What is the craziest thing you believed to be true as a kid?

Options

Replies

• WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Courtesy of my Grandpa, that if you swallow your bubblegum, it will make your bum stick shut so you can't poop.
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    My Grandmother told me if I kept whistling I would grow fish gills in my neck. Yep I believed her. Every time I slipped up and found myself whistling, Id run over to the mirror and check my neck!!
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    That I "would go blind" if I kept playing with that.... or that I would get hairy palms.

Ha!!! I showed them!!!
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I thought my cat would talk at midnight on New Year's Eve. I would get mad the years that I fell asleep before midnight. I still kind of wish this one was true.
    I didn't know my mom was checking for cracked eggs in the carton. I thought she was counting to make sure there were a dozen.
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options

I also would not allow my feet to hang out of the covers for fear that something would grab them

^^ THIS!!!! I still do not like to let my arms or legs dangle off the bed, and no matter how hot it is I want at least a sheet to cover me up LOL!!

I didn't really "believe" this, but my fantasy was that when I got the Sears Christmas catalog, I could just touch the pictures of what i wanted and my Fairy Godmother would make all those things appear...
  • HeavenLeAngel127
    HeavenLeAngel127 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Cabbage Patch dolls.

Someone told me babies came out of the belly button, so when I saw the cabbage patch doll had an outie bellybutton I thought it was giving birth... I didn't mention it to anyone so I was not corrected and remained in fear of them for at least a year
  • HeavenLeAngel127
    Options
    also the toilet at night, always had the feeling something was going to reach out and pull me in
  • HeavenLeAngel127
    Options
    Oh and escalators... the little crack at the top.

My brother told me that if I got sucked in I would go to a magical land of pixies and trolls.....

However, he never clarified how I was to escape this magical land where small people who are not used to the human race and may be hostile, and where strange warty men lived under bridges reside.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    also the toilet at night, always had the feeling something was going to reach out and pull me in

Hahah! Did you watch Goulies when you were a kid? I always had to check inside the bowl just in case after watching that.
  • GO_NadZ_xO
    GO_NadZ_xO Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I kind of developed the idea that because old movies were sepia and black and white, the whole world used to be only those colours. I was forever asking my old relatives how colours were invented! Silly me!
  • SabKab16
    SabKab16 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I would always stare into the speakers of a stereo.... because I thought there were tiny people actually singing in there.....
  • csw92
    csw92 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I believed that people disappeared when I wasn't around them or was asleep and that there were really animals that could talk to people.

I was very disapppointed when I got older.
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I used to believe what when you became an adult, you couldn't have friends anymore.

I also believed that I would die if I ever got stung by a bee. That's what my doctor told me.

I used to think that "for all intents and purposes" was actually "for all intensive purposes." It was actually just this past year that I found out I was wrong about that.

When my brother was little, he thought that brothers and sisters got married to each other.

I also believed that all of time happened at once, and that each moment was always happening. If time were linear, the past and future wouldn't exist, so time travel would be impossible. That's what I get for being raised on Doctor Who.
  • truellaDevine
    truellaDevine Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i used to think that the power rangers were real. =)
  • jojoof4
    jojoof4 Posts: 120
    Options
    I used to love potatoes and my uncle would always tell me that eating too many potatoes would result in them growing out of my ears. He would pull down on each ear and look inside, saying that I was getting pretty close. I would run to the bathroom after eating them and check in the mirror to see if I had surpassed my limit. Kids are so gullible!
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    That God was, without a doubt, real.
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options

I used to think that "for all intents and purposes" was actually "for all intensive purposes." It was actually just this past year that I found out I was wrong about that.

Im glad I am not the only one that believed that! I too recently realized I was wrong. Hah
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options

Omg, me too :laugh: :laugh:
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Oh, I also believed that the toys in my room were secretly alive. So I wouldn't bash them around, or if I had to stuff them somewhere when I tidied up, I apologised profusely. I sincerely believed that they would take revenge on me.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options

I also would not allow my feet to hang out of the covers for fear that something would grab them

Me too :laugh: