HELP!!! or i am leaving

Options

Replies

• SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    WTG! That's the spirit! When struggles come your way, just give up!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh almost 300 pounds.

I didn't have much of a support system in real life or on here.

I have a special needs child, my marriage was failing (now over), I work full time, I am bipolar, and...

I did it anyway.

So, you have a couple of choices:

You can make excuses to not get in shape, or you can work your *kitten* off to get in shape.

Seems pretty simple to me.
  • FitForeverAgain
    FitForeverAgain Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Spent many fat and broke years earning that Master's Degree in CS w/ a Minor in Seeing Through Excuses. Graduation about 8 years ago was a great day.
    If you're still gaining, then you're still eating too much or not burning enough. Physics is physics, sister.

Energy In < Energy Out = Weight Gain

Pretty simple, but the solution isn't much fun. It means more hurt, more sweat, less yum. There are no mysteries to weight loss, just people who want something easier than the above solution.

You, sir, must have your masters degree in common sense. I hear your words far too seldom. I don't know why people try to make weight loss a mystery. I'm not losing very fast, but I know why. I enjoy food too much and dislike exercise too much. I know the math. It's coming off slowly. That's good enough for me right now.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options

I have a special needs child, my marriage was failing (now over), I work full time, I am bipolar, and...

I did it anyway.

You can make excuses to not get in shape, or you can work your *kitten* off to get in shape.

Here have a cookie. The OP isn't making excuses. She's actively trying new things, and just asking for other opinions/suggestions.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options

I did it anyway.

FTW^^
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

I did it anyway.

FTW^^

All useless information that doesn't help the OP at all, she is obviously working her *kitten* off, and is looking for ways to improve off of that. So why would shoving her whoa is me situation in her face to make herself look better help this person?
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options

I did it anyway.

Just wanted to let you know, Jessicaruby is on my friends list, she does try actively to get in shape, hence why she's frustrated, it's really just coming down to a numbers game. Though the post seems desperate, I think it's more just frustration making her come across this way. I don't think she's making any excuses, nor do I think she isn't working her butt off. This was kinda unwarranted IMO. She just really needs to dial in and apply herself to finding the right balance.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options

I did it anyway.

FTW^^

All useless information that doesn't help the OP at all, she is obviously working her *kitten* off, and is looking for ways to improve off of that. So why would shoving her whoa is me situation in her face to make herself look better help this person?
    She is saying she's going to quit if she doesn't get help.

I was pointing out that you can't rely on other people to achieve success. You have to do it on your own - yes, support is awesome and certainly helpful, but ultimately it comes down to the choices YOU make, regardless of whether or not you have the support you want.
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'd advise you to eat at about 1700 consistently for 2 months. Keep lifting. Get your minimum protein. Do some cardio. Don't worry about eating "clean" or "low carb", these are not necessary for weight loss.

This is really good advice.

Also, I would not put too much stock in online TDEE calculators -- I would just use them as a guide or starting place. It took me months of slowly adjusting my calories/checking results to figure out my true TDEE range (which turned out to be lower than the TDEEs that online calculators had projected me to be).

Good luck!
  • RumOne
    RumOne Posts: 266 Member
    Options

I did it anyway.

FTW^^

I was pointing out that you can't rely on other people to achieve success. You have to do it on your own - yes, support is awesome and certainly helpful, but ultimately it comes down to the choices YOU make, regardless of whether or not you have the support you want.

Well Said! :heart:
  • acg1305
    acg1305 Posts: 224 Member
    Options

I did it anyway.

