When did this site become so judgmental ?

Options

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I've asked questions about certain things and people get so rude and nasty especially on food,fitness,and cleanses and juicing that type of stuff
    i just posted today asking one simple question about a dr.oz show i seen today and geez some people were rude saying dont listen to him etc i never once said i was doing what he suggest i was wondering if some people added some of his remedies to their exercise routine

I read that and didn't think anyone was being rude. Disagreement isn't rude. A lot of people on here are sensitive to that IMO

^^totally this.

I think the main problems here that otherwise makes you think judgmental are language barrier, close-mindedness & oversensitivity. Not all are native english speakers or speak & understand it very well. I'm not an english speaker & still struggling & so many times I need to re-read the whole post just to understand what they're trying to say. I speak of based on what I understand. Second is that we are so confined to our own thinking that anyone who disagrees with us are deemed rude & judgmental. Third is some of us are so sensitive like a 5 year old kid. Please grow up.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I've asked questions about certain things and people get so rude and nasty especially on food,fitness,and cleanses and juicing that type of stuff

Not to sound rude here but if you're going to bring up these weird & unhealthy approach then don't expect any positive response from people. Science has already proven that these fad diets, cleanses or juices don't work in the long run & all it do is to ruin your metabolism & make you fatter in the end. Just because some people are going against your point of view doesn't mean he is being rude or nasty. Admit it or not but that's the case with the majority & most of the time the reason why people are asking something about those weird stuff is because they will go for it & so if someone says any fad diets don't work, then he will think its rude. That's the problem here, we have the desire to be always right.

she didnt say she did cleanses or juicing ALL THE TIME, so dont JUDGE

facepalm...

I never said she actually do that, I just say that the majority ask it because they're PLANNING to do it & which is why don't expect any postive response. Sheesh next time READ FIRST BEFORE YOU COMMENT
  • Neecy_Pooh
    Neecy_Pooh Posts: 122
    Options
    I have been on myfitnesspal on and off for almost a year. When I first started I loved it. The people on here were extremely motivating, kind, and helpful. Now all of sudden there is so much criticism, people are being rude, judgmental, and outright mean sometimes. I'm seeing forum after forum of fighting and opinions that are just so nasty. When people are posting questions it's because they are looking for help, not to be attacked about everything they are doing wrong. This site has become full of know it all type people. Certain things work for some, while it doesn't work for everyone. I'm simply posting this as a reminder to be kind to people on here and help people as much as you can. motivation for our new lifestyle is key. keep myfitnesspal as a great place to lose weight and make new friends. Remember, we are all here for the same reason.

I agree!
  • Neecy_Pooh
    Neecy_Pooh Posts: 122
    Options
    Here is an idea...STAY OUT OF THE FORUMS!!!!! I don't come into here unless I see an interesting title in my newsfeed from a friend. If you just stick to just your friends, you will not encounter such behavior!!! RIght??
  • TeaRexParty
    TeaRexParty Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I had a college professor once make a statement that stuck with me about how "rude" has become the socially acceptable norm. On a forum this size you're bound to run into this. And while some people just don't care if they are rude and in fact feed on the drama, others don't even realize how they are coming across but will be defensive to the end if you try to point it out.

So unfortunately this post will probably be pretty ineffective towards it's target audience.

There may be some not so tactful people on here but trust me, after trying out a bunch of health forums last month trying to find a good one, this by far has the most welcoming people. I think we just have to ignore or block the others and not let it affect our perception of the forum as a whole.

halffulll.jpg
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Its like anything else on the internet. You have to wade through the other 95% to get to the 5% of stuff you use and like.

Once you find something you really like, it changes.

:bigsmile:
  • lfclancy
    lfclancy Posts: 46
    Options
    Completely agree! I know I am not perfect & that is way I am using this. We all are here for support.
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    great reminder post!!! :) thanks!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    What if I'm not here for the same thing?

^^This

We are not all here for the same things. Mindless cheerleading is for some, not all. There are people who want to learn, be challenged, question status quo & broscience, debate, etc.

That said... supply follows demand. 'Nough said.

This. I love learning new things and generally my friends have lots of information. I want to gather all the info and decide for myself what applies to my own journey. I don't mind getting differing opinions but sometimes that comes with people that are sarcastic and straight to the point. You just have to take the good with the bad and keep on going with your own thing.

Exactly. Differing opinions usually results in someone doing their homework. Appreciate that they are sharing what they've learned with you.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    It started getting judgmental about the same time that every new person posted the same question without using the search feature... so... pretty much when it was started... welcome to the internet, some people like to hold hands and encourage dumb behavior and some of us dislike stupid all together... it happens.

Those that run the site have stated that they prefer the "same old" questions be asked repeatedly and that "conversations happen". It's not stupid to have conversations.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Welcome to humanity.
  • Klamber26
    Klamber26 Posts: 212
    Options
    I had a college professor once make a statement that stuck with me about how "rude" has become the socially acceptable norm. On a forum this size you're bound to run into this. And while some people just don't care if they are rude and in fact feed on the drama, others don't even realize how they are coming across but will be defensive to the end if you try to point it out.

So unfortunately this post will probably be pretty ineffective towards it's target audience.

There may be some not so tactful people on here but trust me, after trying out a bunch of health forums last month trying to find a good one, this by far has the most welcoming people. I think we just have to ignore or block the others and not let it affect our perception of the forum as a whole.

halffulll.jpg

Love this!! lol.
  • Sierra_419
    Sierra_419 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    some people enjoy being *kitten*. brush it off & move on.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    are there any people here who are too sensitive? how can a stranger on the internet offend you? the only way a stranger can offend you is if you allow them too.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    THIS IS SPARTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this-is-sparta-7.jpg
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    I havent had but one person that I was friends with me, judge. I have had the COMPLETE opposite experience. I love this place! i love my friends... and I find it incredibly motivating, inspiring and helps me stay on track. The world is filled with *kitten*... I think there are VERY few here.
  • sinthebigcity
    sinthebigcity Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think the internet brews anonymity (sp?) which allows people a certain and sometimes inappropriate freedom to say whatever they think they are entitled to say. Sadly most of the time people say things in a manner than can often be harsh or misinterpreted and sometimes write things carelessly that they would not say or write in the same manner as they would if they were standing in front of the person.

Everyone is truly entitled to their own opinion, but in real life ... out side of that computer screen that we all are looking at in this moment... would you really type that insult or pass that judgement out loud ? Our common courtesy.. ergo our superego... spares the people in front of us from the harsh truths or badly stated thoughts in our mind.

I'm really glad that someone said something, being new to this site .. but not the internet of course... I tend search but not post because I quickly get turned off from forums and writing for that very reason.. *cheers* and thank you !
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Welcome to humanity.

Bottom line- controversy is good for the site. Encourages discussion, discourse and disagreement. More people see the ads and participate. All good. People that get hurt feelings might need to adjust the value they place on the supposed offending random stranger on the internet.
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have been on myfitnesspal on and off for almost a year. When I first started I loved it. The people on here were extremely motivating, kind, and helpful. Now all of sudden there is so much criticism, people are being rude, judgmental, and outright mean sometimes. I'm seeing forum after forum of fighting and opinions that are just so nasty. When people are posting questions it's because they are looking for help, not to be attacked about everything they are doing wrong. This site has become full of know it all type people. Certain things work for some, while it doesn't work for everyone. I'm simply posting this as a reminder to be kind to people on here and help people as much as you can. motivation for our new lifestyle is key. keep myfitnesspal as a great place to lose weight and make new friends. Remember, we are all here for the same reason.

I do have to say I completely agree with you. My way of dealing with all this is summed up in a phrase taken from an organization I belonged to a long time ago. "Do not be offensive and do not be easily offended." This philosophy has served me well for many years…