Is it okay to have 'bad food' everyday?

Options

Replies

• MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I think for most people, not having bad/junk food on a daily basis would feel like major deprivation. Feeling deprived is a great way to fail your diet and feel like it's not a doable lifestyle for you. I eat bad stuff every day..more than once, but I'm always under my calorie goal, and try to make sure I'm eating healthy foods as well.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    BAD FOOD.. Naughty, No Bite!

weird-looking-food-006.jpg
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    OP,

Please clarify what you mean by "bad food".

Regards,

Me
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    "Bad" is subjective. If you ate a great "processed" meal (say a prepacked Lean Cusine with lower sodium) the "organic" crowd would say it's bad, while others who eat nothing but junk food would think it's healthy.

IMO, nothing is really "bad" if it keep you on track.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    See this article:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

the dude ate bad food and lost 27 pounds. BECAUSE HE STAYED WITHIN A CERTAIN CALORIE RANGE FOR WEIGHTLOSS.

- his body fat dropped from 33.4 to 24.9 percent ON A TWINKIE DIET

It's not healthy, but just goes to show that calorie deficits will STILL lead to weight loss.
    Actually he ate vegetables and consumed a protein supp everyday.

So? Accdg to the article 2/3 of his diet was junk. Which is the point of the discussion. Bad foods CAN still allow you to lose weight.
    Anytime we create a deficit these same improvements show up regardless of what we eat, so it's not about the twinkies it's about overall health improvements when someone loses weight. Eating the veg and protein was for nurishment. Eating that same twinkie diet in excess of calories will show some pretty detrimental health effects that I'm sure would be worse than the SAD diet that at least has some real food..
  • adamsilva
    adamsilva Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    IIFYM all the way baby!
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    It's fine. You'll lose weight because you are limiting your caloric intake... It's harder though because those "bad foods" are usually higher in calories, small, and don't keep you feeling full for long... well, unless it's bacon... Bacon is excellent for dieting...
  • joejccva71
    Options
    IIFYM all the way baby!

IIFYM crew holla
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I have an entire section in my diary labeled 'Desserts, Junk and Other Snacks'. I usually have MULTIPLE daily entries in that category. For example, yesterday I had a piece of coconut covered in dark chocolate, some coffee ice cream, a Kashi almond mocha granola bar, some Tostitos with salsa and a mini Butterfinger bar.

In the 400+ days I've been on MFP, I've never gone over calories. And... I also hit my goal weight back in February.

You'll hear lots of different advice from different people, but moderation worked GREAT for me. I won't give up any food that I enjoy. In my mind... there are no bad or forbidden foods - just bad or forbidden portion sizes. :-)
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling that you are just looking for someone to agree with you to justify what you are going to do anyways. Am I right?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    See this article:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

the dude ate bad food and lost 27 pounds. BECAUSE HE STAYED WITHIN A CERTAIN CALORIE RANGE FOR WEIGHTLOSS.

- his body fat dropped from 33.4 to 24.9 percent ON A TWINKIE DIET

It's not healthy, but just goes to show that calorie deficits will STILL lead to weight loss.
    Actually he ate vegetables and consumed a protein supp everyday.

So? Accdg to the article 2/3 of his diet was junk. Which is the point of the discussion. Bad foods CAN still allow you to lose weight.
    Anytime we create a deficit these same improvements show up regardless of what we eat, so it's not about the twinkies it's about overall health improvements when someone loses weight. Eating the veg and protein was for nurishment. Eating that same twinkie diet in excess of calories will show some pretty detrimental health effects that I'm sure would be worse than the SAD diet that at least has some real food..
    And you've just described the entire purpose of the Twinkie Diet. What you eat doesn't matter, how much you eat does.

As for the original question, there's no such thing as "good food" or "bad food."
  • Dreamweaver_5107
    Dreamweaver_5107 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think for most people, not having bad/junk food on a daily basis would feel like major deprivation. Feeling deprived is a great way to fail your diet and feel like it's not a doable lifestyle for you. I eat bad stuff every day..more than once, but I'm always under my calorie goal, and try to make sure I'm eating healthy foods as well.

Is that true ? I agree with you about sticking to your diet and not having some cheat food, but on a daily basis ? That kind of thinking is so foreign to me... I hate to think peoiple need cheat food that often. I guess I'm not most people... does that what we want to be though most people.... I thought that's what a lot of us were trying to avoid... I could be wrong and that's ok too... :)
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    IIFYM all the way baby!

IIFYM crew holla

Holla 'atcha!. gonna go eat some pop-tarts now!
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    you can lose weight by eating junk 24/7 as long as you stick to your calories, but for your health its better not to have it everyday.

Dont get me wrong, i love my treats and im not saying dont eat bad things ever, but try to limit them slightly without depriving yourself. In a week I will usually have 1 meal out, 1 fast food meal, and 1 or 2 sweet things (cake / icecream / chocolate / nice coffee)The rest of my meals are good healthy stuff to balance it out.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    IIFYM all the way baby!

IIFYM crew holla

Holla 'atcha!. gonna go eat some pop-tarts now!

Mmm...yes. Deserves it own food group!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling that you are just looking for someone to agree with you to justify what you are going to do anyways. Am I right?
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is any "bad" food. I didn't eliminate anything from my diet, but I ate a lot less of some things. The key for me was to stick within my calorie limit, and make sure I hit my macro's (protein, fat and carbs). I found it easier to stick to my limit and my macros when I ate healthier food as it is general more filling. If I wanted some sweet, or something high in fat though, I adjusted the rest of the day to fit it, knowing that I'd probably be hungry at the end of the day.

Calling food "bad" re-enforces the whole emotional link to food, like it is something naughty that you are getting away with, and getting pleasure from. Food is just fuel, all of it.
  • Dreamweaver_5107
    Dreamweaver_5107 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Another thing we are not considering is macro-nutrient ratios and the fact hat most people who have trouble losing weight are pretty insulin sensitive and should avoid high amounts of carbs. It you eating throws that out of whack then it could be detrimental. Now here it is when it gets back to goals as this problem would be more prevelant when trying to get very lean.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I don't believe any food is bad, it's eating habits that can be BAD!!!

I did give up chocolate & sweets for 8 weeks at the start, but I now have some every day because that's just me. I eat a balanced diet and that balance includes a little of what I fancy. What's the point in being thin and miserable? :drinker: