Attachment parenting and that Time cover...

Options

Replies

• donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I think the pic is taken at that angle to get a response .... now if she were sitting down cuddling the wee one while he had a drink no one would even look twice . my aunt fed my cousin till she was that age

Im all for breast feeding and have fed all 4 of my kids ap till between 12 and 18 months (if memory serves ) they are all older now the youngest being 11
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    The proper pronoun for a female is she; proper pronoun for a male is he.

Now if you're going to be technical, let's admit that, although you disapprove, "it", is in fact a proper pronoun for "baby".

I am going to work on sentence structure, though, so I can increase my score. :wink:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I think the pic is taken at that angle to get a response .... now if she were sitting down cuddling the wee one while he had a drink no one would even look twice . my aunt fed my cousin till she was that age

Here's the mom above are sitting down with her child nursing as well as other mothers from the article...and I'd definitely look twice--no doubt about it. Her name is Jamie Lynne..

Also, here's a link with Q&A with the mom, Jamie Lynne on the cover about her nursing...it's deep!

http://healthland.time.com/2012/05/10/q-a-with-jamie-lynne-grumet/

Also, I thought this child looked way older than three. After reading the article, I discovered that the little man is 3 years old, but he'll be 4 years old next month.

158ca7d4.jpg

9375c3b8.jpg

***The little girl is 3 years old and the two children tandem nursing are her 4 years old son and 5 month old baby girl***
  • lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Disgusting, the poor children that are going to have memories of this. Its just wrong on so many levels no matter how it tries to get twisted into being okay.

I remember when my younger sister was born and my mom was nursing her (so I would have been close to 4 years old) coming in and seeing her nursing and asking if I could have some too. My mom allowed me to. At that point I remember being surprised that it tasted warm and sweet, because by that age I was used to drinking cows milk. This is a very clear memory to me. It has never disturbed me, but rather I always chuckle a bit when I recall it.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    The more I'm reading about this woman Jamie Lynne...I dunno:huh: , I would say it's none of my blasted business BUT she is on THE COVER OF TIME MAGAZINE :indifferent:

I found this blog she wrote/posted report called "Nurse-In at Target"... turns out she has an adopted son, who she also nurses sometime...he's 5 years old! Here's the article...it's alarming/disturbing to me (for some ODD reason). Here's an excerpt and a pic from the blog article she wrote Dec. 2011...

Nurse-In at Target in Los Angeles – Operation: Normalize Breastfeeding
    http://momsla.com/author/jamie-lynne/

"We adopted our second son from Ethiopia. He was a month shy of his fourth birthday when he came home. We found out soon after he arrived home his mother had breastfed him right up until he entered the orphanage (at 3.5 years old.) From my own experience breastfeeding, my heart broke even more for him. Not only did he lose his mother (the most important and present person to him at that time), he lost his language, his country, and the only thing that would provide true comfort to him- breastfeeding. My son did not have a pacifier or a blankie that could soothe him.

My son came home only speaking Sidamic and a little Amharic. He saw me breastfeeding his brother one day and was interested. I asked him if he wanted to nurse and he nodded his head. I cannot tell you how much this action provided the comfort that my child needed. It aided in both of our attachment to each other. It also solidified his place in the family. My biological son saw that he was his equal, and my adopted son understood that he was just as important as his brother.

It is easy to judge things we don’t understand. I want to encourage everyone to keep an open mind about breastfeeding. Whether it be breastfeeding in public (cover or no cover), adoptive breastfeeding, or even extended breastfeeding. It may not be right for your family, but it might be the saving grace in another family. As mothers, we need to encourage each other to make the right decisions for our children.

Jamie is a Los Angeles Mom Blogger. Her personal blog is I Am Not The Babysitter! – and she coauthors Mommy Hates Chemicals

2b31c406.jpg

Also check out this article called: Who is Jamie Lynne Grumet
    http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/340083/20120511/jamie-lynne-grumet-time-magazine-breastfeeding-cover.htm?page=2

:huh: I nursed all of my children, the last one for 20 months, so I'm no "prude" when it comes to nursing your children...but something is scary about this chick to me. I also saw a Good Morning America or the Today's Show program with her and the little man on there, and it was extremely disturbing to me too. Not just the mom, but how the mom was reacting to the boy, and the little boys behavior... Here's the clip in case you didn't see it:

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/local_news/water_cooler/today-show-interviews-jamie-lynne-grumet-time-magazine-cover-mother-with-3-year-old-breastfeeding
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I believe AP is the best way of bringing up your child, and I plan to be an AP Mummy.

Just my 2 cents :-)
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I don't care about breastfeeding in public necessarily, just attempt to be discreet.

BUT, I really do not get mothers who attempt to be natural in every other aspect of their child rearing and then do the "child led" weaning.

Ever seen a mother cat and her babies when it's time to wean? She kicks the crap out of them to teach them to get used to doing without it. That's nature. It's natural for the mother to say "yup, time for you to stop that." The child does none of the "leading" because, well, they're an immature being with limited capacity for decision-making as determined by their biology (under- developed frontal lobe being a major factor in humans...duh.)

If a kid has teeth in their head and can hold a cup, they should eat solid food on their own. If they can ask for it in complete sentences, they're probably too old. I do not buy the 3+ years of breastfeeding as being necessary or natural.

And cats also teach their kittens to hunt. I don't see anyone teaching 1 year olds to slay.

And who says it's natural? If you want to talk about natural, let's talk about formula and keeping babies in a room all by themselves, not to mention elective C-sections and MGM/FGM.

Breastfeeding is beneficial in more ways than one. It IS natural, and so is extended nursing. Just because people like you are uncomfortable with it because of their own prejudices, it doesn't stop benefiting the child.

And, for the record, children can be born with teeth. Young babies can hold sippy cups. Babies ask for milk from birth. None of these things mean a child shouldn't have milk.

And if you're that against, don't give your child cow's breastmilk. Because that's just hypocritical.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I breastfed both of my Daughters for around 6 months. At that point I quit producing milk. I would have done it longer, possibly a year.

That cover . . . made me throw up in my mouth. It's disturbing to me. He looks older than 3. Breastmilk is for babies, not for Kindergarteners.

If breastmilk was solely for babies, it would stop benefiting them after infanthood.

Don't make innacurate claims.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Disgusting, the poor children that are going to have memories of this. Its just wrong on so many levels no matter how it tries to get twisted into being okay.

Oh, the poor child getting comfort and nutrition from Mummy! I forgot, giving them processed cow's milk and artificial milk replacement, sticking them in a dark room by themselves from birth and leaving them to cry until they're exhausted are MUCH better ways to bring up a secure child!
  • bethc370
    bethc370 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 3 years. I practiced child lead weaning as did most people I know. However, I do not live in the US.

I also practiced attachment parenting which was not invented by Dr. Sears as the article implies but has been the normal method of parenting for thousands of years and is the most usual way of parenting in non-westernized cultures.

Having said that - I have no problem with how people chose to parent their children. What works for my family won't work for yours and whats right for yours won't be right for the next family and so on and so on.

I am the expert at parenting MY children. No one elses.

What I hate about that article is that it is setting up the mommy wars. We are competitive enough with each other and I hate that it is looking to shoot down each other. As mothers we should be looking to build each other up because lets face it - its a damn tough job.

I also hate that picture. Seriously. They are trying to create controversy and I guess they've done it but they have a chosen a thin, beautiful hipster type mother, a large (thats a tall 3 year old) BOY looking at the camera and exposed her chest and posed them to get people talking. If they showed her cradling her child nursing him, it wouldn't have created the same buzz.

And the title "Are you Mom enough?".....don't get me started.

Well said! I agree with everything you said. I'm so sick of the mommy wars!
  • bethc370
    bethc370 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The more I'm reading about this woman Jamie Lynne...I dunno:huh: , I would say it's none of my blasted business BUT she is on THE COVER OF TIME MAGAZINE :indifferent:

I found this blog she wrote/posted report called "Nurse-In at Target"... turns out she has an adopted son, who she also nurses sometime...he's 5 years old! Here's the article...it's alarming/disturbing to me (for some ODD reason). Here's an excerpt and a pic from the blog article she wrote Dec. 2011...

Nurse-In at Target in Los Angeles – Operation: Normalize Breastfeeding
    http://momsla.com/author/jamie-lynne/

"We adopted our second son from Ethiopia. He was a month shy of his fourth birthday when he came home. We found out soon after he arrived home his mother had breastfed him right up until he entered the orphanage (at 3.5 years old.) From my own experience breastfeeding, my heart broke even more for him. Not only did he lose his mother (the most important and present person to him at that time), he lost his language, his country, and the only thing that would provide true comfort to him- breastfeeding. My son did not have a pacifier or a blankie that could soothe him.

