Does anyone else NOT do a "cheat" day?

Options

Replies

• marydee72
    marydee72 Posts: 51
    Options
    I do not have a cheat day. One cheat leads to a binge which leads to complete hell.

Cheat days are not worth it.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I do not have a cheat day. If I am craving something I work it into my calories and/or exercise my butt of that day. I am just curious, does anyone else not do a cheat day?

thats what I do also .....if i fancy something I buy it and work the next days cals around having it :) ive recently upped my cals so treats can be more often due to the extra 300 cals Ive gained per day lol
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I dont have cheat days and I dont give in to cravings. Hard at times when friends or family have junk food but so far I have stayed away.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    No. To me it defeats the purpose of what I'm doing, mentally.

When I want something (pot stickers), I eat them. I just try not to eat them very often.
  • EvieNieves
    EvieNieves Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sunday is my cheat day. Mainly because that seems to be the day that people I know like to plan BBQ, birthdays, mothers day, other holidays, special events.... I hate to have to turn down every little thing. I do control myself though....meaning I wont overeat or overindulge either, I will just allow myself to have a burger, have ribs, or pizza, but like 1 -2 servings. Not 6 slices of pizza! So for me cheat day is my casual eating day not my PIG out day lol. So far I have lost 10 lbs in 50 days on MFP with diet and exercise with having my casual Sundays and have done fine :)
  • EvieNieves
    Options
    Oh forgot to mention I do eat small snacks, beverages etc that people may consider cheating but I make sure i am still within my goals. Just on Sundays I allow my self to go over my goals if I have to.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day once a week where I go 400-600 calories over. It's called calorie spiking and it actually helps with weight loss. The next day I go right back to staying at or under my calorie goal.
  • EchoOfYourPast
    EchoOfYourPast Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I do not....i try to eat the best i can .....but if it is something that i want that is not as good for me...i can eat it...i just try to stay in my calorie range :) Just trying to get myself where i am making better choices for a lifetime...
    San :)
  • Samstudent88
    Samstudent88 Posts: 135
    Options
    I don't do cheat days, and I feel very guilty when I don't exercise...or if I don't feel like I've done enough.
    I do however find healthier versions of a "cheat " food...like if I feel like having chocolate....I'll eat almonds coated in dark chocolate but in moderation.

Lately, I find very unhealthy food repulsive...like I'll go get take out for my bf and i can't stand the smell of it.
  • imkegoal
    imkegoal Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Having read a lot of logs, but not all, I am surprised one thing isn't mentioned.

Having talked about it with my friend at the gym this morning (and burned 922 calories to make up for my cheat day yesterday! ;) ) one thing we agreed on is that a cheat day makes sence when you are part of a family, as not everyone has to 'obey' to your healthy lifestyle all of the time.

I have had 3 chinese takeaways since December. each because my husband wanted to have a chinese take away with me, as I am not too bothered myself. I could have said: you have one dear', I will just sit here with my salad', but I don't think thats fair on him.

It's give and take. yesterday we had an indian on my cheat day. We have enough left for another day, so rather than finishing it off today my hubbie was quite happy to have a salad in stead today, and freeze the rest for another Friday.

When you live with a partner and or kids, It isn't just about YOU maintaining your new lifestyle, it is also about the your family. Mine have a lot more patience with my diet if I join in with their indulgences once in a while (last week it was a McDonalds meal with my daughter, however, this was after we'd been iceskating for 2 hours)
  • goblynn
    goblynn Posts: 152
    Options
    I don't have a "cheat" day either. For me, it works better just to eat what I want but just have a bit or CHOOSE to turn it down.

My co-worker gave me a cookie the other day. I really wanted to eat it but choose to eat half instead. Since I have NO willpower against over-eating, I left the other 1/2 w/ her as I knew I would eat it if it was sitting on my desk.

And, I love french fries, so I ate one. However, after adding it into my diary, I don't think I will choose to eat another.

What I find really surprising is my "favorite" foods are now not seeming so appealing to me, not after I see how many calories they take from me. I'm finding healthier substitutes and feel great about. If I go over my goal by <100, I do not do any extra exercise.

