If you have an amazing body you are clearly OBSESSED

Options
jcomley1
jcomley1 Posts: 133
I was speaking to a friend about what we find attractive in a guy - in terms of body shape. I like a guy to be pretty cut and ripped. i work hard at my body, and I would love to have a guy who knows about fitness and can work out with me and keep each other motivated etc.

She said that she would rather have an averagely built guy because guys with amazing bodies are obsessive about their bodies , diet and ultimately obsessed with themselves- because a certain degree of obsession ( i prefer the term devotion...) is necessary to get that ripped.
What do you ladies think?? what are you observations ? Would you prefer a less awesomely built guy so you dont feel like you are competing with his gorgeous frame or pressured to look as good?

But also just interested to know if you guys would deem yourself obsessed with your bodies? and if you think the same about girls who have amazing bodies and weigh their food, and gym all the time etc, etc. :smile:

Replies

• HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call it "obsessed" as that to me is a negative word. I'd just call it taking pride in your appearance.
    I could be attracted to anybody as long as they were healthy, but having somebody fit & muscular is definitely a bonus! I wouldn't feel pressured to look good, and if somebody had the same goals as me, that would be amazing!
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I think there is definitely a happy-medium. Caring about your health and fitness is a very admirable and attractive quality. It also shows the ability to be disciplined and self-motivated - more sexy qualities.

Where it becomes unhealthy imo is when it interferes with other priorities in his life. Compulsively exercising, trying to control what everyone else eats or does/being overly critical.

I guess for me the sexy body is just a bonus, give me an ambitious, manly mind. :love:
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I use the word obsessed a lot...and get a lot of slack for it...I don't think obsession is a bad thing...because I guess I view it as determination.

As far as a guys body...idk. It's the person and having a great body may or may not make the person self centered. That's more of a personality trait vs dedication or obsession. I prefer the man who loves me (hubs) regardless of his shape or size...although he does look great.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    To a certain extent, maybe. I wouldn't call it an obsession, though, since that implies its a mental issue of some sort. Most people with amazing bodies do work hard to keep it that way so they'll be active, in the gym on a schedule, eating healthy probably 80% of the time, etc etc. So if you can't join them on some of that, then you're not involved in a big part of their life.

I'm the opposite. I'm not a big fan of dating fat or unhealthy people. Same goes for smokers or heavy drinkers. I'm not even ripped or shredded but I don't like to date people who have an unhealthy lifestyle. I can't be with someone who's idea of a fun time is watching the game eating pizza wings and beer every few days. I'm also aware that I could just not eat the bar food, which is what happens, but then I look like a weirdo to his friends. I dated a guy like this once. He never worked out and didn't even make any effort to take care of himself. I tried to encourage it a bit by inviting him to the gym with me or to go for a run but I'd get the "I'm tired blah blah blah". So that didn't work out.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It depends on the individual. Someone can look amazing and not be vain, just like someone can look... uh... less than amazing and still be vain. Feeling pride in one's appearance - knowing you look good and knowing you work hard to look good - is one thing. Thinking that makes you better than anyone else is something entirely different.

But it really boils down to compatibility. If someone is big into clean eating and needs to hit the gym every day without fail, he wouldn't be a good match for a pizza loving slacker like me. Plus, the older I get, the more I realize that looks just don't matter. What turns your head isn't nearly as important as what keeps your heart.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I've never been attracted to a really muscular man, although I am very fond of the muscles my dh has. I'd prefer practical muscles, for doing things with, than ones just for posing. Luckily my dh has no idea he is good looking or he might have been 'taken' already when I met him :laugh:
  • jcomley1
    Options
    I totally agree with everything said here.
    People have called me "obsessive" about fitness and healthy eating, and to be honest, it really annoys me. Fitness is my hobby. Some people paint, I lift heavy things. :laugh: My mother says to me "at the gym again?!!!" like I am coming from a strip club. haha!

And although I see were my friend was coming from, i think you need to look for someone who is passionate about some of the things you are passionate about. It would become a huge problem for me in a relationship if I was buying healthy food and eating healthy, and my bf was eating ben and jerry's continuously and eating macdonalds on a bi weekly basis.
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I use the word obsessed a lot...and get a lot of slack for it...I don't think obsession is a bad thing...because I guess I view it as determination.

