• abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Awwwwww, y'all!

everything_went_better_than_expected.jpg
  • abberbabber
    Options
    So, here's my thing. I don't want a super toned/athletic looking body. I want to be a little soft, a little squishy. But...I don't want to be flabby and saggy. It seems like, around here, the options are toned and muscely (ha, not a word...y'all know what I mean) or flabby and saggy, even if you're "thin". I know that I won't necessarily "bulk up" like a man if I do weight training...but I see pics on here of the girls who "lift heavy" and although they look *awesome*, that's not really what I want to look like. It's just my personal preference.

I'm currently doing the 30 day shred and my Navy SEAL buddy has told me to do body weight exercises instead of lifting weights. Any other suggestions? I hope my explanation made sense...and that everyone will be polite when answering :flowerforyou:

Plyometrics.. All I'm going to say...

Ok...to teh googelz!
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    just a note: guys dont like super skinny girls dont aim for that

This is a flat out lie. Lots of men are attracted to different shapes, just because you have your preference doesn't mean it's the end all be all answer.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    So, here's my thing. I don't want a super toned/athletic looking body. I want to be a little soft, a little squishy. But...I don't want to be flabby and saggy. It seems like, around here, the options are toned and muscely (ha, not a word...y'all know what I mean) or flabby and saggy, even if you're "thin". I know that I won't necessarily "bulk up" like a man if I do weight training...but I see pics on here of the girls who "lift heavy" and although they look *awesome*, that's not really what I want to look like. It's just my personal preference.

I'm currently doing the 30 day shred and my Navy SEAL buddy has told me to do body weight exercises instead of lifting weights. Any other suggestions? I hope my explanation made sense...and that everyone will be polite when answering :flowerforyou:

Plyometrics.. All I'm going to say...

Ok...to teh googelz!

Plyometrics are bodyweight exercises. I listed a whole workout full of them last night :).
    just a note: guys dont like super skinny girls dont aim for that

This is a flat out lie. Lots of men are attracted to different shapes, just because you have your preference doesn't mean it's the end all be all answer.

Annnd here it comes. People taking offense where none was intended and totally derailing the rather rare for MFP quality of the thread. I know you weren't the first, but you're certainly the most aggressive. I think that most of the rest of us 'adults' in this thread, including the OP...know full well that men all have different tastes.

/sigh
  • abberbabber
    Options

Plyometrics are bodyweight exercises. I listed a whole workout full of them last night :).

I googled it...and Holy crap!
  • amatxuof5
    amatxuof5 Posts: 40
    Options
    It is impossible to choose where you lose fat from. For me, I lose it first in my boobs and my tummy, but also my butt. Fortunately, I like being toned. In order to get the body you desire, you have to have a certain body type to begin with.

So true. I want a really toned body, but not big muscles. And I'd like thin arms. I can't have that - I'm only 5 feet tall and I have short "stubby" arms and short "stubby" legs that unfortunately carry fat and flab, no matter how much I work out. I wear a size 6. I look pretty good in clothes - but ewwww, not without them :-) Wish I had a different body type (and a tummy that hadn't birthed 3 kids!), but I don't. I think it's great that you want to be a little squishy, and I wouldn't worry about getting overtoned - you will know when enough is enough. I would suggest a trainer at the gym - they listen to what you want to do and help you get there. They are good to use for just a while to help you figure things out and then you can do it all on your own.:smile:
  • abberbabber
    Options
    It is impossible to choose where you lose fat from. For me, I lose it first in my boobs and my tummy, but also my butt. Fortunately, I like being toned. In order to get the body you desire, you have to have a certain body type to begin with.

So true. I want a really toned body, but not big muscles. And I'd like thin arms. I can't have that - I'm only 5 feet tall and I have short "stubby" arms and short "stubby" legs that unfortunately carry fat and flab, no matter how much I work out. I wear a size 6. I look pretty good in clothes - but ewwww, not without them :-) Wish I had a different body type (and a tummy that hadn't birthed 3 kids!), but I don't. I think it's great that you want to be a little squishy, and I wouldn't worry about getting overtoned - you will know when enough is enough. I would suggest a trainer at the gym - they listen to what you want to do and help you get there. They are good to use for just a while to help you figure things out and then you can do it all on your own.:smile:

I might look into a trainer. I know my aunt and cousin have a guy they use that they seem to like. Thanks!
  • crisanderson27
    Options

I might look into a trainer. I know my aunt and cousin have a guy they use that they seem to like. Thanks!

