up. So I actually pleasantly surprised myself! I was also running on some really rough terrain with insane inclines ... Unfortunately I felt a bit of uncomfortable pressure in my right knee after the run :(

I won't run until Thursday and then I'm done with week 3!!! :love:

Good luck to everyone! You will all positively surprise yourselves at some point, just like I did yesterday! :heart:

I've found that little victories like that (whether intended or not!) really, really help out during the tough "long" runs. The 20 minute run they throw in on day 3 of week 5 I am convinced is so that when you're doing w6d1 you don't give up: "if I can run for 20 minutes straight, I can absolutely finish this!" A little confidence boost to remember for tough times to come!

Good job on the self-timed interval run; I hope your knee feels better soon!
  • SNYPorter
    SNYPorter Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would be a taker, when are you starting? Just trying to get back to taking this seriously,,, I seriously need too!!