As far as a guys body...idk. It's the person and having a great body may or may not make the person self centered. That's more of a personality trait vs dedication or obsession. I prefer the man who loves me (hubs) regardless of his shape or size...although he does look great.

agree with jen. i am obsessed, i will admit it. my husband isn't as obsessed as i am as he doesn't have the time, because of his work schedule at the moment. i love him ripped, average or flabby. however, when i met him- he was extremely fit and muscular. he wasn't obsessed though- it was his love of keeping fit, working out, hiking, free diving etc- that made him this way- not how his body looked. i don't think i would like a guy who was more concerned than i was about how his body looked. just like i wouldn't like it if he took longer than i did to do his hair. hope this makes sense, it's early and my coffee hasn't kicked in yet. lol!
  • jcomley1
    Options

agree with jen. i am obsessed, i will admit it. my husband isn't as obsessed as i am as he doesn't have the time- because of his work schedule at the moment. i love him ripped, average or flabby. however, when i met him- he was extremely fit and muscular. he wasn't obsessed though- it was his love of working out- hiking, free diving etc that made him this way- not how his body looked. i don't think i would like a guy who was more concerned than i was about how his body looked. just like i wouldn't like it if it took longer than i did to do his hair. hope this makes sense, it's early and my coffee hasn't kicked in yet. lol!

I would love to find a guy who has an amazing body because he enjoys doing things like hiking and free diving etc. *sigh* bet you got the last available one. :ohwell:
  • sweetmelissa40
    Options

agree with jen. i am obsessed, i will admit it. my husband isn't as obsessed as i am as he doesn't have the time, because of his work schedule at the moment. i love him ripped, average or flabby. however, when i met him- he was extremely fit and muscular. he wasn't obsessed though- it was his love of keeping fit, working out, hiking, free diving etc- that made him this way- not how his body looked. i don't think i would like a guy who was more concerned than i was about how his body looked. just like i wouldn't like it if he took longer than i did to do his hair. hope this makes sense, it's early and my coffee hasn't kicked in yet. lol!

I agree with all this AND hoping the coffee has kicked in for you because I'm caffeine free and now have the worst craving!!
    Enjoy it for me, please!!! :smile:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I can go for anything from average to competitive BBer, but I have noticed a difference in the lifestyles between the 'types'. The competitive BBer I dated would wake up and eat at 5am. The more relaxed guys were just in generally good shape from being active daily doing fun stuff. Both were hot in their own ways. I understand the 'obsession' aspect because I've been there. Doesn't bother me any! I want a great personality to go with the body. ^_^
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    i feel like a bb and so i worry a lot about how my body is looking. I could never be with someone who doesn't watch their calories. They would find me really annoying weighing everything i eat :noway:
  • jcomley1
    Options
    i feel like a bb and so i worry a lot about how my body is looking. I could never be with someone who doesn't watch their calories. They would find me really annoying weighing everything i eat :noway:

Haha , mentioned that i was going to buy a scale and start weighing my food...oh the loooooookkkkkksss :noway: But hell I am going to do it anyway!!!!
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    For me..after my first trip to afghanistan back in 2009 the gym and my nutrition were the only things that made sense to me anymore, I wouldnt say Im obsessed with it, it just keeps my head together and I look good for it but thats just the natural course of years of training
  • buckeyeheat
    buckeyeheat Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think that's what people say when they're not focused on a fit body. It makes them feel better about not caring that much about their bodies. I used to do it too. Now that I care I realize it's not being obsessed, it's just not constantly trying to keep yourself blind to reality. But that's what I think for most people that are into fitness. There are plenty of people out there that are obsessed and very vain about their bodies.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    It is the same as anybody who is really into their hobby. The hobby will take up a significant amount of their leisure time.
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    here's logic in my area: "oh you workout and stuff , you must be a self-obssessed arsehole who only wants to bang people."
    "and if you act like a nice person aswell you must have ulterior motives..."

This is obviously not true but people are going to steretype anyway...
  • Tzippy7
    Tzippy7 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    its dedication! but its not an unhealthy obsession. If anything, being healthy is something that i think is ok to be obsessive about. Honestly I would rather be with a guy who works out and is healthy even if he is not as attractive as someone who is lazy with a naturally fantastic body.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    here's logic in my area: "oh you workout and stuff , you must be a self-obssessed arsehole who only wants to bang people."
    "and if you act like a nice person aswell you must have ulterior motives..."

This is obviously not true but people are going to steretype anyway...

I happen to think you are a sweetheart...oh and Bacon.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on your outlook. I don't judge because I know it takes a lot of hard work to look good and build muscle but that's just not for me. I think its about how each person views exercise. My friends might think I'm obsessed because I run about 5 times a week but they don't exercise at all. For me, I might think someone that spends hours at the gym may be obsessed. It just comes down to where you are on the exercise spectrum.