The problem with personal trainers is that it's much like Russian roulette. You never know what you're going to get...and 90% of them are VERY convincing that their way is the only proper way. Usually it's that 90% that you want to avoid like the plague too. I have an MFP friend that lives local to me. She was telling me a story the other day about her experiences with her personal trainer, and his manager. Before she joined her gym, she told them she wanted to lift heavy, and learn to use the freeweights. They said 'Excellent goal!! We can do that!' She signed...began her program...and two weeks into it, she'd been doing almost no upper body work, tons of cardio, and almost entirely low weight/high reps on machines. She kept asking her trainer when they were going to lift heavy. He would always derail her, avoiding the question. Finally...she stopped completely, turned to him, and asked him point blank.

'When are we going to lift heavy, when am I going to learn to use freeweights, and WHY have I done no upper body work?!'

His response was 'Look. The freeweight section isn't beneficial to women, nor is heavy lifting. You need high reps and low weight to tone. You don't want to bulk up do you??'.

She immediately walked away to find the manager and try to get her trainer switched (along with her money back). The manager straight up told her that the freeweight section was for men, or women who wanted to bulk like men. She ended up having to go to the general manager...and may end up having to leave the gym completely because they're pretty much refusing to train her in the way she wants to train. I told her if she really needs a personal trainer, find one who is willing to simply help her with her form while she does Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength. Other than that...most of them are going to tell her the same exact thing.

This is NOT, what you want.

MFP is very progressive in that there's a large population of women who've come to realize the benefits of heavy strength training, and the fact that women don't have the genetic ability to 'bulk' like a man on their own. It requires hormones in your body that you simply don't have enough of in order to do so. Most of your gyms, and personal trainers even...are still in the dark ages regarding this fact, which is a surprise...because the ones that have women that ARE bulking...pretty much know they're on testosterone supplements, and or taking steroids.

Anyways, sorry for the long winded rant about trainers here. There ARE good ones out there...but the chances of finding them are slim.
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Still happy to see this thread hasn't completely derailed! Great advice from you that are already looking amazing (Yes I do have a huge crush on crisanderson's back and shock_wave's arms :wink: ), and lots of inspiration for those of us who are still contemplating our ideal bodies and how we want to get there. Thanks to the ladies that weighed in too - definitely inspiration.
    I, for one, am excited about the idea of starting to work with weights. Not quite sure if my motivation is my body, or appreciating/ogling the men in the weightroom though... ha ha
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Still happy to see this thread hasn't completely derailed! Great advice from you that are already looking amazing (Yes I do have a huge crush on crisanderson's back and shock_wave's arms :wink: ), and lots of inspiration for those of us who are still contemplating our ideal bodies and how we want to get there. Thanks to the ladies that weighed in too - definitely inspiration.
    I, for one, am excited about the idea of starting to work with weights. Not quite sure if my motivation is my body, or appreciating/ogling the men in the weightroom though... ha ha

:blushing:

Whatever the motivation lol...go with it!

And remember, 90% of those men will give you respect for stepping up, and help you out in any way you ask. There's no reason to be intimidated by the freeweight section.
  • abberbabber
    Options

The problem with personal trainers is that it's much like Russian roulette. You never know what you're going to get...and 90% of them are VERY convincing that their way is the only proper way. Usually it's that 90% that you want to avoid like the plague too. I have an MFP friend that lives local to me. She was telling me a story the other day about her experiences with her personal trainer, and his manager. Before she joined her gym, she told them she wanted to lift heavy, and learn to use the freeweights. They said 'Excellent goal!! We can do that!' She signed...began her program...and two weeks into it, she'd been doing almost no upper body work, tons of cardio, and almost entirely low weight/high reps on machines. She kept asking her trainer when they were going to lift heavy. He would always derail her, avoiding the question. Finally...she stopped completely, turned to him, and asked him point blank.

'When are we going to lift heavy, when am I going to learn to use freeweights, and WHY have I done no upper body work?!'

His response was 'Look. The freeweight section isn't beneficial to women, nor is heavy lifting. You need high reps and low weight to tone. You don't want to bulk up do you??'.

She immediately walked away to find the manager and try to get her trainer switched (along with her money back). The manager straight up told her that the freeweight section was for men, or women who wanted to bulk like men. She ended up having to go to the general manager...and may end up having to leave the gym completely because they're pretty much refusing to train her in the way she wants to train. I told her if she really needs a personal trainer, find one who is willing to simply help her with her form while she does Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength. Other than that...most of them are going to tell her the same exact thing.

This is NOT, what you want.

MFP is very progressive in that there's a large population of women who've come to realize the benefits of heavy strength training, and the fact that women don't have the genetic ability to 'bulk' like a man on their own. It requires hormones in your body that you simply don't have enough of in order to do so. Most of your gyms, and personal trainers even...are still in the dark ages regarding this fact, which is a surprise...because the ones that have women that ARE bulking...pretty much know they're on testosterone supplements, and or taking steroids.

Anyways, sorry for the long winded rant about trainers here. There ARE good ones out there...but the chances of finding them are slim.