My son came home only speaking Sidamic and a little Amharic. He saw me breastfeeding his brother one day and was interested. I asked him if he wanted to nurse and he nodded his head. I cannot tell you how much this action provided the comfort that my child needed. It aided in both of our attachment to each other. It also solidified his place in the family. My biological son saw that he was his equal, and my adopted son understood that he was just as important as his brother.

It is easy to judge things we don’t understand. I want to encourage everyone to keep an open mind about breastfeeding. Whether it be breastfeeding in public (cover or no cover), adoptive breastfeeding, or even extended breastfeeding. It may not be right for your family, but it might be the saving grace in another family. As mothers, we need to encourage each other to make the right decisions for our children.

Jamie is a Los Angeles Mom Blogger. Her personal blog is I Am Not The Babysitter! – and she coauthors Mommy Hates Chemicals

2b31c406.jpg

Also check out this article called: Who is Jamie Lynne Grumet
    http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/340083/20120511/jamie-lynne-grumet-time-magazine-breastfeeding-cover.htm?page=2

:huh: I nursed all of my children, the last one for 20 months, so I'm no "prude" when it comes to nursing your children...but something is scary about this chick to me. I also saw a Good Morning America or the Today's Show program with her and the little man on there, and it was extremely disturbing to me too. Not just the mom, but how the mom was reacting to the boy, and the little boys behavior... Here's the clip in case you didn't see it:

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/local_news/water_cooler/today-show-interviews-jamie-lynne-grumet-time-magazine-cover-mother-with-3-year-old-breastfeeding

What's "scary" to you? That she chose to breast feed her adoptive son? To foster a beautiful attachment that is very difficult to make in an adoption situation like that? I'm confused.
    I adoptive breast fed my son, but maybe it's less scary to you since my son was 2 days old when he was placed with us.

Please clarify what part is so "scary to you."
  • ChrissyLpwe
    ChrissyLpwe Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 3 years. I practiced child lead weaning as did most people I know. However, I do not live in the US.

I also practiced attachment parenting which was not invented by Dr. Sears as the article implies but has been the normal method of parenting for thousands of years and is the most usual way of parenting in non-westernized cultures.

Having said that - I have no problem with how people chose to parent their children. What works for my family won't work for yours and whats right for yours won't be right for the next family and so on and so on.

What I hate about that article is that it is setting up the mommy wars. We are competitive enough with each other and I hate that it is looking to shoot down each other. As mothers we should be looking to build each other up because lets face it - its a damn tough job.

I also hate that picture. Seriously. They are trying to create controversy and I guess they've done it but they have a chosen a thin, beautiful hipster type mother, a large (thats a tall 3 year old) BOY looking at the camera and exposed her chest and posed them to get people talking. If they showed her cradling her child nursing him, it wouldn't have created the same buzz.

Well said. I did not breast feed or do not know what type of parenting I use. But the picture is inaccurate and I really think parents who I know follow this method should be upset by how it conveys you. I have not read the article and will not. :) due to the controversy.
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    I'm shocked by the people who chose not to believe well documented facts because it makes them feel weird to see an older kid nursing.

'I don't believe it because I think it's icky'.....
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    YUCK.

That poor kid will suffer later on with that photo. Some people are total narcissists.

o yeah...that kid is screwed. better start the psych appointments now.

My thoughts exactly.

I personally think 3 is far too long to be breast feeding. I know mom's get attached to their kids and don't want them to grow up and such but some of these stories of breast feeding from 3-6+ years old is appalling. Breastfeeding provides zero extra benefits past the age of 12 months and once the child is becoming self aware of it's enviroment, differences in genders and basic morals of right/wrong, you're only damaging them psychologically in the long run. To be fair the kids face should have been blurred or turned away. With all the buzz about bullying in schools nowdays, she's going to be directly responsible for him getting constantly picked on and teased because there's pictures of him latched on his mom's chest.
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    Breastfeeding provides zero extra benefits past the age of 12 months

This is a lie. People have posted facts that show this in this very thread. So either you're simply ignorant of the facts, or intentionally spreading nonsense.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    YUCK.

