Ladies, TOM products and exercise? Possible TMI.

Options

Replies

• natachan
    natachan Posts: 149
    Options
    First, if you are cramping a banana or two a day will fix that. Yes, I'm serious. I have knock-me-to-the-floor cramps that leave me in fetal position on the bed crying. Two bananas a day and I only feel a slight twinge. And I mean SLIGHT, didn't bother me at all.

And to the leakage, I use a tampon plus a pad on black boy shorts using dark color jeans. Usually the tampon + pad do the trick, but I like to be safe.
  • CollisionofNova
    Options
    Off topic but relevant to the diva cup people in this thread:

How many of you have used your diva cup longer than one year? When I first got mine at 16, they said they could last five years. Now their website says to buy a new one every year. I'm...still on my first, because it's still the same as when I first got it seven years ago. Should I abide by the good old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule? I am cleaning it well, etc.
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    This is the first time I have ever heard of a Diva Cup! I am so excited! I am going to look for these ASAP!
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Hello lovely fitness ladies! I have a question, it's a bit icky but I just have to see if someone has the same problem and/or a solution.

I've been working out during TOM even though I get killer cramps. The problem I've been having is actually which, uh, products to use. I can't exercise in pads because it's way too uncomfortable. But am I the only one who finds that tampons don't always, erm, "do their job" during exercise?

I'll go to shower after a good workout and see that my underwear are totally stained... ugh. I'm tired of exercising during TOM meaning that I have to hand-scrub my underwear every day. It's gross, it's time consuming, and I'm lazy.

Does anyone else have this problem? Have you found a specific brand that works better than others for exercise? Please do share.

Use a liner along with your tampon if you aren't already. Also, have you considered using a larger tampon than you're using. For instance, maybe if you're using a regular perhaps upgrade to a super? I've noticed in the past when I was having my full out period (now I don't because of my BC) my flow would increase during exertion of any sort (working out). I use to have to wear a super along with a pad, it sucked. The other option, do what I did, switch to BC to lighten your flow and decrease cramping (in my experience it was eliminate cramping).
  • shirsch52
    shirsch52 Posts: 19
    Options
    Tampon + Panty Liner

I have tried those cup type things (not Diva Cup but Instead) and I can't seem to get them positioned right, they seem huge to me, lol. I think though that they would be great if I could figure it out. Alas, for now a tampon and panty liner work just fine!
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Tampon + Panty Liner

I have tried those cup type things (not Diva Cup but Instead) and I can't seem to get them positioned right, they seem huge to me, lol. I think though that they would be great if I could figure it out. Alas, for now a tampon and panty liner work just fine!
    I thought it was just me. I tried the instead softcups and could barely get the thing in!
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Forgive my ignorance, but can one use two tampons at once, and maybe tie the strings together?

Sure if you don't mind toxic shock

Why would 2 tampons give you toxic shock?

They wouldn't leaving them in too long will.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Off topic but relevant to the diva cup people in this thread:

How many of you have used your diva cup longer than one year? When I first got mine at 16, they said they could last five years. Now their website says to buy a new one every year. I'm...still on my first, because it's still the same as when I first got it seven years ago. Should I abide by the good old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule? I am cleaning it well, etc.

I use the Mooncup. Basically the same, I imagine. Mine said replace after two years - I've been using it for five. I do clean mine well, of course, but I think it's more natural degradation they're protecting against. Mine has started to feel a little weaker, which may just be my imagination because I'm expecting it (and have been since year 2), but I don't intend to replace it until it seems to stop working.

They're not hard to clean effectively, so I don't think that's the issue.
  • Aleara2012
    Aleara2012 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Tampon + Panty Liner

I thought it was just me. I tried the instead softcups and could barely get the thing in!

I use a Meluna, not sure how it is with the other brands but I am sure they also have different sizes. It does take some time to learn how to "(fold and) insert them, but so do tampons.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I just use pads lol. I always get way more crampy if I try to use a tampon (I don't know what I am doing wrong there) But I exercised during this TOM for the first in forever and just used a thin pad from always.

You're not likely doing anything wrong. It may be the bleach that is used to make the cotton white. Some women find that switching over to non-bleached tampon or pads help with cramping, or you can also try cloth pads.
  • veganbaum
    Options
    Tampon + Panty Liner

I think (not sure) that the Softcups are placed differently. Aren't they kind of placed like a diaphragm? The Diva cups, or Moon cups, are not placed up that high, they stay in the canal.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I just use pads lol. I always get way more crampy if I try to use a tampon (I don't know what I am doing wrong there) But I exercised during this TOM for the first in forever and just used a thin pad from always.

You're not likely doing anything wrong. It may be the bleach that is used to make the cotton white. Some women find that switching over to non-bleached tampon or pads help with cramping, or you can also try cloth pads.

^^This. Certain tampons give me *horrendous* cramps (like, crying on the couch and unable to move) kinda cramps. I still get twinges now, but not nearly as bad...also, I try to switch off wearing pads and tampons. That's seemed to help a lot, too :)
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    The main reason I moved to the Diva cup was because of the mould that has been found on tampons and ya I'm not cool with that so I switched.
  • wofford16
    wofford16 Posts: 63
    Options
    ***Sorry for TMI*** I am one of those people who have excessive uterine lining, will this clog up the Diva Cup and make me leak? This is the main reason why I have to double up with a tampon and pad my first few days because the lining being disposed from my body.
  • veganbaum
    Options
    ***Sorry for TMI*** I am one of those people who have excessive uterine lining, will this clog up the Diva Cup and make me leak? This is the main reason why I have to double up with a tampon and pad my first few days because the lining being disposed from my body.

It would likely mean you would just have to empty it more often. Here's some info:

http://lunapads.com/tips-and-advice/divacup-overview
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    First, if you are cramping a banana or two a day will fix that.
    Do you use that before or after the tampon, and do you tie the tampon to it?
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    First, if you are cramping a banana or two a day will fix that.
    Do you use that before or after the tampon, and do you tie the tampon to it?
    I saw this in Tijuana years ago...
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid of even googling that Diva Cup to see what it is lol First time I hear of it.

I'd super size the tampon and wear a pantyliner like others have suggested.

I'm with you ^^. LOL.
    I did google it though, just in case anyone wants to know: http://www.divacup.com/
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Diva cup! I've used one for years and haven't had an issue.

this! oh my gosh.... i can't believe more women don't use them! (if you have to, google it....)
  • dis5150
    dis5150 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I use Instead soft cups. They fit differently than the Diva. The first few cycles were super messy (sorry TMI!) but it was SO much better than tampons it was worth it. Now I LOVE them. After day 2 I don't even feel like it is my TOM. And I wash and reuse the same one for one cycle. Not as environementally friendly as the Diva, but better than tampons or pads! One box lasts more than a year! I sooo with I had heard of them years ago!!