No need to apologize, it's good information to have!
  • abberbabber
    Options

:blushing:

Whatever the motivation lol...go with it!

And remember, 90% of those men will give you respect for stepping up, and help you out in any way you ask. There's no reason to be intimidated by the freeweight section.

I think that's part of my problem...I don't know what I'm doing with weights and, in new situations/with new people, I'm *incredibly* shy. The idea of talking to someone I've never met literally makes me sick to my stomach. So I work out at home, but I don't want to do weights at home because I don't know the proper form and I don't want to hurt myself.

And, again...it seems boring, so I don't want to invest a lot of money in weights just to get bored with it lol. So at least for now I think I'll stick to bodyweight exercises. I've seen results with the 30DS so far, so I know that works.
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options

I think that's part of my problem...I don't know what I'm doing with weights and, in new situations/with new people, I'm *incredibly* shy. The idea of talking to someone I've never met literally makes me sick to my stomach. So I work out at home, but I don't want to do weights at home because I don't know the proper form and I don't want to hurt myself.

Too bad we live 4,280 kms apart! I couldn't be less shy. :smile: A trainer might not be a bad idea for a session or two - and some gyms or rec centres have intro training sessions - they give you an intro to the area and provide advice on form and different exercises for you to do. Do you have a friend with some knowledge that could at least watch/correct your form at home even?
  • abberbabber
    Options

Too bad we live 4,280 kms apart! I couldn't be less shy. :smile: A trainer might not be a bad idea for a session or two - and some gyms or rec centres have intro training sessions - they give you an intro to the area and provide advice on form and different exercises for you to do. Do you have a friend with some knowledge that could at least watch/correct your form at home even?

Hmmm, I can't think of anyone off the top of my head. But it's something to think about, at least. :smile:

For now...I have a date with Jillian, and then some text books (it's finals week and I have a ten page paper due Monday lol). Talk to y'all later!
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options

I agree with this^. There are all types of trainers that specialize in different areas of exercise and like you would with anyone you want to hire make sure you interview them first to see if they can teach you what you want(proper forms) and be specific. Keep an open mind and learn some thing new and you might find some thing exciting you like while keeping your mind and muscles stimulated. Then you can take that knowledge and if you still enjoy working out at home you can with more information/ammo to play around with.
  • Shock_Wave
    Options
    okay, guys - it's fine to say that YOU are not attracted to "super skinny girls", but you really shouldn't generalize and assume that no guy is attracted to someone who is built thin. some girls are naturally small, or "super skinny", and disparaging them is as bad as saying similar things about heavier girls.

i realize this site is predominantly used for weight loss, but keep in mind that some people may be using it to keep healthy without the intention of actually losing weight. and keep in mind that some of these people might be "super skinny".

ps. i'm not one of those people, before you assume so. but they're around, so be respectful.

THIS! I'm sick of seeing remarks like 'Ugh, skinny girls are disgusting' plastered around the forums. It's pretty offensive to girls that are naturally very thin and don't have much in the way of curves. I do consider myself to have boobs and hips, by the way, so this isn't even the rant of an embittered thin woman. It would be like the women on here saying 'Oh guys, just be aware that women only like huge muscles'. It's a sweeping generalisation of what people are attracted to and it's not true to everyone.

Plus, it suggests women are losing weight or working on their bodies just to get a man. Simply not true. Some women aren't even attracted to men for one. Most of us are here for health and fitness reasons. It really pisses me off when I see things like 'Don't get too thin or the boys won't like you!' posted on here.

I don't know why that guy would say that but what I do know is that when I read this and looked over at your profile picture I imagine you are really sexy when you get mad/rant! lol :love:

Edit: uhh just tryed to lighten things up around here is all. :p
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options

Annnd here it comes. People taking offense where none was intended and totally derailing the rather rare for MFP quality of the thread. I know you weren't the first, but you're certainly the most aggressive. I think that most of the rest of us 'adults' in this thread, including the OP...know full well that men all have different tastes.

/sigh
    [/quote]

I find it slightly humorous that you claim no offence was intended yet it's kind of an insult to anyone who is skinny, but whatever. I'm clearly not "adult" enough to understand that.
  • Shock_Wave
    Options
    ^^^Ahh hell lady why don't you take it up with creature275 in his PM since he is the one that said it and I do not think he has even replied any thing further meaning he is no longer here to see your rant.
    Let this thread continue to be productive, please.
  • abberbabber
    Options
    I hope some of the men here won't mind my saying that they look absolutely bangin' in their profile pics...arms and chests and backs, oh my! :love:
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options
    I hope some of the men here won't mind my saying that they look absolutely bangin' in their profile pics...arms and chests and backs, oh my! :love:

I was just going to say that about Mr. Shock_Wave. Holy balls.