That poor kid will suffer later on with that photo. Some people are total narcissists.

o yeah...that kid is screwed. better start the psych appointments now.

My thoughts exactly.

I personally think 3 is far too long to be breast feeding. I know mom's get attached to their kids and don't want them to grow up and such but some of these stories of breast feeding from 3-6+ years old is appalling. Breastfeeding provides zero extra benefits past the age of 12 months and once the child is becoming self aware of it's enviroment, differences in genders and basic morals of right/wrong, you're only damaging them psychologically in the long run. To be fair the kids face should have been blurred or turned away. With all the buzz about bullying in schools nowdays, she's going to be directly responsible for him getting constantly picked on and teased because there's pictures of him latched on his mom's chest.

Seriously? BF'ing has no benefits past the age of one? Please do your research before writing rubbish.

And breastfeeding is rarely about 'not wanting to see them grow up'. Don't insult these women.

You are not psychologically damaging your child, don't be preposterous.

And it's the Mum's fault if the kid gets bullied? Erh, NO. It's the bullies fault for bullying. And, hey, I got bullied for being biracial. Guess it's my Mum's fault for getting with a white guy then. Hey ho.
  • jmehere
    jmehere Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm still nursing my 28 month old. We are in the process of getting rid of the nighttime feeding, and weaning in general. He is much more reluctant than my daughter was, who self weaned around the same age. I would continue to nurse, but he has teeth problems, as did my daughter. Daughter's teeth got better after I weaned.

As far as nursing kids who talk... my son started talking very young. Said his first word at 9 months. Was speaking in sentences by the time he was 18 months. He is very well spoken for his age, and remembers all kinds of stuff that surprises me. I am sure he will have memories of nursing. And that doesn't bother me. I don't understand why people think this is going to be traumatic. It's not an abusive situation. It's a natural situation. Saying that you shouldn't nurse a child because they can talk and they will remember insinuates that there is some shame involved in the act of nursing. There is no shame in nursing and no shame in having been nursed. Regardless of whether you can talk and remember or not.

Some have said that the cover insinuates that women who don't nurse, or don't long term nurse aren't "Mom enough." My interpretation of the cover was different. It seemed to me that they were insinuating that there is an army of Dr. Sears followers of who militantly attachment parent, and that they are extreme. Which is a bit insulting to me. Once again, cultural and social bullying at it's finest in our society. I don't tell my friends that don't nurse that they are extreme or that they are doing it wrong. I keep my opinions of their choices to put their babies in a crib to myself. But, I still find myself defending MY choices. Which is annoying. I know that a lot of people wouldn't put up with that crap and they would tell their friends they are doing it wrong and they wouldn't stand being bullied, maybe by reverse bullying. But I prefer to let each do their own thing. We all have opinions about what others are doing with their lives, and it's really just a big waste of time sitting on the sidelines criticizing everyone and everything one can find to criticize. Keeps you from living your own damn life.
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options

Here, here! I couldn't agree more. My girls self-weaned at 19 and 20 months respectively and I'll let my son nurse as long as he likes. I'm well aware that my style of parenting isn't for everyone. I agree, the composition of the photo was designed specifically to rile people up.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    They wanted to sell the magazine and stir up attention. It worked.

I don't think it would matter what my opinion was, either. The wars about breast feeding will most likely always be around. One Mom thinks she knows all and what's best, and so does another one, etc.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    So opinions people....
    What do you all think of this: http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/time-magazines-breastfeeding-cover-moms-react-185700989.html?

For those of you that breasfed, when did you wean? For those of you that didn't, why not?

I think the way the pic was posed was a bit much and don't really think its necessary to breastfeed a child until he or she is 3, not in Western society. I think that most of us, even those of us like myself in the working classes, have adequate food to provide our children. That being said, if someone chooses to breastfeed that late...then so be it.

Anyway, whatcha all think?

I breastfed all 3 of my children for a minimum of one year. My first two weaning right around the 12 month mark. My youngest I breastfed a little longer. Mostly because he was still nursing A LOT instead of doing self weaning like my older two. And we moved across country right around his 1rst birthday so I am pretty sure he was around 15 months old when I weaned him. And he was still nursing A lot at that time. I also knew he was my last child. That I was not going to have any more so I think that is also why I nursed him a little longer. Because my children are breastfed I do think this is partly why they are at a healthy weight and not fighting the childhood obesity that is plaguing the country