Does anyone else NOT do a "cheat" day?

Options

Replies

• imkegoal
    imkegoal Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I started off not having a cheat day, but found it difficult to keep to my diet, so after 2 months I started having cheat days. I don;'t go way over normally- it just allows me to have a take away once in a while and a wine without having to find time to work out for it.

The cheat days are always on Fridays- after weigh in. The amount I go over on calories is generaly less than what I have stayed under the rest of the week anyway. I don't think it is a bad thing to do. In fact; in weightwatchers they allow for this by having 'weekly points', which you can eat which ever day you want.

I am 4 months in now and lost 12 Kilo (26 pounds) so it works for me.

Am struggling at the moment though, as I had a cheat WEEK whilst on holiday and although I only gained a little weight (1 pound), it feels like I have to start all over again now! My body is tired, I feel hungry etc.- so I think I can conclude that too many cheat days in a row leads to an imbalance of your sugar levels and simply isn't worth it!
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    I don't, if I want something or if I know we are going out or having a takeaway I plan it into my day otherwise for me as well one cheat day would turn into another!
  • kiwilass
    kiwilass Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    No cheat days here - just add into cals. I work on the principal all good in moderation (and not daily)
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    No I don't have a diet I have a lifestyle- and I don't want to cheat myself out of my goals.
    I have a fast day.
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I do not have a "Cheat day" but reward myself with a meal of whatever I want - Pizza / chinese etc... This is usually on a saturday after burning enough calories to compensate for the meal. Very rarely do I go over my calories (usually non-training days) so why not!
  • AmberCHM
    AmberCHM Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    No cheat day here. I hear a lot of people suggest cheat days once a week so that you don't deprive yourself or that they need a cheat day to keep their sanity...I don't get it. Eat what you want, but work it into your calories for the day. Of course, everyone will do what they feel is best for them; personally, I see no need for a designated cheat day........except for major holidays with yummy food! I take the day off of logging for those and those alone. So I guess I do have about 3 cheat days a year :)
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    I dont have cheat days either. I always work it into my calories. If at the beginning of the week I kow Im going out for a nice dinner on the weekend, then I try and stay around 150 - 200 cals under my goal every day of the week so I can have a good feed with a glass or 2 of wine without the worry :-)
  • Lukasmum1
    Lukasmum1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't consider having food that is perceived as 'bad' for you - e.g small amounts of chocolate as 'cheating'.

I build these in to my daily intake as a snack, and stay below my calorie intake with other healthy food choices.

I would consider a 'cheat day' to be one where I intentionally lie about my intake. I don't do this because as stated by many here - one becomes two , then more and more, and would make the whole reason I am on this journey pointless.
    I also don't make it up with extra exercise - as I do not eat in to my exercise calories at all - they are a bonus.

I feel responsible more now than ever for what I put in to my system, as it reflects in my completion of my daily food diary, and how I feel physically, mentally and emotionally.
  • Dawna954
    Dawna954 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal. A day is too long and too tempting to make it 2 days.
  • Spudeata
    Spudeata Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I eat what I feel my body wants, but whatever I do is incorporated into my daily allowance - for me, this is about making it a way of life, it's not a diet, I am working for a balanced approach. I generally have a very clean diet, Saturday night I may have something that is out of 'my' ordinary, but that is always factored in.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    My brain is unable to allow me a cheat day at all. In fact I don't even have a rest day. If I stop doing what I am doing then I will find an excuse NOT to start it up again the next day. SO I've trained myself to be strong & not cheat or rest. I have always been this way & that's the kind of attitude that has allowed me to workout for almost 100 days in a row so far & lose almost 20kg in that time.

I've been this way always, that's how I gave up smoking when I was younger, I just stopped. Also how I gave up drinking Coke.... one day I just stopped. Simple. BUT if I stop doing this then I will stop for good. So I trained to stop being lazy, stop making excuses for not working out & stop having a reason to eat the wrong things :)
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I do not have a cheat day. If I am craving something I work it into my calories and/or exercise my butt of that day. I am just curious, does anyone else not do a cheat day?
    I eat whatever I want and comp the calories with exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This... Except when I don't exercise it off and am just over. I'm pretty lax.
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Sorry didn't read all
    Why use a word Cheat? If you want to eat something have it use your calories for it if it's a special meal allow for it make sensible choices bit what I did read was people saying
    ' I eat stuff that's not part of my diet' this shouts failure as if you exclude food you like you'll fail
    I know been there done it yoyoed it
    Eat anything you like in moderation then you need no cheat days as you never feel your missing out no foods evil or bad
    Life's to short to be so very strict just don't eat rubbish all the time eat healthy as you can and exercise
  • SanDFit
    SanDFit Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't have one anymore. I try to eat within my daily calorie allowance. When I first joined MFP I used to have a cheat weekend and wasn't losing any weight. So I have realized that my body needs me to be good everyday.
  • DawnM62
    DawnM62 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    No, No cheat days sometimes I fall off the healthy plan but generally I do extra exercise to allow me a little or not so little treat
  • carolbaker000
    carolbaker000 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I find my system objects if I have any junk food now. I normally plan my week and shop for it.
    Weaknesses for me are long car drives or if my routine goes to pot.
    This week, I had to run some errands and missed dinner. Decided that a takeaway was in order.
    Paid for it big time. Made my tum feel really heavy for 24 hours. I was really thirsty and had indigestion too.

No fun in that kind of cheating.

I do like a couple of squares of chocolate almost daily but I work that into my allowance or earn it through more exercise.

Whatever works for you.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    if cheat day is going over calories/not logging for a day intentionally - nope dont have those.

but I eat "cheat" food aaaall the time.. just make sure I have the calorie allowance for it :P
  • TheAshpie
    TheAshpie Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I don't have a cheat day. For me, one cheat day turns into two cheat days and before I know it I have ruined a whole week with bad decisions. Once I cheat it's hard for me to get back on track.

This is exactly why I'm giving up cheat days! I wanted to be able to have them once a month but it always turns into me slipping up and then taking two weeks to recover and get back into my routine of things.
  • SmartWhatever
    SmartWhatever Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    No cheat day for me ever! I'll exercise to make up for what I feel I want, and if I don't exercise- I don't eat it. Personally, I feel like the only thing I'll be cheating on is myself and the progress that I've made, so I just don't do it.
  • ryliejaiden
    ryliejaiden Posts: 68
    Options
    I don't do it. Honestly, I don't understand the concept.
    "Cheat" foods make me feel like crap anyway, and my body definitely punishes me if I eat junk.

I don't really get why someone would want to cheat. It defeats everything you're here for.
    People say they do it so that they don't fall off the wagon because they are craving junk and then binge. I haven't had junk food in a while and I don't crave it at all anymore. You just have to be strong and stick it out!
    The only time I'll go over on my calories is if I'm under for the week. Like this week I exercised so much that I have over 4000 calories to eat before 12AM on Sunday and my daily allowance is 1300 so I will go over a bit this weekend, but be under for the week.

There's nothing wrong with working a piece of chocolate into your diet, but there's no reason to binge once a week.