Would you move for love?

Options

Replies

• jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    at 23, all the more reason to go! Just make sure you have money put aside if the relationship crumbles so you won't be stuck :sad:
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    yes,
  • Think_Shaolin
    Options
    All your answers are already inside you. Just do it. You already know what "it":ohwell: is
  • 8bitAlina
    8bitAlina Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Do it!! :)
  • TurnLeftNow
    TurnLeftNow Posts: 171
    Options
    I say go for it. You should take chances in life. It isn't about playing it safe because you don't know if things will work out. If you don't go, you might always wonder "what if?"

But mac 'n cheese and ketchup don't really mesh that well :P Also, 2 months living safely isn't very long at all.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I moved from New Zealand to Australia for love.

I've been here for 10yrs now, and we are still together and happily married.
  • enyo123
    enyo123 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I did move for love, and I was your age. I met my husband over the phone for some business stuff. I knew when he answered the phone that this was who I was going to marry. (Crazy, right?) By the end of the phone call, we'd exchanged personal numbers, and talked twice a day. I met him in person on spring break (still in university), and went home with an engagement ring. I finished out my semester of school, moved from Florida to British Columbia, and married him a few months later.

We've been together ten years now. In fact, it was ten years ago on May 3 that I moved in with him. :-) I'd say that it worked out pretty well, complete with a house, two dogs, and two kids.

So it'd be awfully hypocritical of me to tell you to absolutely not do it. :-) Good luck!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Honestly...what does our input have? You will make whatever decision you choose to.

That being said, live life. Take the chances on love, but remember to culture it and not set expectations. Respect one another for who you are as individuals. And always remember why you are in love.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    If you think you'll be happy there regardless of the relationship with him then I'd say do it. :) Good luck

Agree with this, don't do it unless you think you would/could be happy there without the guy in the picture.
  • sexyrosey
    sexyrosey Posts: 137
    Options
    Well if you can survive independently if you move there and you really want to move there, then move! I wouldn't move there with great intentions of marriage, etc just yet. You could always move, find a job, continue to see him (or maybe not) and just see what happens. If you think you'll be happy there regardless of the relationship with him then I'd say do it. :) Good luck

If there is nothing keeping where you are and have the money under control I say give it a shot. I would not have tons of hopes till you have been together for a while but look for jobs in both places. :heart:
  • BadGirlsLift
    Options
    When I was 22 I moved from a sparkling big city full of wonderful female friends 3000 miles away to a small town in the middle of nowhere in the north where it gets to -45 C in the winter with a boy I had met 6 months previously. No shopping, no girlfriends, like we're talking really really north.

For four months we lived in a cabin with no power or running water. At first it was hard, no lies.

I am 26 now. Sometimes I miss home and the city but over all I regret nothing. I love him with my everything and never feel like I made the wrong decision. It will be our 4 year anniversary in August.
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    DO IT!
    You want a fresh start anyway, so why not in Charlotte?!
    You seem to be really mature and wouldn't just move there for him, but I'm sure you'll find a great job there and can start a new chapter of your life, and maybe he'll be a part of it...

I moved from Germany to the US to live with my husband, I don't regret it at all :heart:
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    You have the ability to move. You want a change in your life anyway. I don't see why not. Even if it doesn't work with him, you'll have the experience of living somewhere new and making a big decision about your own life as an adult. Succeed or fail, you will learn a lot about yourself by making that leap.

This!!!

Do this while you are young and free, the worse thing that can happen is that it doesnt work out with the boy. There are parts of NC that are beautiful! I lived there for 8 years and met my husband there!
  • casendcq9
    casendcq9 Posts: 6
    Options
    As a guy who just did this, I say if you love him, do it.

One of the reasons I just moved 2,000 miles back east to be near the one I love is because I felt that I had to take my shot, you know? We had been doing stupid-long distance for the better part of a year, seeing each other once a month for two or three days. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

I love this woman with all that I am, and I know that she's the one I want to be with. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't....but at least I'll know that I took a shot, that I did everything that I could to make it work.

If you feel that same way, pull the trigger!
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    DO IT! But do it because it's a life experience, stand on your own two feet and date this guy for a while, you do not want to just jump right into living with him. When I turned 18 I married my husband and I have never lived on my own, I don't regret marrying him or having my three kids or anything but I do wish I had had time to be independent .
  • GreenTeaForDays
    GreenTeaForDays Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    (Jealous)

I left my bf for grad school and I'm constantly wishing I could go back.

I say, do it. I also think you shouldn't live together if you can avoid it.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Do it. I moved from Minnesota to Florida to be with a boy I had met in person twice. We talked every day but obviously it was long distance so I flew down to stay with him 2 different weekends before I decided to uproot myself and start over. We've been married for two years now.

If it doesn't work out you can always move back but you'll never know if you never try.
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I would do it, it is tough moving to a place not knowing anyone, I have done it (twice) it is tough at the beginning not knowing anyone (except your boyfriend), but you will meet people at work, the gym, clubs in no time and all will be ok! Enjoy your journey! I lived in PA for 15 years, wish I would have moved south sooner then I did......WV, then GA, now FL!
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Don't move for love.....move because North Carolina is better than Pennsylvania.

This. ;) Alright, maybe I'm not the best expert, but I do love me some southern hospitality.

I wouldn't advocate throwing everything away for anyone, but it sounds like you wanted to move anyway, you can start a career just as easily in SC as PA anyway, can't you? And this is just an additional push, incentive, and helpful decision maker, isn't it? It's almost trivializing it to say it's moving for love, you're moving because it sounds like SC is the right place for now...
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I would say go for it. It's best to experiment with changing scenery now that you are young and have educational assets, but always allow yourself room to fall back, or move around. Find your own place somewhere, so you have your own space. :)