What's more important: Weight or Physique?

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    The only time weight would have any significance is if one were entering a competition, and wanted to get into a certain class.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    The scale is one of several progress-measuring tools, nothing more.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    For me? Overall fitness. I don't want to be that guy that looks ripped but can't run a mile.

<-- I can go for 70.3 miles and look damn good while doing it.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Physique. I look better now at 158lbs than I did 3 years ago at 145lbs.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    I just want to feel amazing. I want to be strong and beautiful. I'm working on building my confidence back after years of it in the tank.

I really don't terribly care what the number on the scale is.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,010 Member
    Weight definitely. When I grow up I want to be a trapeze artist in the circus and apparently there is a pretty low weight limit.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,870 Member
    Health.

Other than that, physique.
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    If I had to choose between only those two, I'd say physique, but neither one of those are how I gauge my personal progress. After I had several injuries in one year and had to work to gain back the mobility, flexibility, and stamina that I once took for granted, how my body feels and how well it functions became most important.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Weight for me. As a triathlete, and moreover a long course triathlete, lighter is faster for the most part. That said I don't want to have the typical skinny fat appearance many do so I still lift.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Both.

I'd like to operate at a ligher weight for my activities. I'm noitcably quicker at lighter weights. But I lift at a deficit in order to try to hold as much muscle as possible.

It's easier to try to get rid of 5-10lbs to help you quickness/vertical than it is to try to improve it by training. (although I do both)
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,014 Member
    Physique. Hands down. Scale is nothing but a number.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Weight: Since I have a tattoo of my weight on my forehead (I change it for all fluctuations, including the water weight after a great training session), I get really embarrassed when I have a bigger number than the people that are bigger than me.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Overall health, and then physique.

You can have a great physique... but if you don't have a good handle on your sugar, cholesterol, blood pressure, etc... it doesn't matter.

I guess it comes back to my fitness goal: To be healthy and be around for my kids.

My weight comes in a distant 3rd.
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    I used to think weight until i started lifting

Now its all physique....I measure and attempt to ignore the scale

Im starting to be happy with my body
  • jensterx3
    jensterx3 Posts: 21
    neither, it's about health!
  • hanahlai
    hanahlai Posts: 281 Member
    Physique! I weighed 135 lbs about 4 years ago in a size 6. I am 137 lbs now in a size 2/4.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Physique, of course. My "goal weight" is 160 pounds, but I'd like to be 160 pounds and circa 18% bodyfat.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    I am striving to change my physique and health. Technically, and visually, I am fine. 153lbs, 5'9". But, my BF% is very high at about 30%. I can only bench 40, and can't even leg press with my right leg b/c my knees are in such bad shape. I feel like having a heart attack after a 4mph walk... I look fine, but my body is absurdly weak.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Health, fitness, physique, weight in that order.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Physique and body composition. Dont care what the scales says just want to get the body fat lower. I had to pick a goal weight where I think the BF and weight loss will match up though.