What's more important: Weight or Physique?

Options

Replies

• fordies
    fordies Posts: 14
    Options
    Weight is important for me right now due to me being above the weight I want to be at, however once I hit that weight then I will focus on physique which I know will increase my weight again due to muscle gain. After that I will then be looking at lowering my body fat % while maintaining muscle mass.
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    It's not about what's more noticeable to other people, it's about what's important to ME.

My defining moment in this journey was when we had a physical at my school and when we all started talking about our results I was ashamed to admit my weight out loud because it was the second highest in my class. I was never the one to fool myself, I already knew that I was overweight and I was also aware that everyone else could see it, but that moment completely broke me. That day I swore to myself that something like that would never happen again.

So yes, it's first and foremost about the number on the scale. I could look like Gisele freaking Bundchen, if I'm not comfortable with the number. It would still mean mean that there is, indeed, some weight left to lose.

(Disclaimer, before anyone jumps at my throat.
    My Gisele example is just a exaggerated figure of speech. I do realize that the right physique would most likely be paired with the right weight, all I'm trying to do is explain just how much weight matters to me.
    Even though I'm mainly focused on weight, I realize that it changes day-to-day and I do not have ONE particular number that's okay. Instead, I have set a range of 15 pounds, at any point of which I'd be okay with weighing that much.
    End disclaimer)
  • SurfinBird1981
    SurfinBird1981 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Physique every time! I have battled most of my adult like with my weight, I am 5ft 8 and when I weighed 140lbs I looked like crap and my legs were as thin as arms! I have weighed 154lbs and looked great, more toned and healthier. I am aiming for 154lbs this time around :-)
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Definitely physique. I'm at the point where I would start creeping into skinny fat territory if I were just concerning myself with scale weight.
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    The insecure fatty in me says weight :grumble: , but deep down I know it's physique :bigsmile:
  • becca_21
    becca_21 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Most people will say physique, because at the end of the day, it's all about how you look to yourself and others. However, depending on what your situation is, the number on the scale might carry more weight (ha). Some people who are severely overweight are probably more concerned with losing the weight to improve their health. It really just depends. Personally, I choose physique.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Physique - my actual weight has always been higher than people would guess, looking at me, and that's unlikely to change. The way I'm built, and my genetic propensity to muscle mean that the number on the scale is always going to be higher-than-average, so as long as I like what I see, and my body does what I ask it to without complaint, I'm not going to worry about that. I've set an initial goal weight which still gives me quite a way to go, and I have an idea of roughly where I'd like to end up, numerically, but I'm certainly not going to obsess about that number. If there's a number I AM interested in, it's the number on the tag in my clothes - to fit a small UK 14 (US10-ish), I will have to be slim and toned.
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Options
    Physique,
    Weight is only a guide,
    Once you start to train you soon know what healthy and unhealthy is, you know the difference.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly in no rush to get to my goal, and for me it's better to focus on one thing at once. It's important to me to know that I'm down to a healthy weight, before I start any form of weight training.
    Just a thought. Wouldn't it make more sense to get to a "healthy weight" and actually "be healthy" at the same time? If you reach the weight without being physically fit, then how healthy is the weight?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I wouldn't say muscles are the only measure of health.
    Of course not, but exercising with weights more than just affects your muscles. Your metabolism becomes more efficient, you build a stronger heart, you increase blood flow, you increase your immunity, etc. These are aspects of health also.

IDEA Fitness member

And surely ones also available without working on physique?

What can improving my physique do that working on eating right, getting the right nutrition, hydrating well and doing cardio can't? Other than (as has been said) a faster metabolism resulting in faster loss, which isn't something I'm bothered about?

You can lead a horse to water...that's for sure.

How about basic physical ability for one. Sure, you may not NEED to use it, but it makes every day tasks much easier, and less taxing on your body. How about the proven health and anti-aging benifits of naturally produced growth hormone that weight training stimulates (and cardio absolutely does NOT!)? How about the fact that your body isn't using a substantial portion of its own lean mass for an energy resource?

The list is long, and I could continue...but it's clear that you've no interest whatsoever in listening to it, so I'll stop right there.

'but it's clear that you've no interest whatsoever in listening to it'?

Then why would I have gone to the effort of asking? Really, there's no need to be so rude. I'm asking people to tell me the benefits of starting work on my physique now, rather than at a time when I'm closer to goal weight, so that I can consider whether or not I feel it's worth it.

I hope someone will bother to explain the benefits that I can't get from my current exercise. I'll take away the information about the growth hormone from your post, though, so thanks for that.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I started my mfp journey over a year ago, trying to lose 10 lbs for a family trip. I had lost 20 lbs before joining and went from 230+ to 210.

After about a year of dieting and exercise (but not much in terms of strength training), I had gotten into the 160s but was still not happy with my body composition.

Here's a picture from a trip in January of this year at 165 lbs:

efeca3be.jpg

I realized that I had lost a good amount of muscle chasing "the last 10 pounds". After the trip, I made to decision to commit to strength training and have been in the gym 4-6 times per week, alternating cardio and lifting heavy (for me!).

