What annoys you at the gym?

Options

Replies

• Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I go to a gym that is ran by a hopsital. So, most of the time, I don't see most of what people are talking about. Then again, I am watching tv while working out.

What does annoy me: Person next to me who can't seem, or won't, move faster to keep her machine on. Then you hear the beep beep of the pause going on. It's like...MOVE FASTER!

I am next to you at my target heart rate and sweating up a storm and you can't seem to move faster?

People getting mad at me for requesting a change in channel. Yet, you said ok to change the channel! o_o

....HDGTV....Why oh why must I watch that when I am working out? I don't really give a **** as to how much a house is worth.

Parking lot: Full. Yet no one is on the machines!

Locker rooms: Can I say that I do not want to see you change? If you must change from swim suite to clothes..There is a more distant way to do that yes? No reason to get compelty naked infront of me!

Other then that I don't have any real complanets. Half of my gyms poluation is old people.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    People who hog the space/equpment! There's these two ladies who come in, collect all the dumbells and other equipment they plan to use, and spread it all out in front of the only open space in front of the mirrors. So nobody can use the space or the equipment. Take what you need, use it, and then put it back for someone else. Today, even worse because it was a trainer! Went over and asked if he was using one or both of the blocks with his client. He said not, and I took one to an open space. Started working out, then he comes over with his client and starts doing an exercise right next to me. Ok fine, so I take the block and move it back to the spot that they had just left. I do another set of box jumps, walk around for a minute, head back to the box only to find the trainer and his client are now there, using the block. Seriously, he knew I was using it; couldn't have at least asked if I was done? Or used the other one?

Must be something about the trainer's egos, trainer at my gym (who walks around like God's gift) comes over and states "I need this area" and just expects whoever is there to leave. Last time I checked, I pay to use that area just like everyone else. What an *kitten*!!
  • Cindylou321
    Cindylou321 Posts: 66
    Options
    Hmmm... I've read a couple of pages of this and well I'm guilty of one..

My sister and I do walk and talk on the treadmills and elliptical machines... that is pretty much the only time we have to catch up with each other.. we work out a lot longer if we do it together and work out harder usually.

We motivate each other and really look forward to the time we spend together.. so if we are bothering any of you.. so sorry but we paid for memberships just like you did...
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    "When somebody takes the machine with the view of the hot chick in yoga pants that I was OBVIOUSLY following."
    Sheesh that's sad and degrading! Why don't you show some class and respect by just working out without leering!

How is it degrading? If she's wearing those kinds of pants, she's probably wanting the attention lol. Nothing wrong with enjoying the scenery, IMO.

I agree with the first poster. It is rude to leer and stare. I wear yoga pants because they are cool and comfortable. Also, pretty much they are pretty much the only workout pants I can wear. I am always catching them staring and they are obvious about it. If you look, just be discreet about it. Sheesh :grumble:

lol There is something to be said for discretion. But I don't think it's necessary to be all "OMG you're checking out a good looking woman at the gym??? You monster!!!", either :smile:
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    The time of day I go there are a lot of older (60+) folks and around the cardio and weights areas you have the middle aged stay at home moms and 30-something bodybuilders, respectively.

Weirdly enough I get the most grief from the older folks who will stare at me when I'm on weight/strength machines or if they're on a treadmill next to mine or even one over, they will be monitoring MY stats! I had one older lady, I was using the ergometer and the angle its at faces the stationary bikes that have TVs on them. She was on the end on nearest me and I could see the TV plain as day and she switched it to Food Network and periodically looked at me to see if I was watching or being tortured by food on a screen. When I use the ergometer I either close my eyes or stare into nothing.

The rules at the gym state you have to wipe down the machine you just used, I have seen so many people jog or run on the treadmills and leave sweat drops on the sides and all over the heart rate handles and just walk off when they're done. I used a machine that makes you sit on a pad and lift a padded rod with the front of your legs and I wiped the seat down. No sooner had I moved away to throw the used paper towel away that a woman came up, spritzed and cleaned the seat, and then sat down to use it. Was like... gee sorry lady I must've missed a spot since my butt's so big.

Some guys in the weight room actually scare me with how they exhale or grunt when bench pressing or just using dumbbells and lying on the flat bench. One guy kept making a noise that sounded like a dying squeaky dog toy and a sneeze.

Back to the TVs, I don't mind them being on as I can easily ignore them and you have to have headphones to hear them anyway. But some people will sit there and comment on the show/news, I had one woman today watching CNN and trying to talk about whatever story was on to the guy on the treadmill next to her and he was running with headphones in. I always wear headphones on the treadmill and listen to music and they block out almost all noise. When I finished one day I popped out the earbuds and the first thing I hear is this loud, barking laughter that scared the daylights out of me. Guy was watching something and laughing, but it was obnoxiously loud and some folks don't wear headphones.

It also annoys me when a group of people that know each other congregate around one machine or a couple in the area to talk. Several times this has happened and I've had to wait for them to shut up so I could get to the machines or if I'm using one nearby and God forbid it makes noise or I do, they all stop abruptly and look at me like I took a dump in the room. I get it, you wanna catch up, but chilling on machines others might need or blocking them from use is rude. Go into the foyer for that crap.
  • abberbabber
    Options
    I go to a gym that is ran by a hopsital. So, most of the time, I don't see most of what people are talking about. Then again, I am watching tv while working out.

What does annoy me: Person next to me who can't seem, or won't, move faster to keep her machine on. Then you hear the beep beep of the pause going on. It's like...MOVE FASTER!

I am next to you at my target heart rate and sweating up a storm and you can't seem to move faster?

