What is the craziest thing you believed to be true as a kid?

Options

Replies

• KatKatatrophic
    KatKatatrophic Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    1. I always thought sharks were in the lake. I could not swim in the lake without someone being there and there was a boat with a gun on it. LOL! Too many Jaws movies and Shark Week.

2. I thought cats were all female. I have two male cats now though :)

3. I thought people who died in movies actually died.

4. I thought actors/actresses waited until a commercial/movie came on and preformed it.

5. I also thought sharks were in pools when I was swimming at night.

6. Speaking of pools, I thought the drain lids would pop off and suck me in.
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    my sister told me there was only snow in the north pole. i am from guam and we only have 2 seasons- wet or dry. it stays around 80 degrees all year.. i totally believed that it only snowed where santa lives. lol! oh yeah and i believed in santa claus!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    That there were little people in radios playing the music.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I believed I could actually fly and also that chocolate milk came from brown cows...

ETA: Most importantly, I believed there was a portal in my closet that lead to Halloween Town and that I was a witch and warlocks were after me and thats why I had to live away from Halloween Town lol

OK Marnie...I hate that I totally understood this but I have watched the movies after my kids went to bed...drinking beer and eating popcorn...oddly fascinating
  • chickabee5
    chickabee5 Posts: 90
    Options
    I used to think people lived inside the tv haha :)
  • sarscott
    sarscott Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    And that the yolk of an egg was the chicken that didn't hatch. I wouldn't eat eggs for the longest time.

I still think this...
  • mightymom2
    mightymom2 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    my mom told us that if we swallowed a watermelon seed we would grow a watermelon in our belly :grumble:

also I thought that when you rode a bike the street actually moved, and tested out the theory, guess what it dosen't :noway: crashed my bike into a parked car
  • LivetoRun07
    LivetoRun07 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    When I was younger my family and I were on the road a lot. To avoid stopping the car every half hour or so for a bathroom break, my mom told us that if we sat on public toilet seats we would get pregnant LOL. Awful story, but we learned to drink minimum amounts before a trip, and we learned to hold it until we got to wherever we were going. She made me believe soooo much stupid crap like that. My favorite was "I have Mommy vision, meaning I can see through the walls and I know for a fact you aren't doing what you're supposed to!!"

I turned out fine though. Despite her making me paranoid about everything lol
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    This was a very amusing thread! Shame I haven't got a better memory as I'm sure there would be some. 2 my friend Sabrina believed are if you dyed your hair It would turn grey and the sky was blue because it reflected off the sea! She only knew better when I told her at the aged of 19 or 20. Very naïve woman lol x
  • RedBullLiz
    RedBullLiz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    A couple things::
    Thought cops always handcuffed people regardless of what they did.
    If you danced an animal, it would come back and haunt you at the strike of midnight.
    The mailman would only send mail from underground.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    That to steer a car you had to wildly swing the wheel from side to side and that would make you go straight. Hey that's how bugs bunny drove!
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    When I was four, I was a flower girl in my aunt's wedding. My grandfather, whose quite a joker, told me that if I farted while we were all standing up at the altar, blue streaks would come out of my butt and everyone would see them. I was totally terrified that I would fart during the wedding.
  • njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    That there were monkeys in my closet, which, of course, made me terrified of monkeys. I found out only a couple of years ago that the screaming monkey noises I insisted were coming from my closet, were, in fact, my brothers, hiding in my closet, making screaming monkey noises. Apparently there was a hole in the closet leading to the hallway, so when my parent(s) would run into my room, they would sneak out, and tada! No monkeys in the closet. Lol. *kitten*.:blushing:
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    If you crossed your eyes long enough, they'd get stuck.

That flowers bloomed in seconds. (like the time-lapses I'd see on TV)

That you got pregnant from kissing.

With that said, I used to think "pregnant" was a bad word.

I also used to believe that if you put an egg in the microwave, you'd hatch a baby chick. I discovered this not to be true one day when I made a nice little bed for my little chick, picked out a name, and then watched the microwave door blow open and pieces of egg disperse across the counters, cabinets, and floor.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    My mother called them "Lie bumps" and when you get a popped out taste bud on your tongue and it hurts really bad, my mom would say oh you must have told a lie. I believed that well into my teens : D

This: My grandma & grandpa would say I must have told a lie b/c I had a little bump on my tongue...I would get mad b/c I would get them & knew I hadn't told a lie...I believed this til I was early 20's...duh

I believed that Mickey Mouse, Pokey Little puppy & a whole lot of cartoons were real b/c I had the record player with books so I got to hear them talking or barking or whatever & I would cry b/c I wanted to figure out how to get into the book with them...

I also believed that ALL dolls came to life at night & clowns too...Thanks to Poltergeist & Puppet Master....I still get spooked by clowns & dolls - especially porcelain ones b/c they have such scary faces...Freaky!!

I used to believe that I was a witch & could tell the future...I also had my friends convinced as well...Crazy huh??
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Both my sister and I were adopted (we're not biological sisters), and my sister is 3 years younger than me. Well, I recall going to the DMV with my mom (I later found out she had taken me with her to renew her license), and I also went with her to the adoption agency, which happened to be in the same building as the DMV. Since I was only 3, I made the connection that they were in the same building, so I was completely and utterly convinced that we adopted my sister from the DMV, ha ha ha.

I still tease her about being from the DMV to this day.

Edit: I also thought that TV shows were real life, and couldn't figure out how the cameramen knew when to start recording the funny things that happened to the families. This is the first time I've ever admitted that! I never asked anyone when I was a kid. I've always tried to figure things out on my own, even when I was little :laugh:
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    That if you swallowed watermelon seeds you'd grow a watermelon in your belly!
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I wasn't a little kid ( I was like in 8th grade when the movie came out) but I was convinced for a while that my life was actually being broadcast like the Truman Show.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I thought the term "you could be whatever you want to be" literally meant 'anything'. So I wanted to be shamu, a fairy, and a power ranger.
  • Perisylpha
    Perisylpha Posts: 139
    Options
    I believed my stuffed animals protected me when I slepted. :ohwell:

I believed that too! They made me feel more secure anyway. I was a very nervous child.