Sports Bra at the gym - appropriate or not?

Options

Replies

• NancyNiles
    NancyNiles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I just bought some sports bras last night... there are definitely two different types.

The kind meant to be worn as underwear (thin, hides nothing, eye-protection only) and the kind that are meant to be worn as a top (spandex or some thicker material, holds it all together well... no visible nips!)

Honestly, I wouldn't want to see me at the gym wearing the first one. It's like a train wreck... you don't wanna look, but its too horrifying not to!
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'd wear one because I have the same reaction probably lots of people have.. "show off". I mostly feel that way because it is the skinny girls that wear them. You can especially tell when you go to the women's only section of a gym and most are in the baggy sweats but enter the co-ed section and it is just a bunch of girls with hardly anything on but make-up.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Girl if you're toned or buff, sport it.

If not cover that *kitten* up. Seriously, I have not and will not ever get to sport just the sports bra look. I give other people the courtesy of covering up. I ask that they do the same. Love yourself at home in your house for your eyes only.

:grumble:

edit- a sports bra under workout clothes is also must. No matter who you are.

Unbelievable!!! This is so wrong!! So you're saying that if my stomach isn't nice to look at then I should cover up! Rubbish! I don't think it should matter what shape you are in; if you are comfortable wearing a sports bra then go for it!

Why would you want to show off your flab. It's as bad as the young girls with muffin tops wearing low cut jeans.
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm a definite memeber of the no shirt club at my CrossFit box. It gets damn hot here in Lubbock and the more fit I get the less I care about what other people think that might be new there. All of us who have been there forever and a day almost always get rid of a shirt after the first round anyway.
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm fine with it, but If a girl is wearing a sports bra and a full face of makeup, you know she's not wearing it just for comfort. But that's her choice.
  • nigo4103
    nigo4103 Posts: 1
    Options
    malice is in the eye of the beholder
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    I'm fine with it, but If a girl is wearing a sports bra and a full face of makeup, you know she's not wearing it just for comfort. But that's her choice.

This isn't true at all... the makeup part. I workout on my lunch break so I roll into the gym with a full face everyday. I doubt the geriatrics at the Y even notice... lol. but even if it were packed I wouldn't take the time since my time is so limited.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    You can wear nothing at all as far as I am concerned - because I'm not there to look at other folks - I'm there to work.
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options
    I personally don't see anything wrong with women wearing sports bras to the gym, especially in Summer when it gets very hot. Even with air conditioning, your body will still generate a lot of heat when you exercise so I can understand why some women would wear sports bras. And as for the reactions, I really do believe that most people who go the gym are there to workout and will be too busy focusing on their own workout to notice that the woman next to them is wearing a sports bra. And even if they do notice, they do pay too much to them.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I don't see why it would be inappropriate....?

Some gyms have rules against it, but if yours allows it, go for it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    malice is in the eye of the beholder

epic first post. well played sir, well played
  • HonoriaLucasta
    HonoriaLucasta Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Would not even think twice about it, would never occur to me to think women who are wearing just a sports bra - which, every one I've ever worn or seen anyone wearing as a top covers CONSIDERABLY more than your average bikini anyway - are "looking for attention," would assume that they are simply HOT because they are WORKING OUT. I am kind of shocked to see all the "cover it up if you are flabby" posts. Should overweight people wear sweatshirts and sweatpants to work out too? I mean, yoga pants are tight and shorts expose the lower half of the legs; God forbid we allow the flesh of someone who isn't a size 4 to be seen in public. That kind of comment seems kind of...unworthy of this site, frankly.

Also, as someone said before, if someone is wearing makeup at the gym I assume it's because they've come from work. I sure as hell am not going to tote makeup remover around with me and scrub my face before working out.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options

This. When I have the stomach for it, I'll be there in my tight leggings and sports bra showing off how hard I've worked!
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I've seen way worse at the gym besides a woman wearing a sports bra and no shirt.

I don't care. Some people wear old ragged shirts, some wear sweatpants, some wear jeans, some wear tight spandex, some where regular gym clothes...who cares.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

If not cover that *kitten* up.

oh wow. I wonder what exactly the correct standards are for being able to wear just a sports bra in your eyes and all the others who've said "if you've got the body for it", etc etc.

To the OP, I don't care what people wear to workout. I'm there to do my thing, they're there to do their's.
  • Showmm
    Showmm Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    If it's hot and you are working hard, I don't see a problem with it. If it's not hot or sweat isn't dripping off of you, I don't see why you would
    I just bought some sports bras last night... there are definitely two different types.

The kind meant to be worn as underwear (thin, hides nothing, eye-protection only) and the kind that are meant to be worn as a top (spandex or some thicker material, holds it all together well... no visible nips!)

Honestly, I wouldn't want to see me at the gym wearing the first one. It's like a train wreck... you don't wanna look, but its too horrifying not to!

I'm with Nancy here. For myself, I would always wear a sport shirt to wick away sweat, but would take it off if I was really hot and wearing one of the thicker bras that covers me correctly. I have a couple of bras that pull everything very snug so they don't shake during high impact exercise, but that means there is instead a lot more cleavage on show than I would expose in the gym. Those I wouldn't wear on their own simply because the gym isn't where I want to show the girls off.
  • Carriesund
    Carriesund Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I could care less if there was a woman in only a sports bra and shorts as long as her rear end was covered and her breasts are not hanging out of the bra I say wear what you want. I would check and make sure the gym allows it I know some of them have dress codes.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, it shouldn't really bother anybody what people wear or don't wear to the gym. You are there to get your work out on and not pass judgement on anyone. So if you want to wear a clown outfit, a full face of make up or just a sports bra and shorts, you are still there to work out.

I agree but draw the line at "clown outfit." Clowns are never okay.

I wear a t-shirt or tank over my sports bra because I wouldn't be comfortable with just a sports bra. I don't care what anyone else wears as long as they are considerate and wipe down the machines. :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I like seeing hot people in sports bras...
  • FireEngineRedHead
    FireEngineRedHead Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I would never do it, however, I don't find it fair saying that "if you're in shape do it, if you're not, don't". I think if you are sweaty and gross and you have the confidence to whip off your shirt, do it. Fat people get hot too, ya know. Actually much faster.