People getting mad at me for requesting a change in channel. Yet, you said ok to change the channel! o_o

....HDGTV....Why oh why must I watch that when I am working out? I don't really give a **** as to how much a house is worth.

Locker rooms: Can I say that I do not want to see you change? If you must change from swim suite to clothes..There is a more distant way to do that yes? No reason to get compelty naked infront of me!

Other then that I don't have any real complanets. Half of my gyms poluation is old people.

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Seriously, "move faster"? That's just...rude. Obviously the person is trying. Just because they can't go fast enough yet is no reason to get all pissy.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Seriously, "move faster"? That's just...rude. Obviously the person is trying. Just because they can't go fast enough yet is no reason to get all pissy.

I don't say it but ignore it. Though again, I don't know if she just finished or is waiting on a trainer. So I am not going to say anything. Even then I can hear it through my ear phones.

and its what I am thinking. I don't talk to people really.
  • alapoint89
    alapoint89 Posts: 632
    Options
    men
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    truthfull i am never paying attention to anyone when i am there so i dont really get annoyed at all. When I do go do weights and someone is standing there or chatting i say in an annoyed voice are you using that??? they never know what to do and they just say oh sorry and move lmao

but the people who say the person going crazy at level 1 or walking slow on the treadmill we all start somewhere i am 280 pounds so for me going 2.8 on the tread with an incline of like 2 or 3 is killer for me my heart rate is very high, and on the cross trainer i go fast on level 1 cause if i go any higher my knee starts to kill me, not sure why that bothers people seeing as its what everyone can do lol
    someone said about the bag i am guilty of that but i do take my small bag cause i never remember my lock and i need the bag for when my son needs a diaper change they wont do it there lol

and to the OP that is messed up i would be annoyed if people were judging others, i go to the ymca so i am lucky enought o have a lot of family type people and not too many annoying ones lmao
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    "When somebody takes the machine with the view of the hot chick in yoga pants that I was OBVIOUSLY following."
    Sheesh that's sad and degrading! Why don't you show some class and respect by just working out without leering!

How is it degrading? If she's wearing those kinds of pants, she's probably wanting the attention lol. Nothing wrong with enjoying the scenery, IMO.

I agree with the first poster. It is rude to leer and stare. I wear yoga pants because they are cool and comfortable. Also, pretty much they are pretty much the only workout pants I can wear. I am always catching them staring and they are obvious about it. If you look, just be discreet about it. Sheesh :grumble:

lol There is something to be said for discretion. But I don't think it's necessary to be all "OMG you're checking out a good looking woman at the gym??? You monster!!!", either :smile:

Your right, I only want discretion since I do find it creepy when 30 year old man check me out...... a little flattering and just plain creepy at the same time! But as long as they are discrete, I guess I am fine with it :laugh:

(P.S I LOVE the picture on your ticker :smile:)
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Oh I thought of one! People who feel the need to point out that I'm supposed to go much lower in a squat.

I simply cannot. I messed up my right knee a few months ago and I honestly can't get as low as I'd like. DON'T LECTURE ME.

At least doing squats at all is helping to strengthen that knee.
  • DrivenDiva
    DrivenDiva Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    *ppl wearing too much cologne/perfume
    *musty people
    *ppl socializing rather than working out
    *ppl sitting on machines texting
    *ppl learing over your shoulders to see how much time you have left
    *flirters, be they gym goers or trainers
    *ppl who don't clean off machines and benches
    *fitness class teachers who cancel class at the last minute, forcing class abandonees into the cardio room, crowding it further
    *hair in the shower area
    *multiple out of order machines
    *workout "experts" spouting workout advice
    *half naked ppl

I need my own at home gym apparently!
  • abberbabber
    Options

Your right, I only want discretion since I do find it creepy when 30 year old man check me out...... a little flattering and just plain creepy at the same time! But as long as they are discrete, I guess I am fine with it :laugh:

(P.S I LOVE the picture on your ticker :smile:)

Hahaha, thank you!! ^_^
  • anaboneana
    anaboneana Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    grunters.... sounding like they are having an orgasm at the machine . distracting

^^ this!! especially when it's girls doing it (sooo awkward)
  • TriciaZ944
    TriciaZ944 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Someone showered in perfume
    Not cleaning off the machine after using
    Hanging out instead of working out on/around the equipment
    Getting on the cardio machine right next to me when there are 5 other ones with no one on them (it's not like those machines are spaced out)
    Being rude to other gym goers
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    grunters.... sounding like they are having an orgasm at the machine . distracting

^^ this!! especially when it's girls doing it (sooo awkward)

<-- grunts on her last rep, but not too loud... :frown:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I actually laughed out loud tonight at the gym- not on purpose or in a mean way, I just turned around and there was a guy giving himself sex eyes while doing bicep curls. Luckily nobody can hear me when I have headphones on, right? 'Cause that's what I choose to believe when I'm grunting at the end of doing high intensity treadmill intervals....
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I actually laughed out loud tonight at the gym- not on purpose or in a mean way, I just turned around and there was a guy giving himself sex eyes while doing bicep curls. Luckily nobody can hear me when I have headphones on, right? 'Cause that's what I choose to believe when I'm grunting at the end of doing high intensity treadmill intervals....

LOL!
  • kiara04
    kiara04 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My gym and numerous other gyms that I have been a member of over the years have been really chilled out - lots of people of different ages, abilities, weights dressed in everything from a 1970's shirt through to the best high-tech gear money can buy lol. I agree with wipping machines - it is kind of gross. Also, people who just don't seem to grasp the concept of personal hygiene or deodorant.
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym anymore, but when I did.....the people that chuckle and stare at the bigger people. Well hello, that's why they are there! The next thing is the people that fart. I know, it's part of life, but goodness!