What's more important: Weight or Physique?

Options

Replies

• almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

Building lean mass, otherwise known as muscle tissue, means that your body burns calories more efficiently. In the long run, that means you will lose weight more easily, and critically, keep it off more easily.

Lean mass also doesn't store various potentially-harmful hormones and chemicals in the same way that fat does, so an increase in lean mass and a commensurate decrease in non-lean mass may be protective against various diseases and illnesses that are related to excess fat.

Lean muscle mass also provides protection and support for your joints. Strength training can have a preventitive effect against various joint-issues.

On a purely visual level, a little strength training now (I use a five lb hand weight and a few body-weight exercises) will mean that as you lose weight, your physique will already be more in line to match up visually with your weight-related goals.

Why do you not want to do strength training? It needn't be a 'one-or-t'other' strength or cardio approach - both are good.

Thanks for responding. I haven't wanted to do strength training as I'm focusing on reducing body fat (not necessarily adding muscle in its place for now), and getting to a healthy BMI as my goal. It's not that my 120lbs goal weight based on BMI is a final goal, but that it's the marker to show I'm at a 'healthy weight' which I feel is important.

I'm going to keep the weight off, that's not an issue, nor is the speed at which I lose, or the look. For me, it's about nutrition and health, with the focus being on a body that will last, not necessarily one that looks good. That's why, for now, I'm solely doing cardio - working on my heart and lungs.

Just want to point out:

When you're in a calorie deficit, you don't do weight training to build muscle. You do it to help minimize the loss of lean body mass. It's much easier to preserve what you already have than trying to get it back later. Keeping your existing muscle mass will help you lose fat more effectively. Building muscle requires a surplus of calories, which means you would have to gain weight (and fat) to get it back.

If you start working on your physique now, you'll be happier with the way you look sooner and will save yourself a whole lot of additional hassle when you reach your goal weight.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Physique!
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    def physique...i weigh the same as i did 1 year ago but am in pants that are 2 sizes smaller!!!

same here. 2 sizes smaller, same weight. amazing how much muscle can affect your body size, no matter what the weight.
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options

Building lean mass, otherwise known as muscle tissue, means that your body burns calories more efficiently. In the long run, that means you will lose weight more easily, and critically, keep it off more easily.

Lean mass also doesn't store various potentially-harmful hormones and chemicals in the same way that fat does, so an increase in lean mass and a commensurate decrease in non-lean mass may be protective against various diseases and illnesses that are related to excess fat.

Lean muscle mass also provides protection and support for your joints. Strength training can have a preventitive effect against various joint-issues.

On a purely visual level, a little strength training now (I use a five lb hand weight and a few body-weight exercises) will mean that as you lose weight, your physique will already be more in line to match up visually with your weight-related goals.

Why do you not want to do strength training? It needn't be a 'one-or-t'other' strength or cardio approach - both are good.

Thanks for responding. I haven't wanted to do strength training as I'm focusing on reducing body fat (not necessarily adding muscle in its place for now), and getting to a healthy BMI as my goal. It's not that my 120lbs goal weight based on BMI is a final goal, but that it's the marker to show I'm at a 'healthy weight' which I feel is important.

I'm going to keep the weight off, that's not an issue, nor is the speed at which I lose, or the look. For me, it's about nutrition and health, with the focus being on a body that will last, not necessarily one that looks good. That's why, for now, I'm solely doing cardio - working on my heart and lungs.

When you are lowering body fat % what do you plan on replacing the body fat with? Your answer should be lean body mass. That would be muscle, a product of strength training. I just started strength training a month ago I feel stronger, have lost inches off my body because the fat being stored is being burned off and I'm replacing it with muscle. I love cardio to don't get me wrong but I wasn't getting the results I am now when I was doing purely cardio.
  • will010574
    will010574 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Physique!
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

I have to go to lunch just now, but I will reply!
  • BriaMc
    BriaMc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    awesome point! I am at a weight i am comfortable with, i have lost almost 12lbs of fat and put on muscle. Now the scale could go up 5lbs (or more) if i could just get the toning/muscles i wish for :) The scale is SO over rated!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    physique hands down. I never cared about the number on the scale. people see me and are surprised and shocked that I am over 300 lbs.
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    Physique fa sho! I haven't weighed myself in a long time :-)
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Physique .... Most definitely
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    physique, definitely. But if i had the physique i wanted, i'd definitely not weigh this much either
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    For me personally if we are talking about sexual appeal for example - physique always matters more.

2 reasons:
    1. I prefer the look
    2. It's instinct to be attracted to a fit mate.

I like knowing my partner can run up a mountain with me.

Yes- I want to run up a mountain!
  • slyder432
    slyder432 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    physique every single day of the week :bigsmile:

This^^^
  • samcee
    samcee Posts: 307
    Options
    Use to be about the number on the scale but now its Physique.
  • Caitlinhappymeal
    Caitlinhappymeal Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    both!! for example i like to be less than 140lb ideally 133lb, this is always at the forefront of my mind, it doesn’t matter if i workout or not i like my physique either way around this weight . however if i go above this weight i feel too big even if i have been working out and my physique looks good xx
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Body shape is definitely a huge part of it of course. This is why it is essential to take measurements too!
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    physique...I want to reach my goal weight BUT Ive seen some amazing changes without losing a pound, its frustrating but what can I do? The next few months Im going by my camera and the mirror, and I am noticing my clothes are getting baggy! Scales just piss me off, tape measures make me happy!:wink:
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    physique, definitely. But if i had the physique i wanted, i'd definitely not weigh this much either
    so right! Me too!
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I hear it ALL the time. People are so concerned about the scale weight, but want to look great. What's more important? Looking great DOESN'T always reflect a good number on the scale. In fact some people's bodies change completely while the scale doesn't even budge a pound.
    You can reach weight goal and still look and feel "soft" and "flabby". So what happens is you exercise and guess what? The weight goes up!!! So then you go through mental jumping jacks because you want to bring the weight back down, but of course that doesn't help the flabbiness you still have.

If you look great, people DON'T CARE how much you weigh. Only you do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Its hard to get out of the mindset of the "scale" but I'm there, I measure EVERY week when I weigh in, if I lose inches or I can see toning in my body, then I feel good about the week even if the scale doesn't go down or even sometimes if it fluctuates up. I think measuring is what keeps me not being discouraged by the scale. I mean lets face it, people look at the person first, it's not as if you have your scale number on your forehead. What seems like a hundred years ago, I lost a lot of weight, I worked out everyday, cardio and weights and I lost about 25 lbs and then my scale didn't move off of 160 I went from a size 16 to a 10 with my scale never budging. Nobody believed I was 160. But that was what changed my idea about the scale.
  • scythswife
    scythswife Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I would say for me that it is both. I want to lose the weight to get to a healthy ranges and lose some flab but am also doing strength training stuff to work on the muscles. I want to leave the plus size area and be able to shop normally. i have seen more of a change in weight than muscles so far and that is ok since I am feeling better and looking better. Due to a weird bruise I am off of cardio workouts and doing strength which is ok however I am limited being that I am at home and having to find things to do.