Would you move for love?

Options
kaleas
kaleas Posts: 200
I need some insight. Before I make a silly choice. Or the best choice.

I just graduated college. I've got a decent resume, portfolio, and enough money saved to survive anywhere for two months.

I wanted to move when my lease was up in August no matter what. I just didn't know where to.

Enter a boy.

Now I know what you're thinking. You're 23 years old Lisa. You're an independent, beautiful woman with a great career path set out before you. Don't throw it away for some boy.

But just wait.

I've had my share of ****ty boy experiences. This one I have known since I was 12. We met online while playing a game, and met each other in person once when I was 13 and he was 16. He moved to North Carolina and we hadn't seen each other since then. Enter now.

I visited him last month for 2 days. It was incredible. So plans were made and he just got done visiting me the last 5 days. I've never meshed so well with one person. It wasn't just about physical attraction. It was the fact that everyone noticed we meshed like peanut butter and bananas. ketchup and macaroni. a company of thieves.

Of course the topic came up about well, why don't you try North Carolina on for size? Pennsylvania is great and all, but try the south.

The scary thing is. I really want to do it. Not just for him, but also because it's a push for me to leap. Otherwise I'm afraid I'll stay stagnant here and never move.

What are your opinions?

Replies

• ninaquelinda
    ninaquelinda Posts: 136
    Options
    Do it!
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    At 21 right after Uni, I moved from Australia to Sweden for the love of a Swedish backpacker. (after knowing him for only 6 months)

13 years and 2 kids later, I'm still here.

This was the only choice I could have made, even though it was the scarier, riskier one.

Meg
  • LAS_1980
    LAS_1980 Posts: 156
    Options
    Well if you can survive independently if you move there and you really want to move there, then move! I wouldn't move there with great intentions of marriage, etc just yet. You could always move, find a job, continue to see him (or maybe not) and just see what happens. If you think you'll be happy there regardless of the relationship with him then I'd say do it. :) Good luck
  • tdp2012
    tdp2012 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I say go for it!

"Follow your heart but take your brain with you."- one of my favorite quotes
  • SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    do it :) life's too short!
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Research cost of living, job market etc. Do not live with him. Date like normal people. All should be fine.
  • onequirkygirl
    onequirkygirl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Don't move for love.....move because North Carolina is better than Pennsylvania.
  • AmandaH04
    AmandaH04 Posts: 6
    Options
    I say...GO FOR IT!!! Don't move in with him though. Find your own place first and go for the adventure! You are young, go live life! So it's scary for some people because there is a boy involved? I say...life is an adventure, go live it! The boy (guy) is just a bonus! :0) Best Wishes!:smile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    I moved 2,000 miles for a man.*

If you have to do it, there is no better time than now - no job, you're young and free right now. You have the same 50%/50% chance that anyone does. You'll get advice both ways. It's your heart.

*Mine is now my ex-husband. I had to do it. I wouldn't do it again. But Pennsylvania? Yeah, NC has to be better! I was born in PA.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Move for love?

Yep.

All the way to another country - from Florida to Northern Canada.

And I haven't EVER regretted it! I admit, the weather here sucks, but my family life is so wonderful.
  • Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I did it. Ended up pregnant a month later. Here I am 4 years later and miserable. We knew each other for for 2 years before that. Got married when I was 23. Everything was just so rushed and now i'm kicking myself.
  • Le_Joy
    Le_Joy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Research cost of living, job market etc. Do not live with him. Date like normal people. All should be fine.

^^^^This.
  • Mufasa0331
    Mufasa0331 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I say do it... where in NC may I asked... I moved from Texas to Greensboro/Asheboro area for 2 years... it was a fun experience, just too slow paced for me...and I am afraid of what I refer to as the "Deer Mafia" that likes to take hits out on you in the wee hours when you are driving :)

If you know 100% in your heart that you are not doing it for him alone but for YOU- then i def say do it.. you may never get the opportunity again..
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    If there's nothing holding you back, what are you waiting for? I tend to be against moving for a boy if you're giving something up... but if there's nothing to give up, and you're looking for a fresh start and a new outlook - and it comes with the bonus (the boy), then why not? :) Good luck!
  • _hi_hat3r_
    _hi_hat3r_ Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Take a leap of faith.......DO IT!
  • jamierizzo
    jamierizzo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I say go for it!! If you don't, you may regret it later.
  • buckeye86
    buckeye86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    You have the ability to move. You want a change in your life anyway. I don't see why not. Even if it doesn't work with him, you'll have the experience of living somewhere new and making a big decision about your own life as an adult. Succeed or fail, you will learn a lot about yourself by making that leap.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    If you dont do it when your young, youll get planters root and never move, go for it!
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I did it and would do it again. Definitely have your own place for awhile but...I say yes :) Even if it doesn't work out, it's a great experience.
  • MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Go for it. :love: