why do people LOCK their diary?

Options

Replies

• zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends I think, but if I ever started getting a lot of judgmental comments I'd probably lock it too lol
  • numindan
    numindan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Can't speak for anyone else, but per my note in my profile, mine's locked for the following reason:

My food diary is closed and likely will always remain so. I have celiac disease and severe nut allergies so I find it frustrating when others (who can safely eat most foods) try to provide well meaning advice on what I'm eating. If you're not my gastroenterologist, I'm not going to take food advice from you... ergo, the closed diary.

Also, I'm not really curious as to what other's are eating so I don't go poking about in other's diaries. I'd rather provide support based on friend's wall posts or via the forums. *shrug*
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    i eat crap...my success is that I do it within my calorie limits...if I eat too much crap I work it off. Recently, I opened just to friends, bc well, they understand me and will give me spankings when appropriate....
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I've never had criticism, and if I did, I'd either say, "I know, but I like Cheesecake". Or, I'd say, F--- off and mind your own business A-Hole. But, I thought about it and thought, who cares? So, mine is open.

Most people look and tell me that I eat awesome yummy food.
  • fitnessyeoja
    fitnessyeoja Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    My reason >>> It was open until a nasty, arrogant, pretentious, ugly person (a new pal for a couple minutes) reviewed a couple days of my diary (I was struggling that particular week) and put me down for my poor diary and said she would be defriending now (after only a few minutes). She claimed she had her act together and when I get my act together I would be welcome to friend her again. NO THANKS.

Each person has his/her own experience and journey. Making assumptions and passing judgment has no place on a site like this. We have all made our share of mistakes and this is part of the reason why we are all here.

If you would like to know what's in a person's diary you could send a private message. If he/she wants to share, it will be shared.
  • saraht131
    saraht131 Posts: 86
    Options
    My reason >>> It was open until a nasty, arrogant, pretentious, ugly person (a new pal for a couple minutes) reviewed a couple days of my diary (I was struggling that particular week) and put me down for my poor diary and said she would be defriending now (after only a few minutes). She claimed she had her act together and when I get my act together I would be welcome to friend her again. NO THANKS.

Each person has his/her own experience and journey. Making assumptions and passing judgment has no place on a site like this. We have all made our share of mistakes and this is part of the reason why we are all here.

If you would like to know what's in a person's diary you could send a private message. If he/she wants to share, it will be shared.

Sorry you had such a bad experience - what an arsehole.

My diary is open to friends only because I like to know who is looking. I also like to look at other peoples' diaries because I can get tips or inspiration from them. If someone gave me their opinions on what I eat, I'd welcome them. Unless they were rude or arrogant and then I'd just tell them to piss off. You need a thick skin with imaginary internet people.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    i eat crap...
    (hands you a mint)
  • Hedgiemum
    Hedgiemum Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open but can understand why people lock them! I had to remove several friends whom I'd become close to and had supported after they started making snidey remarks about my diary if I'd logged having a glass of wine or two!!! It made me feel really low :cry:
  • MaxwellsDemon
    Options
    I guess it's because people are doing this for themselves, not for you!

Many people have an open diary because they like the accountability that brings, others like to share what they eat, others like to keep it private so they can be completely honest with logging without feeling as though they are going to be judged.

Just look out for people who look similar to you and see if their diary is open. With so many members, you are bound to find a bunch of people who are a good match for you. And if someone's diary isn't open but you like the look of their profile, why not send them a message and ask if they are happy to share?

I totally agree with you! It describes my reasons for my 'friends only' diary.
  • MaxwellsDemon
    Options
    I keep mine open but can understand why people lock them! I had to remove several friends whom I'd become close to and had supported after they started making snidey remarks about my diary if I'd logged having a glass of wine or two!!! It made me feel really low :cry:

People can be so rude... I'm sorry that happened to you.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I had people criticizing what I was eating even though I was staying well within my calorie goals and having success. I realized that their intentions were good, but you know what they say about good intentions. It was getting rather frustrating so I locked it on up.

I'm not here for advice or people's opinion on my plan, especially when it's working. I'm here for support, and encouragement....fellow sufferers, if you will, because let's face it, losing weight is a pain in the a__.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    I keep mine friends only so I have control over who sees it. My diary is my business and unless I am looking for feedback on what I eat, I'll keep it that way. That's just how I feel...

There you go, you nailed it!!!
  • suzqmf
    suzqmf Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't know and don't understand either...didn't everyone join here to get the support?

But regardless, I just like to look at other people's diaries for ideas on WHAT to eat. I never even notice how much they're eating, or if they're within their calories. I just want ideas. To expand my offerings. I'm horrible at coming up with new recipes or ideas for lunch or breakfast...my hardest two meals!
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    i eat crap...
    (hands you a mint)

thanks....should I log it?
  • KenishaFitness
    KenishaFitness Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I lock my diary because, I don't like when people judge me on what I'm currently eating and or how I am exercising. I don't mind showing but when I had my other page, I got many negative comments it go so annoying and since I was a beginner I didn't know how to lock my diary so I just deleted the whole page because I got so tired of it.
  • ebenso1
    ebenso1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    When I decided to lose weight, I knew I had to be accountable with everything. I hid far too long...and hiding for me never worked....I could dissappear and start eating again and no one would noticed or care...LOL like who was I fooling...they wouldnt noticed.... people seen me and my size ...just never said anything.....to me.

I really dont care who sees my diary.... what I eat and how I eat works for me..and anyone can comment all they like. I take all critic... through it all we learn...sometimes good...sometimes naught but this journey is in the learning...and I am all for it. That being said...if what I do or what I have learned can benefit someone else...all is good.

There are all kinds of people with different ideas and ways to do....it's what makes the world go round....makes life interesting.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    My diary is always open and yes I eat crappy food once in a while. But I will eat like that once I am down to where I want to be.

You know, it is nice to get ideas and everything from other peoples' diaries, but what works for them may not work for you. You need to get to know YOUR body - its metabolism, how it handles certain foods, etc. I can't eat wheat without it sticky to my abdominal region, but someone else may be able to. I'm gluten-free and they won't be. If someone is lifting weights, they may eat more calories than you should eat, especially in the protein department. So don't take the cheater's way and just follow someone else's diet, because that may leave you frustrated. Get to know your body, develop your plan around what you know and like, and then tweak it until it works for you.
  • ebenso1
    ebenso1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to the person with the 385 lb weight loss! That is phenomenal! I would be curious to see some before and after pics!
  • dis5150
    dis5150 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    Options
    I don't like being judged for what i eat, i have a day off every now and again and have had people telling me i shouldn't eat this and that ... that person was deleted of course because it was none of their business, i don't like being told off when i'm doing things my way. I'm aware of what I eat but when somebody tells you you shouldn't eat so many carbs a day(mines set to 200 ) i get annoyed for being judged! theres carbs in fruit and veg, you can't avoid them that much really! my diary is available to my friends however and i do take some friendly advice but i don't eat that bad, i try and stick to my goals but yes i will go over on fat sometimes.... i exercise 5 days a week so i can go over sometimes!

sorry a little rant !