What is the craziest thing you believed to be true as a kid?

Options

Replies

• JoanneStone
    JoanneStone Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    New shoes made me run FASTER!
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    When I was a young kid I believed that a mouse lived under my bed and if I slept with my hand hanging off the sides he would bite me.

I believed a witch lived in my closet and would crawl out every night and watch me sleep.

If I kept my eyes closed - no harm could be done to me. Also if I surrounded myself completely by stuffed animals they would protect me.

When I was really really little I remember playing hide and seek and thought I could just cover my own eyes and no one could see me.

I thought the sign "slow children" meant that the kids in the neighborhood couldn't move very fast and thats why you had to be careful.

If you swallowed a watermelon seed (or really any seed) - a watermelon (or whatever) would grow in your belly.

My shadow was my twin - on the other side.

I bet I can think of a lot more!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    When I was little, one time while we were at church and we were saying the pledges, while I had my hand over my heart, I could feel my heart beating and thought something was wrong with me like something was broken inside of me or something. I was really worried about that! :laugh:
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    When I was really little, my mom convincend me that I had the power to turn red stoplights to green. She would wait until they were about to change and then tell me to wave my hands and say some magic words. I believed it for years.

awwww... so cute!!! love this!
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Monsters DID live under my bed. So, I would turn my light off and run as fast as I could and jump into bed. The I had to be under the covers because if any part was exposed they would get me!!

OH...and my stuffed animals were alive. So I took turns sleeping with each one so none of them would get their feelings hurt. To this day, I have a hard time getting rid of stuffed animals. Like Toy Story is my life!
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Monsters DID live under my bed. So, I would turn my light off and run as fast as I could and jump into bed. The I had to be under the covers because if any part was exposed they would get me!!

Covers were all powerful - no boogie monster could over power them.
  • TriciaZ944
    TriciaZ944 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I grew up around a lot of farms. My dad had us kids convinced there was hill cows... Hill cows had two legs shorter so they could stand on the hill.

I also would not allow my feet to hang out of the covers for fear that something would grab them

I also thought that after my grandpa died he could still receive all my cards that I would make him...I would put them in my window thinking he would fly down and pick them up.
  • babygurl48
    Options
    My mom used to tell me and my brother, I was about 5 , my brother, 7 , that babies came on a GIANT SHIP from far away. They brought the babies to the hospital and that's why she had to go to the hospital with my dad to "pick" which baby she wanted. I believed this till I was almost 10..lol.. My aunt told me otherwise!! So naive!..lol..
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Well my mom told us a lot of crazy stuff that we all believed way longer than necessary.

1. She told us if we peed in the pool it would turn green and everyone would know you peed in the pool and would be banned forever. Apparently this is true but she admitted it was a lie when I was TWENTY.

2. If I went to sleep dreaming I was a power ranger I would wake up a power ranger.

3. My stuffed animals got up and played at night without me.

4. Monsters lived in the sewers and would pull you in if you walked too close.

5. Firemen lived in the fire hydrant.

6. Dogs were boys and cats were girls.

7. Babies just happened to randomly grow in a woman's tummy and then crawl out their belly button.

8. Inside our bodies looked like orange juice.

9. My grandpa went to hell instead of heaven... pretty sure my mom told me that one too.

10. Michael Jackson was a magician.

ETA: we also wouldn't eat the crust from the bread and our mom told us that in prison all they give you to eat is breat crusts and water. I believed that one til I was about 14.
  • 2blueeyedbabies
    Options
    I thought Jaws lived in our pool
  • babygurl48
    Options
    Just remembered... lol.. my hubby used to tell my boys when they were small like 5 and under that is they ate baby onions they would get hair on their chest!..lol.. It still makes me smile. Btw, my boys are now 18 and 16.
  • paulasue145
    paulasue145 Posts: 157
    Options
    When I was 8 yrs old... My older sister was getting ready to turn 16. My brothers teased her about getting pregnant. Well, in my 8 yr old brain, I thought girls automatically became pregnant on their 16th birthday!

Ahahahahahahaha!!!!! thank Goodness that wasn't true!
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options

Me too! I will also admit that I still jump into bed and will not let my feet hang off for any reason! I know, I need to grow up!
  • anabell31
    anabell31 Posts: 268
    Options
    When I was 8 yrs old... My older sister was getting ready to turn 16. My brothers teased her about getting pregnant. Well, in my 8 yr old brain, I thought girls automatically became pregnant on their 16th birthday!

Ah, that reminds me!! My best friend's younger sister made the connection that marriage=pregnancy, so she decided she would never get married because she never wanted to be pregnant. That took a long time to straighten out XD
  • ricochette55
    ricochette55 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I used to walk home from school with my babysitter's son and there was this huge ant pile on the way. He told me (and I believed him) that they were flying ants and that they couldn't get you if you just walk over the ant pile. But if you jump over it, that's when the ants would fly up and get you. So mean :(
  • Alexis14351
    Alexis14351 Posts: 23
    Options
    Just remembered... lol.. my hubby used to tell my boys when they were small like 5 and under that is they ate baby onions they would get hair on their chest!..lol.. It still makes me smile. Btw, my boys are now 18 and 16.

My dad said that about any food that had a little kick to it haha I still wonder why I would eat if after he said that, as if I wanted a hairy chest... :ohwell:

I had a friend that believed that our bodies were empty and when you ate your body would fill up until you were too full, that's what makes you throw up.

I thought cartoons were people in lined costumes. I was dumb.
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    My sister told me V8 juice was made out of kitten and puppy blood. My dad loved V8 so it freaked me out.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I used to think eggs were dairy, since they were with the milk and cheese and whatnot :laugh:
  • paulasue145
    paulasue145 Posts: 157
    Options

Ah, that reminds me!! My best friend's younger sister made the connection that marriage=pregnancy, so she decided she would never get married because she never wanted to be pregnant. That took a long time to straighten out XD

LOL, That's hilarious!!!!
    I'm sure I thought that too at some point!
    I also remember thinking that once a girl starts her period, It Never stops! Ever!!! LOL Gees, I have 2 boys...I wonder what things they are thinking....
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options

Me too! I will also admit that I still jump into bed and will not let my feet hang off for any reason! I know, I need to grow up!

Most of the beds I have owned were just box springs & mattresses or just a mattress on the floor (even to this day). The movie Little Monsters messed me up as a kid.