Sports Bra at the gym - appropriate or not?

Options

Replies

• micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    Depends where you live. It would not be at all appropriate here in Thailand, in other countries I'm sure it's not an issue. Respect where you are and the norms of that society and it should be all good.
  • cowgirlashlee
    cowgirlashlee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't care what other people wear at the gym. If you're confident enough in your body to wear a sports bra and workout shorts, then do it and kudos to you for being fit!

As for me, I'm nowhere near sports bra and workout shorts status yet ;) but you can bet when I am, I'll be joining the rest of you! It gets way too hot working out in shorts and a t shirt.
  • graves2102
    graves2102 Posts: 38
    Options
    I don't care if you're 100 lbs or 300 lbs. You're at the damn gym to work out, not look like a movie star. Wear what makes you comfortable. Period. If you're sweating your *kitten* off, why do you have to be hot and uncomfortable, therefore causing your workout to suffer, because you're fat? I wear two sports bras because it's more comfortable, and usually a wick wear tank over them. And I look like a whale. And I don't give a f@ck. :D

It's the same as the SKINNY people at the gym who like to stare and laugh and titter at the fat chick on the treadmill. Get over it, yo.

Also, please note I said skinny. Funny enought, the FIT people at the gym are always freaking awesome and inspirational and happy to help/motivate/cheer!

YES! This girl has it right!!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Not appropriate for a health and safety reason. You sweat and it's gross. Just because you wipe afterwards doesn't mean everyone does. My gym has a no shirt rule and I'm firmly in agreement. Men and women.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Girl if you're toned or buff, sport it.

If not cover that *kitten* up. Seriously, I have not and will not ever get to sport just the sports bra look. I give other people the courtesy of covering up. I ask that they do the same. Love yourself at home in your house for your eyes only.

:grumble:

edit- a sports bra under workout clothes is also must. No matter who you are.

Unbelievable!!! This is so wrong!! So you're saying that if my stomach isn't nice to look at then I should cover up! Rubbish! I don't think it should matter what shape you are in; if you are comfortable wearing a sports bra then go for it!
  • jmatthews75
    jmatthews75 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Not appropriate for a health and safety reason. You sweat and it's gross. Just because you wipe afterwards doesn't mean everyone does. My gym has a no shirt rule and I'm firmly in agreement. Men and women.

not for nothing but the shirt provides no barrier for the bacteria you are worried about getting from a gym. so shirtless or not, it wouldn't matter in that respect.
    as for not wiping down the bench and such, thats just nasty, from a slip and slide perspective as well as hygene. somepeople are just rude though.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    When I can see my abs, you trust me I'll be rocking a nice fancy sports bra without a shirt over it!

If I can sweat my butt off and work my butt off for years to get to those abs, I have earned the right to wear a sports bra without a shirt when I continue to work out.
  • charlottey22
    charlottey22 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    appropriate, ive seen really nice ones in the shops, i waer mine under a t-shirt tho, but as soon as im more confident with my body ill be rocking the sports bra look too :happy: x
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Girl if you're toned or buff, sport it.

If not cover that *kitten* up. Seriously, I have not and will not ever get to sport just the sports bra look. I give other people the courtesy of covering up. I ask that they do the same. Love yourself at home in your house for your eyes only.

:grumble:

edit- a sports bra under workout clothes is also must. No matter who you are.
    wow way to insult the fat ones.....i shall cover up til im anno
    *struts into the gym in sports bra 16e, pulls pants down under my fat roll and lets my 2 inches of lose skin attract attention* like anyone would anyways, but still rude:brokenheart:
  • kepete
    kepete Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I wish I could!!!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I am curious about what people think of women who work out in a sports bra and workout pants/shorts. Is it considered appropriate or too much skin?? My gym does not have good air conditioning and I die of heat less clothes the better, but first I want some opinions. Thanks

On the odd occasion I go to the gym, I wear a sports bra or cropped top, when I go out for a run in public view of everybody, I wear the same - hell I get hot and sweaty, I don't see why I should overheat just so that people I may workout next to or shoppers I may run past will not get offended - I am not worrying about what they wear, they should not be fretting about what I wear :oD
  • awdamm
    awdamm Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I wear a light t-shirt over my sports bra. When I see women in just the bra, I think they're trying to attract attention.

Being honest here, I have to agree.

^^^ above

just to add to it ,

what's wrong with wearing a tank top over the sports bra?
  • Rawrbyn
    Rawrbyn Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    It's really sad to see the posts that say, "If you're hot, do it. If not, cover it up."
    Really?

I think that if you are wearing clothing that is WAY too tight, and actually shows off your lady bits, then no, wear more. But to say that if you aren't toned, you should cover it up is just rude. You are at the gym to GET toned. While you're gawking at the fat girl sweating her butt off(literally!), maybe you should think, "Wow! She is determined to make a change," instead of, "Ew! Look at her fat!"
  • BumbyDog
    BumbyDog Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am curious about what people think of women who work out in a sports bra and workout pants/shorts. Is it considered appropriate or too much skin?? My gym does not have good air conditioning and I die of heat less clothes the better, but first I want some opinions. Thanks

It totally depends on the type of sports bra. If it's like the one you're wearing in your pic, then yes, that's fine. Those ones are designed to be worn either alone or with a top over. They are basically supportive crop tops. But if it's more like the type that's a real bra, then no I think it would just look silly.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Mad props to everyone on here comfortable and confident enough to wear just a sports bra in public/the gym.
    Hopefully someday I get to that point.

If that photo is you and you're not comfortable NOW, you're never going to be!
  • rml_16
    Options

Are you one of those people who also thinks putting down a very thin sheet of paper on a public toilet before sitting on it makes any difference whatsoever?
  • REET420
    REET420 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, it shouldn't really bother anybody what people wear or don't wear to the gym. You are there to get your work out on and not pass judgement on anyone. So if you want to wear a clown outfit, a full face of make up or just a sports bra and shorts, you are still there to work out.
    This is great in theory. But I was just commenting about this lady at my gym that showed up today in a sports bra and a tiny tennis skirt. Then workout out on every machine that showed her vaj. It was distracting and disturbing. I am usually all for letting people do what they will. But this was over the top.

ewww:sick:
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Are you one of those people who also thinks putting down a very thin sheet of paper on a public toilet before sitting on it makes any difference whatsoever?

Nope. I don't even bother squatting. I just sit my *kitten* down. Germs in general are not bad for you but I don't want to be covered in someone's sticky, wet sweat. I have enough of my own!

I did have a friend point out that you cant catch germs from sweat. So I'm wrong on that point. But from a grossness factor I still hold firm.
  • BumbyDog
    BumbyDog Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    This is great in theory. But I was just commenting about this lady at my gym that showed up today in a sports bra and a tiny tennis skirt. Then workout out on every machine that showed her vaj. It was distracting and disturbing. I am usually all for letting people do what they will. But this was over the top.

Well, that's really a question about tiny tennis skirts then rather than bras without a top isn't it?
  • rml_16
    Options

Nope. I don't even bother squatting. I just sit my *kitten* down. Germs in general are not bad for you but I don't want to be covered in someone's sticky, wet sweat. I have enough of my own!

I did have a friend point out that you cant catch germs from sweat. So I'm wrong on that point. But from a grossness factor I still hold firm.

Shirt or no shirt, when I get up from a machine it's covered in sweat. That's why I carry a towel and wipe them down after I use them. A shirt will not prevent the sweat.