FTW^^

Well Said! :heart:

Second that!
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    thank you for those that supplied useful information, links and ideas. EBBY I heart you. i guess i will see what happens. i am just frustrated. my boyfriend constently complains that i put working out and my diet ahead of other things in my life and that this is all i do. i just want something to show for all my efforts :frown: . @ ebby i stopped logging walks, bike rides, and abs. i only log my running, cycling, zumba and lifting routines now and i am keeping to this stricter diet that i started 2 weeks ago.. again thank you to all those that helped and those that didnt.... well way to be supportive :drinker:
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Wow, two really bad pieces of advice in one post........ (she wasn't asking for your opinion of what looks good, she's looking far advice on reducing her body fat%)

To the OP - you might want to revisit your BMR & TDEE calculations here:

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

I plugged in your height, weight & age and at "very active" your TDEE came back at under 2600 (gaining at 2400 tells me that it's above your TDEE)
    [/quote]

thanks for this website. i think my TDEE is probably more around 2300 based on this method. which would put me right at 1800 cals with a 500 calorie deficit. maybe i just need to give it more time. it just gets frustrating
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    thank you for those that supplied useful information, links and ideas. EBBY I heart you. i guess i will see what happens. i am just frustrated. my boyfriend constently complains that i put working out and my diet ahead of other things in my life and that this is all i do. i just want something to show for all my efforts :frown: . @ ebby i stopped logging walks, bike rides, and abs. i only log my running, cycling, zumba and lifting routines now and i am keeping to this stricter diet that i started 2 weeks ago.. again thank you to all those that helped and those that didnt.... well way to be supportive :drinker:

Ya know, it sounds like you might be "over training". He's right. You don't need to put that much time into working out. An hour 5 days a week is fine for most people unless you are training for some kind of endurance event.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Seriously Brechin89???? Please do some research before you post nonsense... Women Can NOT get bulky lifting Heavy weights... Their body does NOT allow it... They do NOT produce enough testosterone like a man's body.

The ONLY way they can is if they are taking drugs.

Stop with the false infomation.... Or Provide facts!

maybe your definition of a bulky woman is different than mine...

Here is an example of a woman bulking

http://images.askmen.com/galleries/actress/hilary-swank/pictures/hilary-swank-picture-1.jpg

to this

http://munfitnessblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/hilary-swank-resting-million-dollar-baby-maggie-fitzgerald.jpg

So please don't tell me woman can't bulk its obvious hillary bulked up...

Woman may not have testosterone levels that we have and why they can't bulk as fast or as good as us. But thier are woman body builders too...

Seriously? That is your example of bulky? :noway:
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    i am 25yrs old, mother of two (5 and 6). i am 5'7 and as of today weigh 148.8lbs. after being here for a while i decided i didnt want to just be skinny i wanted muscles. i went for a bulk/cut cycle. BIG MISTAKE!!! i bulked for 4months gaining 15lbs and 12 total inches. i bulked on 2400cals lifting heavy full body 3x a week/cardio 3x a week. then i started cutting. i dropped down to 2000cals and contuined my workouts. i wasnt losing so i dropped down to 1900 cals. still hardly a thing happened. i went on vacation to costa rica. april 9th for 10days. (weighed about 147) and couldnt work out (did alot of activities and walking though) and i piged out(no computer or phone= no logging) it was well worth it and i had a blast. got back home lowered my cals to about 1500 for a week to help make up for eating so much, then settled at 1800 cals. still doing my exericse routine. for almost two weeks now i have altered my diet by cutting out bread(i ate at least 2x a day) and replacing it with more complex carbs such as brown rice and oats. i started monitering my sugar ( i was ALWAYS over) and make sure i stay under 35grams a day. i aim for 180-200 grams of protein sometimes i even get in more. all i drink is water and my diet has been well under control since i got back. I am now back up to 148.8lbs and have only lost 2inches from my waist(at my bellybutton). What am i doing wrong???!!!!!

I have tried eating more, eating less, eating more protien, eating more clean, giving up foods, lifting more, running more, intervals, and still nothing. i have heard to get the toned, muscular look i want (goal is my profile pic) that i need to eat very low carb. i tried this for a day and i was hungry and super super super tired all day. i have seen others on here doing what i do and eating 12 pieces of bread a day and look like i want to......i just dont get what i am doing wrong and why nothing works for me. before i started on this sitei weighed 130lbs and ate whatever, whenever i wanted.

