What is the craziest thing you believed to be true as a kid?

Options

Replies

• sarasmile144
    sarasmile144 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If you ate while standing up, you wouldn't be able to gain weight. 0.o
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Jesus

thread-derailed-thumb.jpg
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid, I knew all of the basics of reproduction (sperm and egg, development of the fetus, even childbirth ), but as to how the sperm actually got inside the uterus... yeah, the book I was reading was pretty vague on that subject. Specifically, it said "the sperm enter the woman's body through skin-to-skin contact," and that was accompanied by a picture of a happy couple holding hands. So there was a period of time during which I believed that hand-holding could lead to pregnancy.
  • justaskforbrandy
    justaskforbrandy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    listerine would give me gingivitis... i didn't use mouth wash until i was 21!

anybody that was taller than my dad (he's 6'2) was a vampire.

if you sneezed 3x in a row and didn't say bless me at least once, a creepy leprechaun would show up & make you marry him.

that my parents had cameras in the bathroom mirrors to make sure i brushed my teeth... it made for very awkward showers!
  • karen0080
    karen0080 Posts: 64
    Options
    I believed in vampires!!! Would sleep with the covers around my neck. I still love vampires shows. LOL
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    The spaghetti tree April fool's prank.

I must have seen it on TV - I believed it until I was 13. My friends were only to happy to laugh in my face whilst informing where spaghetti actually came from.
  • kathyc727
    kathyc727 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    A friend of our family told me that eating bread crusts made your hair curly. LOL :smile: Crazy, huh?

LOL My Grandmother told us that too. Bread crusts & peas.
    She also told us that if we ate green beans we grow tall & thin. Funny since all of us are super short & chunky.
  • kathyc727
    kathyc727 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Monsters DID live under my bed. So, I would turn my light off and run as fast as I could and jump into bed. The I had to be under the covers because if any part was exposed they would get me!!

OH...and my stuffed animals were alive. So I took turns sleeping with each one so none of them would get their feelings hurt. To this day, I have a hard time getting rid of stuffed animals. Like Toy Story is my life!

My friends & family still make fun of me for this. I used to lay in bed and go through each kiss in my head so
    i didn't forget anybody. I would worry about it all night. I have a bag of stuffed animals (my kids) in my trunk that I was supposed to get rid of over 3 years ago but can't seem to make myself do. I still have some of my stuffed animals in the attic.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    That the ninja turtles lived in the sewer system by my house.
  • bigdal77
    bigdal77 Posts: 69
    Options
    i always thought you had to be the same age to be married as my mom and dad was :)
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Oh god.. you know the Gushers candies? They had a commercial where there'd be a kid eating them and their head would turn into a fruit. I seriously thought that would happen to me if I ate one.
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I thought that cats were girls and dogs were boys, When a cat had babies they were born either puppies (boys) or kittens (girls). No clue where that idea came from!
  • foot2wood
    foot2wood Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I believed there was an evil witch at my house that only came out at night when we were upstairs at night.
  • kgchisholm
    kgchisholm Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I thought bikes were supposed to be in the "bike lane" . . . you know, that bike tire sized line IN BETWEEN the two yellow lines on the road! Ha.

We'd have a lot of dead bicyclists if that were true!
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    This sounds kinda gross but one of my cousins told me this growing up and for the longest time as a child, I believed it. She told me that it was not safe to use an outhouse that all the flies would fly into your orifices when you sat down. Uggggh
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Believed there really was a gigantic mother a$$ed "JAWS" shark in lakes!~ I am almost 42 and will not go into a lake by myself...LOL :blushing: :embarassed:

To this day I don't like to swim in the lake! Even sometimes I get nervous in my pool? How annoying LMAO!:embarassed:
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    1. I thought when my mom took here glasses off to clean them she was instantly blind and couldn't see a thing. Freaked the heck out of me when she'd change into her sunglasses while driving!

haha.. This one reminds me of my son. One day while we were driving, him in the back seat behind the front passenger seat and me in the driver's seat (of course!), he got upset with me and asked why I'm always looking back at him. Apparently for YEARS, every time I looked over my shoulder to see if it was safe to change lanes, he thought I was looking at him! That day he just got fed up enough with it to yell at me. It was pretty funny (=
  • pjennekuuk
    pjennekuuk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Well I thought that you had two different esophagusses (-i? ae? not sure how to spell this but hope you know what I mean). One for fluids and one for solid food and I thought your body would automatically reroute your food into the correct one...that always did make me wonder where my body would send custard though and yoghurt (are they fluids? But you do sort of chew them?).

I also believed all trucks came from a place called "Long Vehicle"
  • littlebluej
    littlebluej Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My grandpa told me that if you got too close to pool drains, it would suck in your hair and you'd drown. Apparently this is because of the way the old drains were made, but even today there are stories of children sitting on drains and having their intestines sucked out. I will not touch or go near pool (or spa) drains whatsoever. Same for pool vacuums.

My grandma told me that I could make the stoplight change by telling it to do so.

All of my toys/stuffed animals would come to life when I wasn't in the room. Thanks, Toy Story. Also, the knobs on my dressers were eyes.

Pre-puberty, I used to mix up all of my shampoos/soaps/etc in the shower and rub them on my chest to make my boobs grow.
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    That grown ups had it so easy. *drops mic, exits stage left with head down*