why do people LOCK their diary?

Options
123457»

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Because I have personal notes that I make in the exercise notes and food notes section that no one else needs to see. Another poster on a similar thread summed it up well. She's a diabetic and shares her diary with her nutritionalist only to help manage her diabetes. There are also people on here with food allergies and have very restricted diets. Or people recovering from ED. So another words it's no one's business. I don't need a random stranger commenting on my diary on what he or she thinks I should eat or not have eaten. They're not qualified and it's none of there business.
  • manda1002
    manda1002 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I don't know and don't understand either...didn't everyone join here to get the support?

But regardless, I just like to look at other people's diaries for ideas on WHAT to eat. I never even notice how much they're eating, or if they're within their calories. I just want ideas. To expand my offerings. I'm horrible at coming up with new recipes or ideas for lunch or breakfast...my hardest two meals!

Not everyone joined here to get support. For the most part, people who join with the phone app don't realize that it's more than just a calorie counting tool. It was a few months before I actually logged onto MFP on my computer and realized that there was a whole community here. And support is just a bonus.
  • dis5150
    dis5150 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Becuase they are afraid that everyone will see that they eat cheesecake and twinkies everyday.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Lol :)
  • lizziebeth1028
    Options
    And you can support, motivate, inspire or even commiserate with your friends just fine WITHOUT seeing what they eating!
  • Pururin
    Pururin Posts: 16
    Options
    Mine is locked because I'm doing this for myself, not other people. It's nice that some people don't have theirs locked so that I can get ideas, but I don't eat clean and if I wanted a guilt trip about what I eat I'd talk to my mother more often.
  • lizziebeth1028
    Options
    I don't know and don't understand either...didn't everyone join here to get the support?

But regardless, I just like to look at other people's diaries for ideas on WHAT to eat. I never even notice how much they're eating, or if they're within their calories. I just want ideas. To expand my offerings. I'm horrible at coming up with new recipes or ideas for lunch or breakfast...my hardest two meals!

Not everyone joined here to get support. For the most part, people who join with the phone app don't realize that it's more than just a calorie counting tool. It was a few months before I actually logged onto MFP on my computer and realized that there was a whole community here. And support is just a bonus.

This is so true!!!! I sign up with my phone app too and didn't realize it was a community. I was just interested in the calorie counter. Once I did log on and see the full scope of it I do love it. I have a nice group of friends! But once again....I don't need to see their diaries to support them!
  • lizziebeth1028
    Options
    Can't speak for anyone else, but per my note in my profile, mine's locked for the following reason:

My food diary is closed and likely will always remain so. I have celiac disease and severe nut allergies so I find it frustrating when others (who can safely eat most foods) try to provide well meaning advice on what I'm eating. If you're not my gastroenterologist, I'm not going to take food advice from you... ergo, the closed diary.

Also, I'm not really curious as to what other's are eating so I don't go poking about in other's diaries. I'd rather provide support based on friend's wall posts or via the forums. *shrug*

^^^^ Yes! Thank you for posting this. I posted something similar myself. Some people have very personal reasons why the eat the way they do and they don't need someone commenting on their diary without knowing all the facts!!!!
  • germ881
    germ881 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

No, I joined because I thought it would be a great way to track my calories and assess how I was eating. I didn't start reading the forums until later and found that it can be a great resource of information when needed. And entertainment lol.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Three main reasons:
    1)Because some people on here are like the annoying little brother, they only want to read your diary to be nosy and then use it against you, posting negative comments, using it in negative postings on here,etc.
    2) No other person helped me get fat, I did that on my own, therefore I only need to be accountable to ME to take the weight off. If you see something in my profile and want my help then ask. If I want help from people on here, I will ask
    3) its my diary, if I want it locked, I'll lock it.
  • Tink_889
    Tink_889 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm really scared of being judged, even if people's comments are well-meaning. I'm quite sensitive and even though I'm usually under calorie, my food choices aren't what I would think are seen as perfect and yeah, I don't think I could handle people's comments.
  • nphillips0124
    Options
    I don't like people seeting what I eat because if I don't eat entirely healthy for the day I feel like I failed... and failed publically. Which leads to me not logging everything.

It makes me a little annoyed that people take this as being unfriendly or antisocial.
  • calalily77
    calalily77 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Mine is open. I don't really care what other people say about it but i do appreciate constructive criticism. I am new at this and i tend to eat the same things all the time. It is sometimes nice to get kind advice from others that would help me on my journey. I also like to see other diaries just for ideas. i couldn't care less if they over ate or whatnot. That's not my place to judge.
  • ribena1958
    ribena1958 Posts: 152
    Options
    Well I had someone message me to say that I wouldn't loose weight as I eat a lot and use most of my calories, guess what............I lost 6lb last week.

I've been loosing weight now for over 2 yrs [see ticker to how much] I am NO EXPERT, but I do know that eating less of what you should have makes your body go into starvation mode.

This ladies quote

That would mind eff me a little and my brain would go "yeah! tomorrow! eat a lot less. your friends like it, and you'll lose weight faster" and I can't do that. That's wrong. So I locked it.

unquote

Those people who are congratulation each other for eating a lot less than what they should are the same ones moaning that they have only lost 1/2 or put on or STS. I am not saying eating all your calories will defo make you loose regular, but NOT eating them won't.

My diary is open, I don't care what people say, because its working for me and I eat healthy, and I eat treats, and I am loosing.

If my diary helps someone else my size, then I am happy, if its to do on and judge, then judge away, I like peoples comments, I learn a lot. But only if they are not looking to put others down. Everyone is trying their best x

edited to say, sometimes our food choices are not healthy, so what.........we are human and lapse sometimes.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options

I totally agree with this. It seems counterintuitive. haha