What annoys you at the gym?

Options

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Things annoy me:
    People who do't re-rack plates... I always wind up getting a pre-workout before my actual one!

People who sit on the machines and just gab away or stare at their girlfriend/boyfriend as they are doing an exercise.

People who come up to my trainer and start conversations as I'm with him.. I mean seriously? Do you not see me here? and when I drop this barbell on my foot because your distracting him, well then you better be prepared.

People who don't lock their lockers or walk around the locker room naked for all to see.

Women who hog the treadmills by going super slow and just chatting with their buddies.. Thats why my gym has a lounge and a juice bar.. Go over there and do it!
  • digit78
    digit78 Posts: 177
    Options
    I go to a boxing gym that has a mixed bag of clientele (fighters to people who just want to shed weight)................ nothing annoys me because the vibe is simple, 'work hard'. Most people who use the facilities in isolation are training for sparring/boxing with the bulk of the members going to the group classes................... and the classes are so brutal that you have no time or energy to notice anyone else, besides the odd nod or comment for encouragement. If anyone is posing, chatting etc then te trainers quickly up the tempo......... they either focus or never come back!

Reading everyone elses experiences makes me feel so grateful to have found the place I have!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It annoys me when someone is using the machine I want to use. :-)

Actually, the only thing that actually annoys me is people on cell phones. It's just distracting. I would be annoyed by people not wiping down machines, but I haven't had that happen yet.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I must admit, my friends and I are guilty of talking on the treadmills. For me, it makes the time go faster. We also aim for 3-4 miles ( hill intervals for me) during our 60 minutes!

I HATE the grunters. A few weeks ago there was some guy on the treadmill next to me who was running fast ( like 6+mph) and grunted the whole time. Seriously, slow it down if it is THAT hard. I was 40 minutes into MY workout, struggling to keep going, and could hear him through my headphones turned up.
  • digit78
    digit78 Posts: 177
    Options
    I HATE the grunters. A few weeks ago there was some guy on the treadmill next to me who was running fast ( like 6+mph) and grunted the whole time. Seriously, slow it down if it is THAT hard. I was 40 minutes into MY workout, struggling to keep going, and could hear him through my headphones turned up.

He's grunting because he's pushing himself past his boundaries............... he should be applauded not ridiculed. Its' a gym where you're supposed to work hard. If you want quite, try a library!

My gym (boxing) I was encouraged to make noise when on the heavy bag / pad work as the breathing was timed to punching and provided extra power as well as providing a reminder on my breathing.
  • SkippingQueen
    Options
    It is so annoying when I could be on the tradmill or the cross-trainer, and whoever is next to me is constantly staring at my cals burned/ incline/ or whatever! It's not a competition! I have to put my towel over the entire board because it's none of their business!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I must admit, my friends and I are guilty of talking on the treadmills.

I will only do cardio at the gym if I have someone to talk to. I guess until this thread I didn't realize the gym was actually a library.

For the record, I can hold a conversation just fine even when jogging 6 mph, so it certainly isn't a sign someone isn't working hard.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    going to the gym annoys me =)
  • Canuck_TriFit
    Canuck_TriFit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm only annoyed when people don't use gym etiquette. Deracking/re-racking your weights, wiping down machines. sitting on machines talking when you're not using them.

All the rest of stuff is just people being people. Everyone pays the same amount, how they use their time in the gym is their own business not mine.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty happy with my gym. The weight room was intimidating at first but I got over that.

My only complaint is the front desk folks. Not all of them mind you but a few of the people act like you are stabbing them in the face if you ask them to do something. Our gym has a cardio cinema (cardio machines and a movie theater screen so you can watch movies while you work out) and you have to ask someone to press play to start the movie up. Some of the front desk folks act as if this is the biggest chore they have ever had to do. It is a button on a remote. Just press it!
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options

I will only do cardio at the gym if I have someone to talk to. I guess until this thread I didn't realize the gym was actually a library.

For the record, I can hold a conversation just fine even when jogging 6 mph, so it certainly isn't a sign someone isn't working hard.

Not a library. But then again, I'm assuming you're not shouting or discussing who gave whom STD's (there are some topics that really are too much information for those around you) nor are you talking over the head of someone doing their own thing between you and your pal. Personally, I'm uncomfortable talking about my stuff where other people can hear: for example on public transport even if I'm going out with my girlfriends I don't want every single person on the bus/tram to know about that one *kitten* of a coworker of mine.

but that's just me.
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    The peeker always gets me irritated!!!! You know, when your on your machine and you can see out of the corner of your eye every minute or so the person next to you is looking to see how fast your going/cals burned/time etc. ticks me off sometimes lol.

I was a peeker once!! I saw what the lady next to me was doing and copied her. It was the best workout ever on the threadmill :drinker:
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I forgot one! I always find it really funny that people circle the parking lot for 10 mins to get the closest possible spot, then jump on the treadmill lol it's like really? You weren't willing to walk across the parking lot to go to the gym and walk?
  • shortstuff31117
    shortstuff31117 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I forgot one! I always find it really funny that people circle the parking lot for 10 mins to get the closest possible spot, then jump on the treadmill lol it's like really? You weren't willing to walk across the parking lot to go to the gym and walk?

This!! I usually haul my 3 little kids in with me and you don't see me circling the lot!

People that stand next to the machine I'm using, just staring at me...that really irritates me.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I have a home gym....when I did workout at a gym a lot of these reasons were why I stopped. I shower every day, sometimes twice and probably re-apply deodorant more than needed but when I workout...I go hard and turn into the biggest smelly sweaty person! I hated people trying to talk to me...ummm focusing, again going really hard! It bothered me that people didn't clean off the machines, so I would have to do it before and after! The people that lurk...waiting for the machine your on, makes for a really uncomfortable workout...can't concentrate when your breathing down my neck looking impatient! :)
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    walk around the locker room naked for all to see.

And it's usually the women who look awful naked :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • HornsUT32
    HornsUT32 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Oops, I forgot a big one!

When you are driving to the gym and get to the parking lot, and the car in front of you stops and waits for another car to pull out so that they don't have to walk far. People...you are at the gym to work out! Don't make me wait because you are too lazy to walk!!!!
  • TurtleTurtle1975
    Options
    Sorry ladies, you who wear the leather fingerless gloves lifting your 10 lb weights.

LOL! I'm guilty of this one! (And it's 5-8lbs weights! Ha ha) Honestly I don't want even a hint of a calous! $40 on a mani and I am not having rough man hands! *grin*

I am annoyed by the woman in my Zumba class that can't keep out of my personal space. I spent today's Zumba class moving forward, then back, then more to the right to avoid a woman who eventually had the back quarter of the room to herself!

I also dislike the "skinny b*tches" who are obviously judging everyone. And the creepy men staring at the women. And the people with so much perfume on! Or the smoke clinging to their clothes!

And the naked people prancing around the locker room. I'm glad you are comfortable in your body, but I didn't need to see THAT much of you!
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

He's grunting because he's pushing himself past his boundaries............... he should be applauded not ridiculed. Its' a gym where you're supposed to work hard. If you want quite, try a library!

My gym (boxing) I was encouraged to make noise when on the heavy bag / pad work as the breathing was timed to punching and provided extra power as well as providing a reminder on my breathing.

I never said I wanted "quiet", but I shouldn't have to hear him grunt for 20-30 minutes when my music is turned all the way up. I'm not saying that I am a silent jogger either, but I don't spend my WHOLE workout grunting obscenely either...
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    There is a special place in hell for the folks that don't wipe down the machines when they are done.

There is this lady that uses the hand dryer to dry her hair. And there is a sign that CLEARLY states NO HAIRDRYING. It isn't that hard to pack a hairdryer lady. The make these things called travel size.

I hate when the sound for the TVs are one because I would rather listen to bad radio than Fox News or CNN to be honest.