Here are my results so far:

42287b51.jpg

I'm actually heavier in the last picture, now weighing 170. I've noticed my best results from a consistent program and getting my butt into the gym & moving that weight! My plan now is to get back up to 175 before cycling back into fat-loss mode again.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Exactly! That's muscle for ya!
  • Amber50lbsDown
    Amber50lbsDown Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Physique for sure although I use weight as a guide. I know at this weight its not healthy and as I lose and gain muscle my physique will improve for sure.
    Thats why I have an estimate goal weight. I didnt set an exact number Im aiming for 125-130 but if I get to 135 and look and feel great I might stop there. We shall see.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly in no rush to get to my goal, and for me it's better to focus on one thing at once. It's important to me to know that I'm down to a healthy weight, before I start any form of weight training.
    Just a thought. Wouldn't it make more sense to get to a "healthy weight" and actually "be healthy" at the same time? If you reach the weight without being physically fit, then how healthy is the weight?

IDEA Fitness member

I wouldn't say muscles are the only measure of health.
    Of course not, but exercising with weights more than just affects your muscles. Your metabolism becomes more efficient, you build a stronger heart, you increase blood flow, you increase your immunity, etc. These are aspects of health also.

IDEA Fitness member

And surely ones also available without working on physique?

What can improving my physique do that working on eating right, getting the right nutrition, hydrating well and doing cardio can't? Other than (as has been said) a faster metabolism resulting in faster loss, which isn't something I'm bothered about?

You can lead a horse to water...that's for sure.

How about basic physical ability for one. Sure, you may not NEED to use it, but it makes every day tasks much easier, and less taxing on your body. How about the proven health and anti-aging benifits of naturally produced growth hormone that weight training stimulates (and cardio absolutely does NOT!)? How about the fact that your body isn't using a substantial portion of its own lean mass for an energy resource?

The list is long, and I could continue...but it's clear that you've no interest whatsoever in listening to it, so I'll stop right there.

'but it's clear that you've no interest whatsoever in listening to it'?

Then why would I have gone to the effort of asking? Really, there's no need to be so rude. I'm asking people to tell me the benefits of starting work on my physique now, rather than at a time when I'm closer to goal weight, so that I can consider whether or not I feel it's worth it.

I hope someone will bother to explain the benefits that I can't get from my current exercise. I'll take away the information about the growth hormone from your post, though, so thanks for that.

Building lean mass, otherwise known as muscle tissue, means that your body burns calories more efficiently. In the long run, that means you will lose weight more easily, and critically, keep it off more easily.

Lean mass also doesn't store various potentially-harmful hormones and chemicals in the same way that fat does, so an increase in lean mass and a commensurate decrease in non-lean mass may be protective against various diseases and illnesses that are related to excess fat.

Lean muscle mass also provides protection and support for your joints. Strength training can have a preventitive effect against various joint-issues.

On a purely visual level, a little strength training now (I use a five lb hand weight and a few body-weight exercises) will mean that as you lose weight, your physique will already be more in line to match up visually with your weight-related goals.

Why do you not want to do strength training? It needn't be a 'one-or-t'other' strength or cardio approach - both are good.
  • mdex
    mdex Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    100% physique.

The issue is it a lot more difficult having a good physique at a higher weight.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Physique.. Yea the number on the scale is great, but the fact I look good naked is even better!
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

Building lean mass, otherwise known as muscle tissue, means that your body burns calories more efficiently. In the long run, that means you will lose weight more easily, and critically, keep it off more easily.

Lean mass also doesn't store various potentially-harmful hormones and chemicals in the same way that fat does, so an increase in lean mass and a commensurate decrease in non-lean mass may be protective against various diseases and illnesses that are related to excess fat.

Lean muscle mass also provides protection and support for your joints. Strength training can have a preventitive effect against various joint-issues.

On a purely visual level, a little strength training now (I use a five lb hand weight and a few body-weight exercises) will mean that as you lose weight, your physique will already be more in line to match up visually with your weight-related goals.

Why do you not want to do strength training? It needn't be a 'one-or-t'other' strength or cardio approach - both are good.

Thanks for responding. I haven't wanted to do strength training as I'm focusing on reducing body fat (not necessarily adding muscle in its place for now), and getting to a healthy BMI as my goal. It's not that my 120lbs goal weight based on BMI is a final goal, but that it's the marker to show I'm at a 'healthy weight' which I feel is important.

I'm going to keep the weight off, that's not an issue, nor is the speed at which I lose, or the look. For me, it's about nutrition and health, with the focus being on a body that will last, not necessarily one that looks good. That's why, for now, I'm solely doing cardio - working on my heart and lungs.
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Physique. Since coming on here I've learned a lot about the body and honestly I wouldn't care if I went back up to the weight I started at as long as I wasn't flabby and had muscle to show for it.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Both are equally important for health and vanity. lol
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I was 305, and now I am down to a 291. I def look like I have lost more than that :) So screw you scale, kiss my @$$!
  • philengland
    philengland Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Weight is a measure while physique is a subjective opinion. People consider weight to be important as it often is the main measure of success in weight loss. But it's ultimately the subjective opinion that people will really consider to be important.