If I know I have a party or somewhere to go where I will max out my calories, I plan a big exercise block to make up for it. Sometimes they aren't on the same day but usually just before or after.
  • EvieNieves
    Options
    I have a cheat day once a week where I go 400-600 calories over. It's called calorie spiking and it actually helps with weight loss. The next day I go right back to staying at or under my calorie goal.

Yes! It does help.my husband is in great shape and I'm the one that was never concerned about looking fit until now.... I remember freaking out on my first cheat day on MFP from a BBQ we went to and that's exactly what he told me....it's good to shock your body from time to time.. In 50 days I have lost 10 lbs! So it worked for me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Having read a lot of logs, but not all, I am surprised one thing isn't mentioned.

Having talked about it with my friend at the gym this morning (and burned 922 calories to make up for my cheat day yesterday! ;) ) one thing we agreed on is that a cheat day makes sence when you are part of a family, as not everyone has to 'obey' to your healthy lifestyle all of the time.

I have had 3 chinese takeaways since December. each because my husband wanted to have a chinese take away with me, as I am not too bothered myself. I could have said: you have one dear', I will just sit here with my salad', but I don't think thats fair on him.

It's give and take. yesterday we had an indian on my cheat day. We have enough left for another day, so rather than finishing it off today my hubbie was quite happy to have a salad in stead today, and freeze the rest for another Friday.

When you live with a partner and or kids, It isn't just about YOU maintaining your new lifestyle, it is also about the your family. Mine have a lot more patience with my diet if I join in with their indulgences once in a while (last week it was a McDonalds meal with my daughter, however, this was after we'd been iceskating for 2 hours)
    This makes sense. But to me, this isn't a "cheat day". Maybe it's just semantics, but often when folks (even dieting website descriptions) talk about cheat days it's a planned "gorging" or "refeeding" or "girls gone wild". This to me doesn't make sense. But yes, eating outside of the "bounds" of your own diet strategically because you're part of a family? That makes sense.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I didn't when I was losing.

In maintenance? Yes, I eat whatever I want on Saturday in any quantity.

Last Saturday I ate 4700 calories. Don't feel an ounce of guilt. I would have if I were still trying to lose, though.

I do exactly this...I also do not cheat when I have a goal...and I do cheat when I am maintaining...
    I also ate 5000 Cals last Saturday...and do not feel at all guilty...In fact It was a joy to log!
  • lizznagelmiller
    lizznagelmiller Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I used to have a cheat meal for my husband but now he is starting to embrace to healthy lifestyle so no more for me and it feels great :)
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I keep threatening to have one, but I always seem to chicken out. MIght have something to do with excellent progress I'm making I'm almost afraid to do it. I usually do what you do, If I want pizza or burgers or whatever I try and exercise longer that day. I thought I was going to go way over last night...I had McDonalds Angus burger, 10 piece nuggets, medium fries and a sundae and I was STILL 248 cals under. One of these days I'll have a real one,
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    No cheat days here, just work in treats regularly so I don't need a cheat day, when I get down to 1200 calories perhaps that will change :)
  • misssephy
    misssephy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I do not have a cheat day. If I am craving something I work it into my calories and/or exercise my butt of that day. I am just curious, does anyone else not do a cheat day?
    I eat whatever I want and comp the calories with exercise.

Same here, I don't see the point in denying yourself something that you really want. If you do it just makes you grow disillusioned. Much better to work it in and do the exercise so you can have a treat and be happier.
  • skcornett
    skcornett Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days because it is a quick slide into bad habits for me. I am also a fan of "everything in moderation" so that is what I practice. Last Saturday, I worked my *kitten* off at the gym so I could enjoy a cupcake on Saturday afternoon. In order for this to truly become a lifestyle for me, I have to make my favorites fit into my daily/weekly routine without undoing everything else I do.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Nope. I'm not "on a diet" so there is no such thing as cheating. I pretty much eat what I want, I just make sure it fits within my goals or I walk off the excess.