what to do when cals in vs cals out doesn't work? (long)

Options
1235»

Replies

• enyo123
    enyo123 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If he were my SO I would so kick him to the curb for posting something like this. Just my opinion.

Guess my husband should kick me to the curb, then, since he complains about his weight and I do my best to "fix it" for him.... I've even been known to *gasp* ask folks on the internet what I can do before finally realizing that I can't do anything to motivate him to work out; he has to do it himself.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I don't suppose that there's any chance of getting people to recognise that talking about this woman in the third person as if she were a pet project, and object to be poked and prodded is a teensy bit inappropriate?

Nah. Let's just carry on talking about her, and what's best for her, and what she might be thinking and feeling.... in her absence.

You are so annoying. You take things way too seriously. Nobody is trying to "poke or prod" at her, just giving advice based on the info he gave us. She's obviously in on this whole getting healthier thing, it isn't like he's sneaking diet pills into her drink. If I were having issues losing weight and my boyfriend posted this, I'd just be happy to get some advice.

Edit: To me, he is just acting as her personal trainer and also happens to be her boyfriend. Honestly, if he had changed the word "girlfriend" with "client" nobody would think twice about what he said.

Wow. A 12 year old finds me annoying.... How will I cope?

Let me go and reflect on her advice, based on her vast experience of personal relationships.... Yeah. That's what I'll do.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    *deleted*
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    And to add, 'refeeds' actually accomplish nothing from a biological standpoint. They are purely for psychological reasons.
    It will actually boost leptin levels substantially, which is probably of less value to women (whose leptin levels are already several times higher than men's), but can make a big difference for men who have been on a caloric/carb deficit for a while, and/or are at very low body fat. OTOH a carb-refeed coupled with high fat intake can erase any progress very quickly. I think there is definitely value there, in addition to the psychological aspect. Timing (should be after weight training) and macro content (should be low-fat) are important though.

Just my 2c.
    Actually, the leptin reset theory has been debunked. The effect is purely psychological. UponThisRock talked about it a while back, with some study links.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/531579--spike-day-nonsense
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    And to add, 'refeeds' actually accomplish nothing from a biological standpoint. They are purely for psychological reasons.
    It will actually boost leptin levels substantially, which is probably of less value to women (whose leptin levels are already several times higher than men's), but can make a big difference for men who have been on a caloric/carb deficit for a while, and/or are at very low body fat. OTOH a carb-refeed coupled with high fat intake can erase any progress very quickly. I think there is definitely value there, in addition to the psychological aspect. Timing (should be after weight training) and macro content (should be low-fat) are important though.

Just my 2c.
    Actually, the leptin reset theory has been debunked. The effect is purely psychological. UponThisRock talked about it a while back, with some study links.
    Thanks for that, it is always nice to see people presenting well-researched information.
    If Leptin levels remain elevator for ~24 hours, then if you refeed every other day, and carry a substantial deficit on non-refeed days, you should be able to maintain higher leptin levels while on a sustained weekly caloric deficit. Am I wrong?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Just my 2c.
    Thanks for that, it is always nice to see people presenting well-researched information.
    If Leptin levels remain elevator for ~24 hours, then if you refeed every other day, and carry a substantial deficit on non-refeed days, you should be able to maintain higher leptin levels while on a sustained weekly caloric deficit. Am I wrong?
    That's more intermittent fasting, than "refeeding."
  • MsFargo
    MsFargo Posts: 27
    Options
    I am one of those people that does better with LESS carbs and MORE protein. I also keep my cortisol in check with a saliva test through a company such as ZRT labs. Once I know my cortisol levels, it helps me to take action to reduce my stress levels.