What's more important: Weight or Physique?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Great post Niner, for me physique is my number 1 priority. In fact I gained 2 pounds but lost an inch on my waist :smile:
    Yeah, I'm on a cut cycle and definition is coming in now, but my weight drop has only been a few pounds in 3-4 weeks.
    I weigh daily, but it's to give me an idea if I'm losing too fast.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I just had my appraisal yesterday. I'm getting closer and closer to goal having lost 31 kgs already.

I'm 60 kg now which is the same amount I weighed at my last appraisal on Febrary 4th. Fast forward 3 months to May and the scale didnt move I'm still bang on 60 kg yet I lost a further 2 cms off my waist and 1.5 cm off my hips. Biceps went down 2 cms too wooohoo and now I am starting to see some real definition there. Exciting times!
  • Kim55555
    Options
    Physique for SURE. I know what I want my body to LOOK like, but I have no idea what the # on the scale would be to reflect that.

Yeah me too! I have no idea either what number on the scale i'll end up. It would be nice to be in the 50's but as long as I look good and my measurements and body fat % keep going down then I dont care. I'm working on losing some fat in my mid section atm. I'll keep eating at a defecit and see where my body ends up.
  • Kim55555
    Options
    my scale has not moved a lot and even my measurements arent really changing, but my jeans have gone down two sizes, my stomach is a bit smaller and I have way more muscle,

This has happened to me too where the scale and measurements didnt move yet my clothes were getting looser! :)
  • PurpleCoookie
    PurpleCoookie Posts: 334
    Options
    Right now I'm more focus about weight, I'm 309 and working to get into the 299's. lol Once I get closer I'll worry about physique.
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    I started here because I wanted my weight to go down.
    I had 2 goals, one after one year, another one after 2 years, both were to lose 20 kgs, so in total 40 kgs.
    After 5 months in here, I started working out with a personal trainer and weight loss slowed down, but I started losing inches a lot faster. Needless to say, I didn't reach my first big goal of 20 kgs in one year, but I was happy to be able to shop in normal clothing sizes. During that last year, my end goal weight slowly became unimportant to me. Actually I don't have a real goal anymore, I just go on because I like working out with my personal trainer and I'm still on the overweight BMI, but I don't know where I am to stop. I still have that end goal weight number in my mind, but I'm not sure if I still want to reach it.
    I changed my mind during this process.
  • DerDude
    DerDude Posts: 170
    Options
    Physique!!!!
    If I had a better one, maybe look like a UFC Pro ;)
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    It's interesting because I started out with a number in mind... say, 120 lbs. I weighed around 120 from age 17 until I was 27 or 28, and my height is 5'7". I have a petite frame.

Now that I've started lifting weights things have changed. I've stayed at 130 now for months and months. The scale just does not move. And it's because all sorts of changes are going on in my body... glycogen, water, fat, muscle... hormonal fluctuations, etc.

Weight loss has now shifted to FAT loss. The scale no longer matters. Only the mirror.
  • africaa
    africaa Posts: 228
    Options
    Definitely PHYSIQUE !
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    for me it's weight.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Right now, weight is more important, but in the long run, physique is. I know that a lot of people say that BMI is a piece of crap measurement, but it's still important to me to be in the 'healthy weight' classification for my own motivation. Once I hit my goal weight (only 10 more pounds!), I'll still be almost at the max. healthy weight for BMI. However, at that point, if I lose more while I focus on toning, great, but if I stay the same weight but have a nice physique, that's great too.

7434194_1237.jpg

I was obese by the BMI when I took that picture, 5'7"...185lbs. No goal I have includes that ridiculous chart. I would literally be terrified to see what I looked like if I were in the 'healthy' range.

Physique all the way.
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    At the moment - getting the weight down is my first priority. It doesn't make much sense for me to worry about physique when I'm still carrying an extra 60 pounds of flab. But I plan to start working strength training and toning into my exercise routine fairly soon.
  • jaydubbayu
    jaydubbayu Posts: 456
    Options
    Weight for me.. I'm married so who cares? I figure lose the weight first, worry about the physique after that.
  • indiedoll
    indiedoll Posts: 31
    Options
    I suppose physique. I know what I want my body to look like, and what I want it to be able to do but I have no idea what weight that will put me at. I've selected a number but I'm more than willing to adjust it up or down, depending on how I look/feel as I get closer to my goals. So while my ticker says I'm aiming for 140, I'm more focused on having a strong, fit body, whether it's at 140, 120, or 160 or whatever number I feel good at. I used to love running (pre-injury) and that's mostly what I want to get back to, along with some strength training.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly in no rush to get to my goal, and for me it's better to focus on one thing at once. It's important to me to know that I'm down to a healthy weight, before I start any form of weight training.
    Just a thought. Wouldn't it make more sense to get to a "healthy weight" and actually "be healthy" at the same time? If you reach the weight without being physically fit, then how healthy is the weight?

IDEA Fitness member

I wouldn't say muscles are the only measure of health.
    Of course not, but exercising with weights more than just affects your muscles. Your metabolism becomes more efficient, you build a stronger heart, you increase blood flow, you increase your immunity, etc. These are aspects of health also.

IDEA Fitness member

And surely ones also available without working on physique?

What can improving my physique do that working on eating right, getting the right nutrition, hydrating well and doing cardio can't? Other than (as has been said) a faster metabolism resulting in faster loss, which isn't something I'm bothered about?
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly in no rush to get to my goal, and for me it's better to focus on one thing at once. It's important to me to know that I'm down to a healthy weight, before I start any form of weight training.
    Just a thought. Wouldn't it make more sense to get to a "healthy weight" and actually "be healthy" at the same time? If you reach the weight without being physically fit, then how healthy is the weight?

IDEA Fitness member

I wouldn't say muscles are the only measure of health.
    Of course not, but exercising with weights more than just affects your muscles. Your metabolism becomes more efficient, you build a stronger heart, you increase blood flow, you increase your immunity, etc. These are aspects of health also.

IDEA Fitness member

And surely ones also available without working on physique?

What can improving my physique do that working on eating right, getting the right nutrition, hydrating well and doing cardio can't? Other than (as has been said) a faster metabolism resulting in faster loss, which isn't something I'm bothered about?

You can lead a horse to water...that's for sure.

How about basic physical ability for one. Sure, you may not NEED to use it, but it makes every day tasks much easier, and less taxing on your body. How about the proven health and anti-aging benifits of naturally produced growth hormone that weight training stimulates (and cardio absolutely does NOT!)? How about the fact that your body isn't using a substantial portion of its own lean mass for an energy resource?

The list is long, and I could continue...but it's clear that you've no interest whatsoever in listening to it, so I'll stop right there.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Physique :-)
  • AmandaPandah
    AmandaPandah Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Physique, but the weight is a way to see that I'm actually making progress.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    PHYSIQUE DEFINITELY!
  • ThaRealNicki
    ThaRealNicki Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I need to get the number down! But im more concerned with how Ill look over the number. Even though I need the number to be much lower if I feel good with the way I look before goal weight ill stay but if at goal weight i still dont like the way i look ill lose more