If you have an amazing body you are clearly OBSESSED

Options

Replies

• scotslass
    scotslass Posts: 317
    Options
    I think it's amazing the hard work gone into their bodies and the food put into their mouths. To date someone with such devotion I think I'd be a bit worried that my body wasn't up to scratch in their eyes I suppose. I think people can be obessed but I also think there is a happy medium x
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    The hate for Ben & Jerry's in this thread makes me sad.

Dedication is a good thing. Obsession is a bad thing. The problem is, most people don't understand the difference.

I have 2 tubs of Ben & Jerries in my freezer, a packet of dairy milk caramel pieces and cadburys chocolate fingers in the cupboard, to be devoured tonight.

Again, stereotyping.
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I think that being determined is a great thing, both personally and professionally BUT I do have some friends that take it to the extreme like going on a never ending guilt trip bc they ate a damn cookie. THAT is not healthy, no pun intended.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I think it's more about being jealous that they DON'T have the devotion to be in that great of shape!!

And also THIS ^^^

I've been getting this kind of stereotyping from people in real life & it drives me nuts really. In all my honesty my food diary also has some chips, chocolates & processed foods on some days. They never understand the value of hard work which explains why nothing good is happening on themselves.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I think that being determined is a great thing, both personally and professionally BUT I do have some friends that take it to the extreme like going on a never ending guilt trip bc they ate a damn cookie. THAT is not healthy, no pun intended.

I have friends that go out and get wasted every weekend.

So what? Doesn't mean everyone who likes a drink does the same.
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options

Dedication is a good thing. Obsession is a bad thing. The problem is, most people don't understand the difference.

That is correct, my friend...
  • skybird455
    skybird455 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Funnily enough, you don't have to be utterly obsessed to get a good body. Its just another stereotype.

Kinda like saying all fat people are fat because they are fat glutenous pigs who are fat because they are just greedy, selfish centre individuals who have no caring for the health implications of their life styles.

As with all aspects of life, its far from black and white...

ahhhh!! totally agree! Besides one could say when I was over weight I was OBSESSED with food and being lazy....I mean really? Taking care of yourself is not an obsession, its an obligation!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

I have 2 tubs of Ben & Jerries in my freezer, a packet of dairy milk caramel pieces and cadburys chocolate fingers in the cupboard, to be devoured tonight.

Again, stereotyping.
    Exactly. Over the last year I've dropped 60 pounds of fat, then turned around and added 7 pounds of lean mass. I've increased my running endurance, I've set personal records on all of my lifts (they are still pathetically low, because I was horribly weak when I started :laugh: ) and I've eaten ice cream almost every day. Again, I think that's part of the difference between healthy dedication and unhealthy obsession.
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    i will say that my current bf used to be "average" - not chubby, not cut/extra fit - and he was not obsessed with his looks or anything. fast forward to last year, he started to get interested in leaning down and becoming more fit and in the beginning i would get so irritated because he started to become more and more into his own looks.. i would catch his flexing and staring at his own arm and staring and posing in front of the mirror. i was so annoyed.. i finally said something to him about it and he stopped doing it (around me at least, lol). now he is still fit but not as obsessive with his looks as he was last year.

i think we do become "obsessed" with our looks when we are first dieting/getting fit because that's how we judge our own progress! but i don't think everyone stays that obsessive.. and i don't think everyone that is fit/cut/lean is egotistical.
  • adamlb
    adamlb Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If you work at a desk all the time you don't get chance to really build much fitness through daily activity so it does take a bit of conscious effort (gym, diet, etc) to improve your body - I think the true obsessives are quite small in number though. Can't say I've ever seen anyone turned down for looking "too fit," mind!
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with trying to develop an amazing body and always failing. :mad:
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I met my husband in a powerlifting gym 30 years ago, and we have always had weightlifting in common, we both go to the gym 6 days a week, which I think is normal, so a litttle bit obsessed is a good thing ..
  • FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I disagree but that's a different point.

I'm curious what exactly you disagree with.

IMO it depends a lot on genetics to determine whether or not you need to be obsessive to get a stellar physique.

This.
    I don't like the genetics argument.
    Neither do I!
  • FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I would call it being dedicated to living healthy and improving yourself.
  • delco714
    delco714 Posts: 229
    Options
    I agree with above^^^ It's dedication (for me anyway) not obsession..

and i agree with

"To a certain extent, maybe. I wouldn't call it an obsession, though, since that implies its a mental issue of some sort. Most people with amazing bodies do work hard to keep it that way so they'll be active, in the gym on a schedule, eating healthy probably 80% of the time, etc etc. So if you can't join them on some of that, then you're not involved in a big part of their life. "

If I'm dedicated.. then to me any one who goes further than I do is obsessed... Doesnt mean we dont have obsessive tendencies here and there, but you have to keep it balanced! The people who usually say youre obsessed are the ones who know nothing more than physical appearance.. they dont understand how the body works and what the proper diet/exercise does for you nutritionally, mentally, and physically.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I was speaking to a friend about what we find attractive in a guy - in terms of body shape. I like a guy to be pretty cut and ripped. i work hard at my body, and I would love to have a guy who knows about fitness and can work out with me and keep each other motivated etc.

She said that she would rather have an averagely built guy because guys with amazing bodies are obsessive about their bodies , diet and ultimately obsessed with themselves- because a certain degree of obsession ( i prefer the term devotion...) is necessary to get that ripped.
    What do you ladies think?? what are you observations ? Would you prefer a less awesomely built guy so you dont feel like you are competing with his gorgeous frame or pressured to look as good?

But also just interested to know if you guys would deem yourself obsessed with your bodies? and if you think the same about girls who have amazing bodies and weigh their food, and gym all the time etc, etc. :smile:

I've actually said the very thing she said but i've changed my mind. The love of my life is pretty damn ripped and he's a sweetheart--i think he's perfect..not "obsessed" but committed, like me. I mean, yes it puts more pressure on me but it's internal--it's not coming from him.

Same goes for girls who do those things--I think that IF they will not go out on social outings, eat "bad" food, or freak out about unknown calories then YES they are pretty obsessed. I don't consider myself OBSESSED but more aware than the average person. I eat junk food, workout like a beast, and yeah I care if my clothes get tight.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options

So you don't believe that certain people are more predisposed to be lean while others are predisposed to the other end of the spectrum? Not trolling, curious for realz.
  • delco714
    delco714 Posts: 229
    Options

So you don't believe that certain people are more predisposed to be lean while others are predisposed to the other end of the spectrum? Not trolling, curious for realz.

that's the truth. there's a genetic code for the absorption of fat in the digestion system. those who digest less have less heart disease and are leaner.. and of course you have those ethnicities with a higher baseline metabolic rate.. Genes are just as prominent as jeans
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    "Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated."
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

Not to the extent that you suggest, and not to the extent where most people say they'll always be chubby/skinny because of genetics.