For a accurate answer, tell us what your workout routine is. What is your calorie deficit?

You want to be slim and toned. The "dream body" that it seems every woman wants.

Here is my best advice...

NO MORE HEAVY WEIGHTS!!!! Woman don't look good bulky in my opinion... Thats exactly whats going to happen if you keep lifting heavy and eating more than your burning. I would suggest circuit training and plyometics for your exercises. No weights needed, just do a google search on different body weight exercises.

Or just do p90x or insanity, when you do it, commit to it don't cheat yourself don't half *kitten* it... Just do it and get it out of the way. Once you mastered p90x pick up a different routine like the 300 workout...

Most important part is diet... Just watch your calories... I wouldn't go over 1400 if I were you. Take a dietary supplement to help with the food cravings, water also helps.

Agreed with mostly everything except the "no more heavy weights". That's just ignorant. But your point about lifting heavy and eating more than you're burning is correct.

Except that he didn't tell her to eat more, he told her to keep it under 1400 which is less...
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you got screwed in the metabolism genes and that really stinks. Based on all the activity that you listed, it does seem as if your TDEE should be a lot higher, but if you gained at 2400, it just isn't. At least not if everything was weighed, measured, logged accurately.

It is extremely frustrating! It has taken me one year to lose 9.8 lbs! Stick with 1800 for a bit longer. Also, I read somewhere that if you overtrain/overstress your body you will release more cortisol, actually doing exactly the opposite of what you are trying to do. Rest, do things you enjoy, spend time with your boyfriend that you've been neglecting.......Best wishes.
  • mereid36
    mereid36 Posts: 3
    Options
    Im not a registered dietician but I do have my degree in nutrition and nursing and my whole job focuses on helping people get healthy. My advise is to definitely pick a well balanced diet that includes lean protein, whole grain, lots of fruits and vegetable, and low fat dairy. Certain diets and changes in your diet can cause your body to retain water so be careful of that (dandelion root can help with water weight expecially on your abs). I would add in extra cardio and do a lower weight high rep strength training workout (if you belong to a gym try a body pump class or something similar). I also love plyometric exercise like the Insanity workout - it really gets my heart pumping and has drastically increased my lean muscle mass, plus its quick and I can do it at home (great for a busy schedule). I also encourage you to be patient, slow and steady weight loss is maintainable and increases you health and well being so in the long term the pay off is greater. Establish a diet plan that is livable for you. I hope this helps! Good luck!
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options

You want to be slim and toned. The "dream body" that it seems every woman wants.

Here is my best advice...

NO MORE HEAVY WEIGHTS!!!! Woman don't look good bulky in my opinion... Thats exactly whats going to happen if you keep lifting heavy and eating more than your burning. I would suggest circuit training and plyometics for your exercises. No weights needed, just do a google search on different body weight exercises.

Or just do p90x or insanity, when you do it, commit to it don't cheat yourself don't half *kitten* it... Just do it and get it out of the way. Once you mastered p90x pick up a different routine like the 300 workout...

Most important part is diet... Just watch your calories... I wouldn't go over 1400 if I were you. Take a dietary supplement to help with the food cravings, water also helps.

If "Giving Idiotic Advice" was an Olympic sport, you'd have a gold medal around your neck.

You have NO idea what kind of body the OP wants, but I can GUARANTEE you your opinion of what constitutes "bulky" means less than nothing to her, Some women like muscles. Get over it.
  • Jennacita
    Jennacita Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    DON'T LEAVE!!!!
    Please go to this group of well informed people, they have answers to a lot of your questions...most (if not all) are lifters!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less

read the red pins...proverbs31 (Kiki) and Lucinda are the best!

Kiki and Lucia know thier stuff. They do thier research and speak from experience. There are also lots of people over there that have had very positive experiences. Go to the boards and check it out. What do you have to lose?