If you have an amazing body you are clearly OBSESSED

Options

Replies

• deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on the guy. It's like assuming all skinny guys are nerds lol.
    I love muscles but I have seen some real self centered jerks at the gym but I've also met short spindly self centered jerks as well.
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Before I started dieting, I never cared about what I ate or how I looked. I wasn't self-obsessed at all.

How come women weren't all over me ?????
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    here's logic in my area: "oh you workout and stuff , you must be a self-obssessed arsehole who only wants to bang people."
    "and if you act like a nice person aswell you must have ulterior motives..."

This is obviously not true but people are going to steretype anyway...

I happen to think you are a sweetheart...oh and Bacon.

:flowerforyou: <-- pretend that flower is bacon :smile: ( this site really needs a offer up bacon emote)
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    IMO it depends a lot on genetics to determine whether or not you need to be obsessive to get a stellar physique. I'm an endomorph, so I would. I have been pretty diligently working out and controlling my diet for over a year now, and am still not anywhere near ripped. My body is just naturally inclined to stay fatty. In order to shred, it will take a level of dedication that will, necessarily, be obsessive. Or, I can just get strong as hell and never cut up. That's up to me to decide.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed. I admit it. LOL And I agree with OP. If my husband was sitting on the couch and choking down Ben & Jerry's and wasn't as "committed" to fitness as I am, there would be a problem. The key to a successful "obsession" is balance. My fitness regimen is definitely a priority but if a higher priority bumps it, I have to learn to relax a bit too and not get all stressed that I'm not following my plan. (It doesn't happen often... mostly because I usually find ways to work around the obstacles and get done what I need to do fitnessw-wise.)
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    IMO it depends a lot on genetics to determine whether or not you need to be obsessive to get a stellar physique. I'm an endomorph, so I would. I have been pretty diligently working out and controlling my diet for over a year now, and am still not anywhere near ripped. My body is just naturally inclined to stay fatty. In order to shred, it will take a level of dedication that will, necessarily, be obsessive. Or, I can just get strong as hell and never cut up. That's up to me to decide.

I disagree but that's a different point.

It wouldn't bother me if the girl I was dating wasn't particularly interested in fitness, provided she was relatively healthy. I don't expect someone else to weigh their food like I do, otherwise that'd be two weirdo's in one relationship, where there is only space for one - me. :laugh:

But I think there is this perception that men who are cut are self absorbed. I'm sure there are some, just like there are some fat people who are self absorbed, skinny people etcetc.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Funnily enough, you don't have to be utterly obsessed to get a good body. Its just another stereotype.

Kinda like saying all fat people are fat because they are fat glutenous pigs who are fat because they are just greedy, selfish centre individuals who have no caring for the health implications of their life styles.

As with all aspects of life, its far from black and white...
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    i feel like a bb and so i worry a lot about how my body is looking. I could never be with someone who doesn't watch their calories. They would find me really annoying weighing everything i eat :noway:

Haha , mentioned that i was going to buy a scale and start weighing my food...oh the loooooookkkkkksss :noway: But hell I am going to do it anyway!!!!

After I found MFP, I bought a cheapo food scale. It is now one of the most used appliances in my kitchen. Prior to MFP, I probably would have thought it was a bit much. But now, I look at it as just another handy device to help keep me on track.
  • jcomley1
    jcomley1 Posts: 133
    Options
    Funnily enough, you don't have to be utterly obsessed to get a good body. Its just another stereotype.

Kinda like saying all fat people are fat because they are fat glutenous pigs who are fat because they are just greedy, selfish centre individuals who have no caring for the health implications of their life styles.

As with all aspects of life, its far from black and white...

AfreakingMEN!

People dont realise I actually ENJOY working out. Its not a chore- I love it, my day doesnt feel complete without it. Its more then about physical appearance for me. its about my sanity, being productive and doing something I really enjoy. It just so happens that my body benefits from the thing i enjoy...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    The hate for Ben & Jerry's in this thread makes me sad.

Dedication is a good thing. Obsession is a bad thing. The problem is, most people don't understand the difference.
  • angieshow3
    angieshow3 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It's just another stereotype. People thrive on all sorts of stereotypes. My finace is very in shape and his dedication and support have helped me to become more healthy on many levels.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Physically of course I want somebody who is active & has a 6 pack but it all boils down to attitude. My boyfriend is a runner but his body is what you call a "skinny-fat" while my body fat percentage falls somewhere in between athletic & fitness range. But still it doesn't matter to me if he has a six pack or not.

As for myself, I admit that I becoming more conscious now every time I look in the mirror naked or in bikini or sports bra-workout pants combo because I don't want to waste all the hardwork that I've done to get here but I'm not obssessed to the point that I would bring a measuring cup & a calculator with me everytime that I eat out. That's simply ridiculous for me.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options

I'm curious what exactly you disagree with.
  • jcomley1
    jcomley1 Posts: 133
    Options
    The hate for Ben & Jerry's in this thread makes me sad.

After years of love with Ben and Jerry. I now hate ben and jerry's not for their beautiful tasty cookie dough :love: and for the fact that I never stop wanting it in moments of weakness....but for the fat I am fighting to move off my *kitten* and abs. :sad:
    I need a man who says "babe, dont..." rather then, "I will get another spoon..."
  • dedication6
    dedication6 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I think it's more about being jealous that they DON'T have the devotion to be in that great of shape!!
  • TheDoctor90
    Options

I'm curious what exactly you disagree with.

IMO it depends a lot on genetics to determine whether or not you need to be obsessive to get a stellar physique.

This.
    I don't like the genetics argument.
  • angimac
    angimac Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I would love someone that I can go on runs with, go hiking with, do sports related activities,and when we go to the mountains, she doesn't sit on her duff, but gets out there with me, whatever it is whether snowboarding, climbing or whatever. I want someone active and strong. But, I don't want a gym rat or someone where there is no real point, just looking good. I think for me thats where the line is, looking good vs being healthy, strong and confident in yourself. I think it's sexy when a woman wants to be the latter. Gym rats, and mirror glaring people are annoying and probably trouble down the line (I'm stereo typing a little here).

Looking good is a by-product of proper nutrition and exercise, but it shouldn't be the end game, IMO. The end game for me is mobility. My kids motivated me more than anything. If we go snowboarding, I don't want to sit in the lodge and ask them later that evening if they had a good time. I want to be there with them sliding down the mountain. I don't want to be sitting on the beach watching them surf, I want to be surfing with them. So, that was kind of what got me going, for the most part. Plus, being overweight brings other problems that we all know about that I didn't want to deal with. I hate doctors that much where I finally decided I'd rather exercise than make doctor appointments. Lol.

Anyway, that's my $.02 on the topic.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated

EXACTLY....
  • TheDoctor90
    Options
    Gym rats, and mirror glaring people are annoying and probably trouble down the line (I'm stereo typing a little here).

Yes you are.
    You're also assuming that everyone has access to 'sport related activities' like the ones you mention.