If you have an amazing body you are clearly OBSESSED

Options

Replies

• hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    we have obsession in everything ranging from playing games, hobby, money, etc.... it just need to be control in healthy level
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I suppose it depends on the person. My SO/Ex/it's-complicated/whatever is extremely muscular (also a personal trainer) and he is addicted to the gym, rather than obsessed. He has an addictive personality, so it makes sense, I guess.. But number one priority each day is to work out. His diet is not strict by any means, but he works his *kitten* off enough to make up for it.

I feel "obsessed" is a strong word. Could easily be mistaken in your example as "dedicated".

Then again, what do I know. :P *Carries on...*
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I mean, I'm extremely far from a perfect body.. but I'm pretty obsessed with getting there. I would prefer a man that is just as committed to a healthy lifestyle and fitness as I am. Several guys I know have AMAZING bodies and compete as body builders or power lifters. Their world does revolve around diet/fitness/shape.. but they are still incredibly great guys... and I enjoy our time talking/hanging out/and working out together when we can.
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I think there is a difference between dedication and an obsession
    I have a friend that talks about the gym ALLLLL the time....nothing else comes out of her mouth except working out etc..she annoys the **** out of me!
    I dont know if she is trying to show off, or clearly obsessed
    My other GF who has done fitness shows etc and has an amazing body and is clearly very very dedicated doesnt talk about it half as much....
  • FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I don't like the genetics argument.

So you don't believe that certain people are more predisposed to be lean while others are predisposed to the other end of the spectrum? Not trolling, curious for realz.
    No genetics isnt a reason just an excuse.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options

So you don't believe that certain people are more predisposed to be lean while others are predisposed to the other end of the spectrum? Not trolling, curious for realz.

I suppose we will have to agree to disagree on that one. I have a couple of buddies who I have gone through the fitness process with. I rack up gainz faster than both of them, with us sticking to the same essential dietary plan and following the same workout protocols. When it comes time to cut, however, they both shed bf% like mad whereas I have a ***** of a time cutting down. I wholly believe (and a fair amount of science supports) that there are genetic predispositions. Notice I haven't ever said that any of them are insurmountable. I just think that people have advantages on one end of the spectrum or another, and end up having to work harder at one thing than another.
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I guess I'd consider myself pretty obsessive. I don't think it's a bad thing though!
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    To be completely honest, yes, I am a little obsessed with my appearance.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm older than many of you; maybe I've just had different life experiences... but I've spent time being obsessed and I've spent time being focused on other things that needed my attention at the time. I think a great quality is adaptability... recognizing that sometimes life happens to you and you have to work with what you have.

I have always been dedicated to achieving my goals. I've never set a goal I didn't achieve. But, for instance, when my husband fell from our balcony and broke his ribs, collapsed a lung and bruised his liver and was virtually immobile for a few weeks, I was pregnant with our first child, working full time and taking care of him. Not much time left for the gym or even meal planning. Maintaining health is a minimum, but maintaining an "ideal" body weight and ripped appearance is unnecessary when it comes at the expense of your family.

A few years later, my husband was killed in a motorcycle accident and I had a 4 year old and a 2 month old to care for while I grieved... getting in my workouts was the last thing on my mind.

Life has many ups and downs and if you choose a partner based on looks and commitment to fitness, you may be disappointed down the line when one person's commitment wavers and the other's doesn't. I would say I look more for the overcomer than the achiever. But that's me...

I'm happily remarried to a wonderful man who is not perfect, but he's an awesome husband and a great dad to my kids.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    When I first met my hubby he was built. It was certainly nice, but very intimidating and made me feel very insecure. Over the years his devotion to his body has turned into devotion to his work and providing for his family he now has, so his body has been let go. I'd rather have his devotion pointed to where it is now then his physical appearance, so I would say I go with the average body choice. His personality is still the same, and I love him more now than I did when he was built up. :)
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    "Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated."
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

I suppose we will have to agree to disagree on that one. I have a couple of buddies who I have gone through the fitness process with. I rack up gainz faster than both of them, with us sticking to the same essential dietary plan and following the same workout protocols. When it comes time to cut, however, they both shed bf% like mad whereas I have a ***** of a time cutting down. I wholly believe (and a fair amount of science supports) that there are genetic predispositions. Notice I haven't ever said that any of them are insurmountable. I just think that people have advantages on one end of the spectrum or another, and end up having to work harder at one thing than another.
    whether or not genetics play a role its irrelevant... there is no point to obsess over genetics because its unchangable. no point to think of what could have been if i had "great genetics" or whatever. to envy others only slows your own progress. if you want to try to level the playing field use steroids.. but using steroids out of purely vanity purposes is ridiculous and should be seen as a problem.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    As the saying goes....'obsessed' is the word that the lazy people use to describe the dedicated.

Of course, I personally think that the ideal person would be someone who can find the balance between being dedicated to leading a healthy lifestyle but also has the ability to live a little by letting loose every once in awhile... :)
  • FlyeredUp
    Options

Hey I use to think just like you and nothing wrong with disagreeing.:drinker: Different people have different genetic potentials but very few people are dedicated eough to reach their potential, and most never will. ( I'm 42 and I haven't reached mine and I doub't you have reached yours) So genetics in most cases isnt a factor. But I have heard it used as an excuse way too many times. Yes some people gain LM faster than others, and some people can lose BF faster but any healthy person that is dedicated enough to reach their potential will have a pretty impressive physique regardless of their genetics, age or sex. Genetics isnt an reason to fail just an excuse not to succeed!
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    There's a fine line between passion and obsession. The virtue is to know the difference.
  • FlyeredUp
    Options

whether or not genetics play a role its irrelevant... there is no point to obsess over genetics because its unchangable. no point to think of what could have been if i had "great genetics" or whatever. to envy others only slows your own progress. if you want to try to level the playing field use steroids.. but using steroids out of purely vanity purposes is ridiculous and should be seen as a problem.
    Great post!! Worry about what you can control, not what you cant!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options

There is a lot of really weird twisting of context of my original post going on here. All I stated was that achieving an "amazing" body (in most cases I think we can agree that for men this is based on a low bf% with a reasonable amount of LBM) presents different challenges for different people. I don't believe I ever expressed envy or obsessed over that topic. What I did say was that for me, achieving this aesthetic *ideal* would require a degree of dedication that I think would qualify as obsession. Whether or not I decide to put that much into the effort is, ultimately, up to me.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

There is a lot of really weird twisting of context of my original post going on here. All I stated was that achieving an "amazing" body (in most cases I think we can agree that for men this is based on a low bf% with a reasonable amount of LBM) presents different challenges for different people. I don't believe I ever expressed envy or obsessed over that topic. What I did say was that for me, achieving this aesthetic *ideal* would require a degree of dedication that I think would qualify as obsession. Whether or not I decide to put that much into the effort is, ultimately, up to me.
    Genetics is less than 10% of fitness. Somatotypes (endomorph, mesomorph, ectomorph,) are a myth, there's really no such thing. 80% of fitness is diet, and the other 10% is exercise.

So I agree with the poster who says genetics is an excuse, not a reason.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    i HATE when people try to put a % on diet vs. exercise. NOT TRUE. It's fallacious and misleading. Depends on the individual.
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I think she is only half right. I have met a ton of men who are like she described but I've also met many, including my husband, that are just dedicated and enjoy fitness. It's when every conversation, activity and meal in their lives revolve around physical fitness that it starts getting annoying.